Kauai Dirt biking

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Wentjo, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Wentjo

Wentjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know of a place in Kauai I could rent a dualsport bike? Or a place that does rentals/tours?
  2. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    There was one dealer in Kapaa who used to conduct tours with Honda XR650Ls and Suzuki DR-350s or maybe DR-Z400s. But the last time I was there, they had dropped that service. Just about the only bike you can rent on Kauai is a Harley or other cruiser. Unless you want a scooter or moped, but I wouldn't ride one of those very far on that island.

A day riding a Harley around the island can be fun, as long as you stay on the pavement and don't try to get too frisky in Waimea Canyon.
  3. braknstuf

braknstuf Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
  5. Wentjo

Wentjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, I'm finding that there isn't much there for dual sport rentals. Maybe I could find one to buy for the week. :D
  6. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Asked a local if there was any riding when there in September. He said since the island is almost all private or park, there wasn't hardly anywhere that I could ride.
  7. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I've seen dirt bikes in the lower parts of Waimea Canyon and I understand that you can ride on the sand at Polihale State Park on the west side at the north end. There are more dirt roads available in Waimea Canyon if you have a licensed dual sport. Dirt roads also available west of Kapaa in the forest.

But you're right about nearly all of the possible good stuff being private land.