GS or GSA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Bumpaman, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Dude69

Dude69 Usurper of Gov'ts

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  2. BMWGScott

BMWGScott GScott

Oddometer:
    I have had several GS's and loved them but had always wanted the Adventure but was intimidated by the size and weight. Then I rode an Adventure. Wow, what an awesome bike, even compared to the GS. They really are not that much heavier. Most people buy a GS, add lights, engine guards, panniers, etc. and soon, the only difference in weight is the SS rear luggage rack and the larger tank. Yes it is heavier by about 25 lbs due to the extra fuel it holds, but really, not much difference in weight in the end. What you do get, and what I love, is the additional wind/rain protection, and not having to fill up every 200 miles if you don't want too. Plus it just looks good. With what you get with an Adventure, and what you will add to the GS, the cost and the weight come pretty close, and that is without adding a new tank to the GS. I love my Adventure, and by the way, I am 5'8" and 144 lbs with a standard seat.
  3. orgo

orgo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That's amazing , you have skills . I'm 5'8" 150lbs and couldn't even reach the ground to get it off the center stand from a sitting position. Then it was a reach to the ground and barely could touch just the tip of my toes.
  4. KsFolly

KsFolly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6ft and some times have trouble getting my GS off the center stand.

5'8" on and adventure is hats off for schizzle.
  5. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read the book, pretty sure you are not suppose to be on the bike and roll it off the stand on any of the 1200 GSs. I've busted the stand bolts, not fun.
  6. Bumpaman

Bumpaman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Foot of the Sangre de Cristos and Music City, TX.
    Thanks to y'all for your honest and passionate responses. I know in the end it is ride them both and choose, but your input has been a big help. Either way, GS or GSA, is a win for us. We cant wait to see what we end up with. After much research, I think we will be looking for a 2010 or newer because of the OHC. If you know of one, I would appreciate a heads up. Thanks again. You guys rock!!!
  7. Porterhouse

Porterhouse n00b

Oddometer:
    I look forward to the "lightness" of the GSA. currently ride the harley Ultra Limited all 950 pounds plus ... of all the reading I have done on this the GSA sounds to be the perfect all round road two up tourer and dirt "road" motorcycle. I plan on getting the GSA for my Europe trip in 2014/2015 but just have to wait to see when the WC will be availble in Canada. my vote is the GSA ( either current or new WC) good luck and ride safe.
  8. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    You maigh be disappointed in that "lightness" because the center of gravity on the GSA is stratospheric compaired to your old hog, especially when the gas tank is full. The beast does get sleepy and want to nap at inopportune times. That being said, I'd take the GSA over the hog.
  9. SiouxsieCat

SiouxsieCat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have owned both. Both are great for touring. I pretty much stick to asphalt and "tame" trails. It is my only vehicle and my daily driver (when it snows, I'm on the bus).
    Owned the GS for a couple of years before shopping around for new panniers (came to hate the Varios), engine guards, and winglets; I just ended up trading in the GS and went to an Adventure. I'm spoiled by the larger tank now that I have it.
    Like BMWGScott said, the weight difference isn't great, and you'll end up buying Adventure farkles anyway (engine guards, winglets). With the fatter tank and aluminum cases, the GSA feels a little bulkier maneuvering around slow or stopped, compared to the standard GS with Varios. I got used to it.
    (5'9" 140lbs)
  10. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    + 1
  11. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably repeating what has already been stated but after having owned a R1150GS (standard) for 10 years I sold it to a friend and then began the hunt for a replacement. Considered a Triumph but in the end realized I wanted to stay with BMW. So now to decide standard GS or Adventure. In addition to the better fit of the Adventure to my 6'3' frame I also realized a lot of the Adv features are things I would end up adding to the standard anyway. The full crash bars, the cylinder guards, the bag mounts, the adv windshield with extra support and wind wings, the Adv Bags. And while I really do not NEED a 9 gallon tank the bigger tank also helps with wind blockage. Have had my 2012 GSA since September 29th and LOVE IT! Glad I made the move .... and I did miss my '02 GS for about 2 months. Now I am very happy with my decision. Hope this helps. Oh .. and buying in September I got a killer deal on my 2012. :clap
  12. swimmonkey

swimmonkey JMS

Oddometer:
    Two 1200gs'
    F800gs
    and now -
    1200GSA

All bikes have their strengths and weaknesses. I have a KTM525. It's like a vintage sports car. Fun but a ton of maintenance. Bought the F800gs used, put 32K miles on it in two and a half years and sold it for $1K less than I bought it for. Test rode a new '12 KTM 990 Adv. but, it didn't really do much for me. I bought a used '11 GSA.
    I have ridden my new to me '11 GSA 600 miles and will say that it is a great tarmac bike. I will ride it on some dirt roads this coming weekend. It is a beast but I can say that if it is decent on the dirt, I will be a happy boy!

