I Want to Dabble in Nastalgia

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by erkmania, Aug 28, 2012.

1. erkmania

erkmania I Remain Undeturd

Oddometer:
    I want to get a mid 70's two stroke and currently have my eye on a one owner '74 DT250 listed at $925. It looks in good condition and would be a good first re-entry project.

The trouble is that I don't know how to value the bike. I tried KBB and Ebay for comps, but didn't really have much luck. I don't mind paying slightly more than street value for the bike I want, but I do want to make educated decisions. Any help from this forum would be great.

I really have my eyes on anything Suzuki from the '70's. I missed out on a Buffalo or two last year and I haven't seen a worthy TS project, yet. I think half the fun is the treasure hunt so I'm in no rush.

Thanks, Eric
  2. KennyV

KennyV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My opinion, I think the 74 DT250A is a good choice. I think that’s a good price for one in good running condition, especially if it’s stock and complete. This is my (actually the wife’s) DT250A, which was a restoration project. This is one of the most reliable, dependable, and predictable bikes we have ever owned and it’s a blast to ride.
    [​IMG]
  3. erkmania

erkmania I Remain Undeturd

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^

Wow, that's nice. Is that a trophy on the seat?

The bike I'm looking at does need more work than I thought. It's not nearly as nice. I'm going to shoot for a lower bid and see where it takes me. Wish me luck.
  4. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    :raabia I bought one of these brand new, less than $900 including tax, title, registration and 6 months insurance. :norton :freaky
    2) you need to find some thermal flow shocks and a rubber boot for the kick starter pivot and it'll be perfect.
  5. KennyV

KennyV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea! I couldn’t believe it, I was going to a local bike show sponsored by the VJMC. I figured what the heck, I’m going to the show so I’ll take the 250. Ended up winning a second place trophy.
  6. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice :evil