Tom Tom Rider Route Downloads

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Europe, Africa, & Middle East' started by bmwironbutt, May 27, 2006.

1. bmwironbutt

bmwironbutt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Within three weeks I should the proud owner of a spanking new R1200GSA, so I'm starting to plan a few trips to break her in. I'm considering buying a TOM TOM RIDER GPS as they seem to be the best on the market at the moment, but as far as I find there is no mention of whether it's possible to download pre-defined routes for going off-road from the internet. Also do the maps that come with the unit have off road tracks included or just the main roads?

Anyone know off any good websites for off-road riding in Spain?

Comments most appreciated.

IronButt

K1200RS (56,000kms)
    R1200GSA (Still waiting)
  2. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    why don't you fill out your profile so we know who we're talking to, or not as the case may be
  3. bmwironbutt

bmwironbutt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've moved this thread to the main "layin down tracks" area. Profile updated as requested....:deal
  4. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have tried the TomTom software loaded onto a GPS equipped PDA so I may be able to offer a few pointers:
    • Tomtom software doesn't allow you to preplan routes on your PC and transfer them to the device
    • It's not possible to enter Lat/Long co-ordinates and navigate via them if your planning off-road routes
    • you can't store tracks and save them to your PC to share with others
    • theres little in the way of traditional GPS functions that you'd get on the most basic handheld Garmin unit.
    The tomtom is very good at simple A to B navigation and has very detailed maps of europe - pretty much street level for the whole of europe. If your sticking to tarmac and just want to key in a destination then it'll do a good job and you'll be happy.
    However from what you say in your question you'd probably be better off with one of the Garmin units. I picked up a Streetpilot III off ebay and i'm very happy with it. It will do everything you're looking for, though being an older model it's a bit bulky and slow to operate.
    For similar money to the Tomtom you could get either the 2610 or a Quest2. Either of these would easily mount on the bike. The best thing about the Garmin units is you can plan routes either off-road or on tarmac on your PC at home and transfer them to the device. You can also record a track of your journey as you travel.
    Take a look at the garmin website for more info.

Hope this helps.
  5. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd agree with you that a PDA running TomTom is potentially more flexible than the Garmin units if you've got the time/inclination to mess around with software on the PC. I'd also agree that if you're sticking to tarmac in western europe then the TomTom map coverage is excellent. The problem is most 'Adventure Riders' don't want to stick to tarmac all the time...

If you're planning off road routes then I still think the Garmin is the better design. TomTom doesn't give you the ability to program waypoints into the unit in Lat/Long format to create off road routes.

Example:
    I was on holiday in Slovenia and Croatia last month and wanted to ride a few trails. I bought myself a map, marked out my route and measured off a dozen or so co-ordinates. I then keyed them straight into my Garmin GPS and used them to create a basic off-road route.
    Can this be done on a TomTom Rider without access to a PC?? If it could then I'd be very interested in one.
    The ability to use the unit as a true GPS device which will give you an exact grid reference of your location and allow you to program in waypoints by grid reference is something Garmin have retained in their units - although it's now being left off the new TomTom style in-car units. I'll be interested to see if it's been kept on the new bike specific model due out soon. I suspect it'll be a dumbed down sat-nav similar to most other in-car units, ie designed for people who don't know how to use a map and just want to get from A to B as quickly as possible.
  6. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't think that I'm anti-TomTom, because I'm not - it's just that out of the box using the supplied software I found the Garmin better suited to my needs, without the need to resort to 3rd party software.
    My observations were based on the version of TomTom I had installed on a PDA and the supplied TomTom software. Maybe they've updated the features since then.
    Just had a look on the TomTom website and they've reduced the price on the Rider to £250:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=146&Category=0&Lid=1

I had been thinking about upgrading my Garmin to a more upto date model, but for this sort of money I'd be willing to give the TomTom another try for road touring and keep the old Garmin for off-roading.

From a practical point of view how are you route planning on your PC, as this was my main annoyance with the unit I had? Do TomTom now supply route editing software for the PC or are you using Autoroute and then 3rd party software to convert it to a TomTom itinary file? And what about waypoints?

Thanks
  7. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips.
  8. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, thanks for the info on the converting utility. I got a tomtom rider for my sport touring bike last year and think it is absolutely wonderful for paved navigation. I'm not sure why so many riders over here in the US are anti-Tomtom, it is a really good product.

But, my one complaint about my tomtom rider is I can't route plan on the computer. And I am just starting in on adventure riding and can't figure out how to do waypoints on the unit itself using a gps position unless I'm there. Maybe I can figure this stuff out with the conversion software you are recomending.

Thanks again,
    D
  9. patrick56

patrick56 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :1drink I don´t understand why you can´t plan your route on a pc. Using the supplied usb cable and the TomTom Home application you get by clicking the "My Rider" a virtual Rider on the screen. Using the mouse and powering it up you can use it in the same way as the real. Much easier using the pc. Offroad use is a little bit hard as the offroad is only green. Using the lat and long works well as does the compass. Check that you have the latest version of the Home as the older didn´t include all nice features.
  10. claudio17

claudio17 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how do you do all this?

Can you plan on the unit itself?

Can you save your tracks?

