WV dualsports,check in

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Tetched, Mar 4, 2008.

1. wvrocks

wvrocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We got a little in Elkins on Sunday night into Monday. Wasn't enough to make much of a difference in the rivers.
  2. Wvtrailsmith

Wvtrailsmith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just enough to settle the dust, should be good riding:evil
  3. Wvtrailsmith

Oddometer:

I will second that, I almost got hit last weekend. :dog
  4. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind DRZ400S

Oddometer:
    Looking at maybe going on a good ride tomorrow. Haven't really rode outside of Raleigh county. Looking to go north toward Pocohontas county. Any recommendations? Preferably maps.
  5. wvdirtbiker

wvdirtbiker MILES2GO

Oddometer:

If you are trying to stay on secondary roads, one option is to go out thru Piney View and take Rt41 across New River.
    About 4 or 5 miles past the Prince train depot, take a right on Bacus Mountain Rd. That will take you to Meadow Bridge.
    At Meadow Bridge, take a left on Rt20 for about 5 miles to Springdale. Take a right there on CR29 which will take you to Rt60 at Sam Black Church.
    Go east on Rt60 about 5 miles or so to the Alta exit at I-64.
    From there, take CR60-10 north and follow the signs to Williamsburg. Then turn right on CR17 which will take you to Rt219 at Frankford.
    From there, north will take you to Marlinton. South will take you to Lewisburg.

I think the official WV Road map will show most of those roads.
  6. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind DRZ400S

Oddometer:
    Good deal, thanks. Haven't really been up in that part of the state. I always tended to go toward Wyoming, Boone, Kanawaha counties.
  7. Gabby

Gabby Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like to turn north off of 60 in Rupert towards Clearco. That road will take you all the way to Richwood
  8. wvdirtbiker

wvdirtbiker MILES2GO

Oddometer:

I considered suggesting that way, but once you get near the windmills, it's easy to get lost on that mountain.
    Also, once you get to Richwood, you pretty much have to follow Rt39 all the way to Mill Point, unless you know the dirt roads east of Richwood and over to Rt219.
    Lots of roads in there, but you really need a guide the first few times.
  9. Gabby

Gabby Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd run up to Cowen and take the Williams River rd to Edray. Jump across 219 and take the Back Mt rd to Cass. All rural rds
  10. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind DRZ400S

Oddometer:
    My plan was to take wvdirtbiker's directions above but I ended up at Babcock State Park, fished for about 30 minutes, and then went to Pies and Pints to eat and back home to take a nap. For a failure it was a real success.
  11. Wvtrailsmith

Oddometer:
    Decided to go for a little ride this evening, hadn't ridden since last weekend and the 690 was calling me :lol3 plus I wanted to try out my new boots.

I found an awesome road not 5 miles from my house, there were dirt roads and side by side paths going everywhere. I wanted to explore more of them but I was by myself and it was muddy and slick (I may have tried them if my spot would get here) so I just stayed on the main path.

Crappy cell pics
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Said new boots
    [​IMG]
    Safely back in it's little home
    [​IMG]

I'm really liking this bike, for where I ride and how I ride it's just about perfect :clap for me anyways. I just noticed on the second pic I have a bolt missing out of my heat shield on the exhaust.

Pray for me, a buddy of mine wants to go riding tomorrow. He has a rzr, hope he doesn't run over me :rofl
  12. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a KTM, buy your Loctite in bulk. :lol3
  13. Wvtrailsmith

Oddometer:
    I know, right :rofl
  14. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gospel :deal

Glad I can get mine from work.
  15. Wvtrailsmith

Oddometer:
    The family and I are going to Hillsboro, WV in Pocahontas County for a 4 day weekend and of course I'm bringing my bike :D What are some of the must see roads to ride while I'm there? The dirtier the better. Thanks!
  16. wvdirtbiker

wvdirtbiker MILES2GO

Oddometer:

I can suggest a couple of rides.
    From Hillsboro, go thru Watoga State Park and turn left immediately after the lake. Go across the mountain to the stop sign on CR21. Take a right there and go about 2 miles, past the Beaver Creek campground on the left and another park road on the right.
    Take the first right, about 1/2 mile (still CR21) after the park road.
    That is a good gravel road for about a mile then begins to disintegrate quickly.
    It's probably only 4 or 5 miles of bad road and it's really nasty. I've heard it's open again after that bad storm a couple of years ago.
    The road turns good again and eventually comes out near Blue Bend.
    I went thru there on the DR about 3 years ago by myself and won't do it again.
    If I'm up there that weekend, I'll do it with you. Let me know which weekend.

Another more sedate ride would be to go thru Watoga as described earlier but turn left on CR21 and go about 8 miles to Huntersville. At the stop sign at Rt39, take a right and stay on that route to the VA state line, about 8 or 9 miles.
    About a 100 yards before the state line, you will see FR55 on the left.
    That is 20 miles of gravel road that roughly follows the VA/WV state line all the way.
    It comes out on Rt84 again at the VA/WV state line and about a mile from my place.
    Turn left on Rt84 and go 4 1/2 miles to Frost. Take a left on Rt92 for 10 miles and you will intersect Rt39 again. West(right) on Rt39 will get you back to Huntersville.
  17. Wvtrailsmith

Oddometer:
    Wvdirtbiker thanks for the info. I will definitely check those roads out. We're going down this Thursday the 24th and leaving Sunday. That would be great if you wanted to go for a little ride, but my wife and son will be with me and I would have to work it around swimming, fishing, canoeing and bicycle riding.
  18. wvdirtbiker

wvdirtbiker MILES2GO

Oddometer:

Sorry, I won't be able to make it this week. We just picked up the grandkids today, probably for all week.
  19. Wvtrailsmith

Oddometer:
    Another time maybe, we love it over there. We go at least once a summer. Thanks for the heads up on the roads.:thumb
  20. cleanair

cleanair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The last time I rode fr55 i was almost ran off the road by a bear hunter in a truck with his dogs on top!
    Be Careful!