Batteries

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by DaveBall, Dec 11, 2012.

1. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was just wondering if anyone has looked at and has any information about the Shorai LFX batteries? Just saw an ad on my local Craigslist from a local dealer. Never seen them before. Seems like a great option for those that are doing cafe bike and want to go with something a lot lighter and smaller, but just as powerful as the old school type batteries.

Any thoughts or experience??
  2. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have those batteries in 2 of my dirt bikes and find them great , you can trickle charge them but don't charge them with a regular charger unless you can turn the rate way down .I have one of their dedicated chargers and have no problems .

Same batteries for 3 years so far.
  3. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had one in a 30 year-old UJM for about two years.

It works.

Take a peek here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/search.php?searchid=21219133 :deal
  4. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, definitely something to think about when I need a new one. My present gel batteries are still holding out fine after 3 years. The Lithium ones aren't cheap, but if they last as long as they say, could be well worth it.
  5. Mizumoto

Mizumoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    'Just checked my BMW AGM battery today from my 2001 R1100s (48kmi). I was doing the usual PM stuff with an airfilter change and I usually like to check the battery since it is also tucked waaaay under the tank and hard to get to normally. My HFT cheapie load tester read the AGM battery as good. But since I was going to the dealer anyhow to pick up a filter, I took the AGM in to have them officially test it on their expensive German tester. It read "good battery" with the service guy handing me the printout. Wow. So it has worked for me since 2004 for,...going on 9 years!! I ride pretty much year round commuting and throwing it on a Batt Tender when not riding for more than a week. BTW, I tried the newer Ballistic Lithium Ion Powersports Battery 12 Cell. It did not fit first of all with it being 1cm too wide. But through wiring it up anyhow the cranking performance was about the same as the old AGM. But I hear the Lithium Ion units only lose 1% charge /yr. vs the lead acid/AGM at 1%/day. And they improve in cranking power as they heat up with successive tries,...or so I am told. Hope that helps!:wink: