KLR650 carb issue advice air box flooding with gas ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by freeflow, Apr 2, 2008.

1. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    YO...seeking advice ..promptly...

I am in Arizona at the moment and leaving in an hour, I am gonna work on a buddy's klr before I go.

just got back from baja on the xr650rs...what a hoot...and they are all done up now, freshend the valves and oil and all :deal

time to get to this KLR

ADV challenge :deal

ok it is a 02, with california bullshit emmisions stuff. it has been sitting for 6 months or so.

start her up, and within half minute, airbox is flooding with gas. gas coming out of everywhere.

save my time please and tell me how to get this fixed within the next hour!!!

tick tock...GO!
  2. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    I am gonna fix it before ADVice comes in?

WTF?>....:lol3

come on people!!...

:lol3
  3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    In the next hour? Throw a match at it:lol3

Sounds like the float needle valve is stuck open by a piece of crud. You might get lucky and dislodge it by whacking on the side of the carb with a piece of wood or something. Another thing that has worked for me is open the float bowl drain (place a catch container of course) and run some fuel through the carb. Draining the bowl may open the valve enough to allow the crud to be flushed out. I forgot whether the KLR has a "prime" position on the petcock. If not you will have to supply a vacuum to get fuel flow.
    I don't know how the Cali charcoal cannister and junk is plumbed though, so who knows.
  4. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    thanks for playing..:lol3

gotta jet.

will deal with it remotely.

:freaky
  5. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:

pulled the carb off.....cleaned it out....with carb clkeaner...all seemed fine in the jets...same problem....buddy is gonna pull it off and look at the slide/diaphragm :dunno

there is a major amount of gas flooding into the airbox...

did the decali mod...that wasn't the problem.
  6. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    If a jet was plugged, it would run poorly, not flood the airbox.

That is weird.
    If your float was stuck, I'd expect the gas to pour out of the overflow tube.
    Maybe the float is stuck and the overflow tube is blocked / misrouted?

Thanks
    CA Stu
  7. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    Hi STU...thanks...yes....after about 30 seconds gas in POURING intot he airbox..I mean POURING....right out the intake screen intot he box and then out the overflow...some of the overflow fuel is gettig lifted and sucked back into the intake, but a steady flow is coming into the airbox..backwards...

wierd
  8. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    bowl was drained and tapped on, then carb pulled out, jets/carb blown out, then reinstalled and same issue.

but we were rushed and had a plane to catch

boots will get checked, they could be cracked I guess...it has been sitting under a tree in the shade in arizona for some months

nothing appears to be coming out the carb overflow, just the airbox drain.

could a cracked/torn slide diaphragm cause this? :dunno
  9. R_W

R_W wannabe

Oddometer:
    POURING :eek1

My guess is it is pumping through the coasting enricher which is stuck open.

Pull a vacuum on the petcock to open it or hook up a temp tank and look to see if you can see where the fuel is coming from.
  10. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:

UPDATE !!...

OMG

the gas into the airbox is coming from the CRANKCASE BREATHER!!! it has purged the oil and gas out into the AIRBOX!...WTF!!!!?

:ears
  11. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Are you sure?

Wow.

Drain the crankcase and see what is in there...

Thanks
    CA Stu
  12. azduster

azduster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    O.K. So I am the guy with the KLR, Yep Crankcase breather blowing gas into the airbox, Drain oil (NOT) Drain Gas from the crankcase!!!!, History------- Rode this KLR to BAJA approximately one year ago With FreeFlow (fun trip by the way) Got back changed oil cleaned air filter bla bla bla all the normal stuff. The bike has been sitting for that long ( sorry KLR neglect, feel bad about that) OK couple weeks ago go to start, dead battery- jump start- floods- jump start- floods. New battery -starts, floods, but gas pours out of airbox- !@#$%^&* -go to BAJA with FreeFlow on XR's (fun trip by the way) get back and now you know the rest of the story! Crankcase is drained letting it breathe till tommorrow then start over with oil. Ideas? concerns? suggestions?
  13. R_W

R_W wannabe

Oddometer:
    Simple flooded carb from leaving the petcock open (the stupid vacuum petcock can still dribble if the gasket is worn) EXCEPT,

It is just that the intake valve was open and it ran into the cylinder, then down through the ring gaps to the case.

When you crank/run it, it would POUR in with every downstroke.
  14. dogtired

dogtired SECRET ASIAN-MAN

Oddometer:
    With what you've described as "gas pouring out of the airbox", I'd be concerned about the possibility of hydrolock. I'd err on the side of caution and remove the sparkplug and crank it over to let the gas pump out of the cylinder through the sparkplug hole cuz' if you don't all that pressure and energy in that 'sealed' cylinder has to go somewhere on the compression/upstroke. Where? It could go to the rod....as in bent rod. Ya' might wanna change the oil as well. Just sayin'.....
  15. ballistic_ken

ballistic_ken Helmet hair victim.

Oddometer:
    My DR650 just did the same damn thing. I tore the carb apart today, sure the floats were stuck. Cleaned the carb and put it all back together. Then I happened to glance at the oil level sight glass.

Can the vacuum petcocks be rebuilt, or would I be better off converting to a non vacuum activated one?
  16. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:

the bike has been run many times since ...so a little late on that.

yes, AZDuster said it was gas that was drained out of the case...NOT OIL!....the oil has been purged out the breather thru the airbox...OMG! :huh :huh ...when the breather tube was pulled off the case, and then started, gas shooting out of the nipple on the case

the petcock was rebuilt priro to last years Baja trip.

this is a problem when you have too many bikes...some get neglect...shame shame on Todd :lol3
  17. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Had a ZRX that did this. The diaphram in the fuel petcock was torn and it allowed the fuel to freeflow into the oil filling the crankcase (we drained 8L out of a 3L case) Once we changed the petcock it was fixed. The petcock on the ZRX is On, Prime, Res. I know the KLR is On, Off, Reserve. Not sure about the diaphram set up in that petcock.
    Thats just my experience. Good luck let us know what happens
  18. azduster

azduster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap Ok after draining oil (GAS). Left oil filter out, fill and drain bolt out and pulled spark plug-let sit for the rest of the day and night. This morning refill oil, push start and she's happy, running fine. Now to show her some love--New chain and sprocket, new clutch cable, maybe even a wash:clap
  19. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:

or simply turn the effer off when leaving it sit neglected for soo long :loco :ddog :eek2 :yikes :doh :flip :flip :whip :whip
  20. ballistic_ken

ballistic_ken Helmet hair victim.

Oddometer:
    I did about the same, just got done. One think I'd add is to tear apart the petcock and replace that o-ring. Now I have no gas dripping by the petcock when bike is not running. I am sure that is the initial cause of all the trouble.

Does the KLR have an off position on the petcock? My DR doesn't. That little o-ring is gonna be a regular maintenance item for me from now on.

I'm guessing I had 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of gas in the oil.