It seems everybody has this problems with the rider. I was thinking of buying one and was a bit disencouraged until I saw your post.
    thank´s for all the tips:clap
  11. mwd

mwd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noted recently that the Rider was discontinued, as at £250 it was very tempting. The reason is that rider 2 is due out end of May. There's a press release over at Tom Tom's web site:

Silly long URL not quoted here :)

Most interestingly is that it comes with a Stella-Rider headset, which I was temtped to get a pair of anyway for talking to the gf when she's playing pillion.

It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up. I need a GPS both for the car and the bike, and my gf (the car owner) use to have a TomTom one, so she's pro us getting a TomTom Rider. Also, if it's in the £300 to £400 range as suggested it'll be a lot cheaper than the Garmin Zumo, and that's with the SR headset.

The only fear I have is that I've read quite a few people on advrider dis the Rider for failing after a few months due to vibration problems - as a Uly rider I'm not short on vibrations :wink:
  12. GTinAus

GTinAus nutsplitter

Oddometer:
    OK, I will start again, first, I will say, I made a comment, NOT a statement.

And neither did I say one system is better than another.

As for being boring, the fact that there are so many different systems and devices available, proves my point about being boring...one particular system does not suit all.

Now, my smart friend, any gps system suited for Australia, is suited for Europe, as long as the right mapping software is installed, if it is unavailable, then the gps is usless in that area it is unavailable in, dont you think?

We must also remember, if we are using the American gps satelites, they are coming to the end of their usefull life, and as they are controlled by the military, who is to say they wont just simply be turned off. I cant comment about the soviet ones, as I dont know who is now controlling them.

there are many and varied moving map software programs, I chose OziExplorer, because it suits my needs, and my budget. I have used mapinfo, and found it bulky and inconvenient to use, having many features I would never use, and to my knowledge, is not available for PDA's (could be wrong, frequently am).

Importing a map into OziExplorer, doesnt mean you have to live in Australia, in fact most of his sales are into America and Europe. He even provides a free utility to convert maps, as long as they are not in raster format, as the maps for the TomTom are.

Maps for Tom Tom and other similar products, are really only suitable for Highway touring, and for finding your way around cities, and they are brilliant at doing that.

Back to the moving map software, in particular, OziExplorer, if you cant find maps, that can be imported into it covering europe and Asia, you probably are not trying.

If you cannot find a map with cordinates electronically attatched, it is a rather simple task (and it is detailed in the help file) to scan a paper map, or import a digital map, and calibrate it.

I could carry on and on, for you see, I use a moving map and GPS's as part of my profession, and do have a little knowledge. However I will be the first to admit, I dont know it all, far, far from it.

Now, back to you......
  13. patrick56

patrick56 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out the new Tyre software for the TomTom Rider on the web. Use the Google Earth to plan your trips or follow ups. The site makes it also possible to swap "scenic routes".:1drink
  14. jallejulle

jallejulle MK Pionjär nr 99

Oddometer:
    emelgee you are wrong, wrong , wrong,
    my tomtom plans my ride, i can pre plan it on my computer whit TYRE. using googel earth.
    i can save my tracks long and short, and i love my tomtom:clap :clap :clap .
    download programm from this site and your tomtom is as god as garmin,
    http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/plugins.php?lang=uk
    http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

that is my piont of view....
    i hope i dident step on some garmin users now.:wink:
    and i swap my routs whit other tomtom users.
    GTinAus i use my tomtom only offroad, so a dissegre, it works fantastic offroad, it never lose contact in the woods. i sitt in my basement and it works.
    the programms above make it ahole new gps, i promise :ricky

ps sorry for my bad english

Attached Files:

15. petesonhisway

petesonhisway Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. jallejulle

Oddometer:
    super thanks,
    i have some garmin routs, i hope i can convert them whit this programm .:clap

one route is from the south tip of sweden to the very top up north. some 2200 kilometers.of manly dirt roads. whold be great to ride a part of this "scenic" rout this summer.

Johan
  17. petesonhisway

petesonhisway Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could be a great ride!

You should have no problems doing the conversion using ITN Converter. If you do, maybe I can help.

Pete
  18. Voyager61

Voyager61 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All

Just stumbled on this thread ... thanks for the useful links for TomTom resources ... My Rider 2 Europe is coming and I'm looking forward to getting to grips with it. This links will help too.

Cheers

V61
  19. jallejulle

Oddometer:
    i have tested the programms on my friends tomtom edition 2, and it dosent work, not all of them , only some, i hope they fix it soon. hope you will have fun .
    the convertion programm for garmin tracks too tomtom is working.
    try all of them it will not damage your tomtom..
  20. cb400f

cb400f Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

I use Tyre and I'm quite content. It's a dutch program, but it allows you to plan your routes on google maps.
    The downside is that you do need an internet connection, so not that conveniënt when on the road, but quite nice to do some preperation.
    Tyre has become a commercial company, but there still is a freeware edition.
    Next to the planning of a route, it do create waypoints on my way, there for i use Tripmaster. Simply start it when you start and download it into tyre when you're done for the day.

Altough the freeware version of tyre is quite nice I'm concidering to buy it for a little more functionality.
    Just a hint ;)

ow by the way, it also converts your route for the garmin as well