CD trail from Seeley Mt to Holland Lake?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by KTMarty, Jul 11, 2009.

1. KTMarty

KTMarty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Planning on riding the CD route from South to North end of this month and looking at the mountain bike route It shows the route going through this area.

The pic below shows the Northern section of the route just North of Seeley Montana and East of 83. All my map books shows this route does not go through where the gap is between the route. Owl creek run through the gap.
    [​IMG]

Has anyone done this route on a large bike (950)? Can you get across owl creek where the gap is at?

Thanks
  2. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Marty,

I just rode through there a about two weeks ago with Dirtrider. I WAS on a 950 SE.

If memory serves, and it probaly does, that section is a two track which is closed off (gated) to motorized traffic. We rode north to south and came up to a closed gate where we ended up having to turn south-west back to Hyw 83 to bypass the section. No worries, you'll only miss a relatively short section.

Here a picture of dirtrider giving the thumbs-up at the gate on the north side of the closed section:
    [​IMG]
  3. KTMarty

KTMarty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for ultra speedy reply.

Was just trying to find alternate routes off of Hwy 83

I also have these alternate routes. Are they worth going on?
    We be heading from South to North. Yellow route does not go through.

[​IMG]
  4. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Sorry Marty but that was the extent of my knowledge of that area. I suggest sending a PM to Dirtrider since he knows that area like only a local would. I suppose it helps that he lives just norh of there and is one of the most active riders I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

Ping him for reliable info.

Uli
  5. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Uli, you are quick!

He beat me to it, but yes, the road exists but is gated.

The other routes you have marked are all gated or cross private property. Once you come out on Hwy 83 at Morrell Creek south of Seeley Lake, slab it to FR9558 which is a nice loop that takes you to Holland Lake (this is the route that Uli and I took) the Lodge at Holland Lake is awesome if you have time to stop. Once you loop back to Hwy 83, you will have to slap it to Cold Creek south of Condon to pick the trail back up. If our hungry, stop at the gas station a few miles south of Condon. The lady there will BUILD you a sandwich.:clap
  6. KTMarty

KTMarty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch for the info guys.

This will save us time since we only have a week to do the ride.

How about this alternate route from Basin to Helena? I saw this on the Mountain bike Map but my buddy has it and not 100% sure if this is the correct route. Just did it through mapsoure.

From Basin taking Cataract Creek Rd/Corral Gluth Rd/N Fork Travis Creek Rd/Big Buffalo Creek Rd and then Grizzly Gulch DR to Helena.

[​IMG]
  7. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The purple route is a lot of fun and fairly easy to follow and you don't have to go into Helena.

[​IMG]

The best pizza I've ever eaten was in Basin, Montana and Boulder Hot Springs is an awesome place to stay if you hit Basin near dark.

Amazon on that map is the Boulder Tunnel if you want to explore a nice side trip.

[​IMG]

Also, if you have a little extra time, the ghost town of Comet is minutes from Basin.
  8. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    What you are proposing there looks like the route around Lava Mountain. I also tried to do this going north last month but found it very difficult to navigate - we actually could not find the route after going up Cataract Creek Rd for several miles -. We tried for a while but eventually had to give up and return to Basin (this is when one in our party had a trip ending crash).

Lava Mountain is considered by most to be quite technical and thus avoided by the average GDT travelers - not sure what the "average" really means, but you get my point -. My personal opinion, take it or leave it, is that with a 950 and plenty of gear stapled to the back, you'll do much better with the purple route.

Having said that, if you do take the route around Lava Mountain, you better take lots of pictures and inform the rest of the world how you found it and what condition the trail is in.

Take Dirtriders advise and make a sidetrip to/through the Boulder Tunnel (marked as "Amazon" on your posted map and located only a few miles NNW of Boulder). I tried and failed to go through because of an ice blockage in the tunnel. I would reason that this blockage should be melted sufficiently by now to allow you to make it through. Don't be surprised by the 20+ inches deep water shortly after entering the south side as it only last a few (10 or so) yards before shallowing out again. Your 950 will be fine - but don't try it on a scooter :wink: -.
  9. KTMarty

KTMarty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for the info.