BTW, when I go out to the garage to get a beer out of the fridge and look at the GSA, it really stirs my soul. :freaky
  13. speedthrills

speedthrills Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 09 GS with nearly all GSA farkles. I like the GS better for only the height and wt. I'm short. My bike is way scuffed up from dropping it where I shouldn't be. I could use the extra gas and lower gear. I got mine for $4k less than a GSA. Rent one of each and get which one you like and can afford. If you're like me they are not the same :rofl:rofl
  14. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    I hate to say this, but.... Unless you've always wanted a GSA, you're probably going to want something else.

If you're using words referring to performance or weight, you'll be disappointed in the GSA. Get the GS, or a KTM or something else 'sporty' if that's an important quality to you, because the GSA is not.

Don't get me wrong. The GSA is quick, and quite nimble for what it is, but you'll never be able to throw it around offroad trails or urban streets like the lighter bikes. I would say that the people who buy GSA (and love it) have always wanted the GSA, they don't care about the weight, the height, the cost, or anything else. They had to have the GSA and nothing else would do. That said, a person would be delusional to say that the GSA is the best bike ever for normal everyday use.

Like many bikes, it has a specific niche in the riding world. I would say it's for two-up (or cargo laden) long range touring, where one might encounter a poor road occasionally, and where fuel is sparse (and the rider is too lazy to deal with fuel bottles).
  15. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Again just my personal opinion and most things motorcycles are very personal and one size never fits all but .....YES the GSA is a tall bike and that was important to me. I would be buying an aftermarket seat for the standard GS just as I did for my 2002 so the comfort of the GSA was important for me. As far as weight goes it is all relative ... compared to my 2002 standard GS the 2012 GSA is no heavier and feels and handles much lighter. Also, handles better than my R1200RT. And again for ME ... the COST of the GSA was only $2000 or less than standard GS (I did get a great deal) but like I stated the big factor was I'd probably have added a lot of the GSA features to the standard GS. For certain I would have added the ADV shield and set-up along with the Winglets, the crash bars and cylinder guards ..... those alone are probably $1000 or close to it. IMHO the GS or GSA are great do it all bikes. They handle great, can be easily loaded up, are comfortable for long days on twisty roads or highway. When I bought my '02 I did not think I wanted or needed the GSA. I loved the GS and it served me well. I did add adventure bags and mounts, taller shield and seat. When I was shopping for a replacement for ME and again being tall the GSA was hard to beat. But it IS a tall bike and if I were much shorter in the inseam (34") then I'd probably opt for the standard and begin the farlking. If you compare the GSA or GS for that matter to lighter more off road bikes then you are correct the GSA is a big pig but it is truly all relative to what you are comparing.
  16. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    I really don't see what all this back and forth is about. Sort of like side loading vs top loading panniers. Both are good choices; it comes down to what works better for you and your style of riding.
  17. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well said! It is all about personal preference and what fits you.
  18. srpuywa

srpuywa Big 'G'

Oddometer:
    If I wanted a lighter ride - I'd go on a serious diet too :rofl
  19. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    I'll add another .02

The big tanks on the GSA are desinged to be a full fairing. Look at them....Look at them more closely. There was much thought that went into air managment on that bike.

The GSA is worlds better as a touring machine than the standard. I personally find the big pig super ugly, but it works. I'm much rather look at my 1150 Adventure, but the 1200 Adventure is a rider.
  20. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    I found that the 08 GSA I had was very, very close to the 05 RT I had in rider protection. That being said, it accomplished that in a blunt, crude way and at highway speeds the price paid was in poorer gas mileage and acceleration. The RT would easily smoke the GSA because it had much better aerodynamics.