We are both experienced dirt bike riders so a little challenge would be fun. If we go up either Cataract Creek Rd or Amazon will post pics and info.

Really looking forward to the ride.
  10. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would avoid Quartz Creek loaded up on a 950. Going down is do-able but SLOW and rough and lots of rocks. You would be better served to go down lump gulch. not as exciting. FYI Park lake camp ground is closed this summer.
  11. montanaGS

montanaGS sig sputnik

Oddometer:
    Another alternate route on the east side of 83 is Old Squeezer Loop (north of Condon) to Cilly Creek (comes out just south of Porcupine).
  12. killstrees

killstrees Adventurer

Oddometer:
    another good loop would be falls river to lion creek on the east side (fs roads 901 to 9769) starting at the airstrip in condon which would get you a couple of views and possibly see some wildlife, but then back to the hwy, if you do the east loop you'll miss the gas station so plan for it if that is the way you go. Owl loop, and that clearwater lake loop road just north of seeley have some great views of the swan range, so they are also quite worth it. Have fun.
  13. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    Any idea why the road is closed? Just temporary? Looks like a good road--will be riding that this summer and just interested. Thanks
  14. montanaGS

montanaGS sig sputnik

Oddometer:
    Why is it gated? Ask your Congressman. Road closures.

I realize the CDT goes along the west side of 83, but the east side has some of the best riding and, as noted, early in the morning or late in the evening you have a real chance of sightings of bear (yes, grizzly), elk or many other critters. During the mid-day, it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other for which side of 83 you choose. If gas is a worry, just make sure you fill up in Seeley. If camping is planned, it's also easy on the east side (Cilly Creek, e.g.).
  15. KTMarty

KTMarty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you done this route in blue?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. KTMarty

KTMarty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey montanaGS: Could you take a look at this other thread I started and Check if this route is open to big bikes 6) alternate route MT1_Alt1.

This route is also from the Mountain Bike guide. Just West of Yellowstone.

Thnx
  17. killstrees

killstrees Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The road is closed for grizzly bear security. In order to comply with an amendment to the Flathead National Forest Plan, the forest closed several pieces of existing road to motorized travel. this was in order to meet a road density requirement favorable to security for bears, and not motorized recreation. However, the road is used for timber harvest and administrative work somewhat regularly. :huh
  18. montanaGS

montanaGS sig sputnik

Oddometer:
    I'm not familiar with the route out of Yellowstone. I did meet up with some mountain bikers when I was riding my pig down in Bannack area, and they said they had seen pigs and KTM Adventures on their bike trail outside of Yellowstone, but that is all I know.

On the Swan, I may get down there this weekend and check out your blue routes to see the status of the road closures - if I do, I'll report back. It's my back yard.
  19. montanaGS

montanaGS sig sputnik

Oddometer:
    Ok, so here is the scoop. You can get from Seeley to just short of Holland Lake. Then, if you wish, you can pick up dirt again after a couple of miles to bring you into Holland Lake. Is it worth it? I would say "definately." There is no reason to buzz through the Swan on slab and this diversion will give you some quality riding. It is one of the better rides in the Swan with great views of the Bob Marshall Wilderness and the Mission Mountains.

Directions (right north of Seeley town): Morrell Creek (r); 4353 (l); 4343(l) - this is about a half mile from where 4353 ends for motorized vehicles (the mountain bike routes show this as continuing because it does for them!); 720(r); 4362(r); 720(r) (sign here for Holland Lake); 4370(r) (this is the Clearwater Lake road that is only open after 6/30). You then come out on 83 because of road closures. From there, it is only a couple of miles to Owl Creek Road (9558) which takes you to Holland Lake. From there, you buzz north to Cold Creek for the rest of the Swan (nice grocery/gas/deli about a mile south of Cold Creek).

I've attempted to attach the Garmin tracks and a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

20. montanaGS

montanaGS sig sputnik

Oddometer:
    A pic.

Attached Files:

• why.jpg
      why.jpg
      File size:
      120.6 KB
      Views: