Tierra Del Fuego or bust DR650 & KLR650

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by enduroranger175, Aug 14, 2012.

1. enduroranger175

enduroranger175 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My little brother and I are getting ready to head south from our home in Chicago. I know many of you have taken this trip and would love feedback and advice.
    HTML:
    http://cooperstour.blogspot.com/
    This is a blog we are going to keep updated on our journey.
  2. enduroranger175

Oddometer:
    This is one topic I am very curious about. Is there anyone here that rode it?
  3. charliemike

charliemike wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nope.... its practically impossible to 'ride' it....

Not to mention the other possible dangers....
  4. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    + 1!

Ed Culberson (Obsessions Die Hard) rode the Darien Gap successfully, and a couple made it with a Rokon (http://www.outbackofbeyond.com/gap.htm).

Basically, the Darien trail's in the "Too Hard" category for typical riders, seems like . . .
  5. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I hope you have made arrangement to get cross the Darien's Gap? If not, you have three options: 1) Find a private sailboat to carry you and your buddy over to Colombia 2) Ship your bike via air cargo and fly from Panama City to Bogota or 3) New Ferry from Panama to Colombia for around $300USD I think?? But you may need to book ferry as advance as possible because to my understanding it is booked for few weeks?

I can find ferry info for you if you like..
  6. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    No "new ferry." Not now or the foreseeable future.
  7. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Well, that is all I know but of course it is not confirmed!! Might want to check around when in Panama before making decision on method of traveling over Darien's Gap to Colombia. HU forum are saying that Colombia and Panama are forbidding sail boats from carrying motorcycle and their coast guards are checking?? I dunno!!

One of member at HU got a reply from ferry official and here it is translated to english from spanish:

"Good afternoon sir Kevin, attached basic information from the ferry, at the moment I can not confirm an exact date
    Output, but I can put on a waiting list and call you when we have accurate information.
    The cost of the motorcycle is B/170.00 return.
    The double occupancy cabin out by B / 788.00 round trip.

The ferry leaves the port of Colon 2000 on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Port of Cartagena de Indias out on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. The outputs of both cities are at 18:00 hrs. and arrival at the next port at 06:00 hrs.
    We have three types of occupations, which are: chairs, dorm and private cabins. Prices range from B/99.00 + tax. B/.95.00. The tax is the same in all prices occupancy ferry. Tickets are round trip, do not sell one-way. Reservations are made from the telephone 3800900. Reservations and prices are valid for 48 hours. Meals and drinks are not included in the price but you can purchase food services from your reservation for a total additional $ 40 entitles you to dinner and buffet breakfast on both tracks.
    Children under 2 years pay only taxes and over 2 pay regular rate.
    Required Documents:
    Panama: Passport valid for a period of at least 6 months.
    Foreign resident: Valid passport and immigration status (resident card) under the rules of migration.
    Foreign Tourists: Valid passport and immigration status under the immigration rules (solvency again when entering the country and plane ticket back to Colombia)
    Luggage: Two bags per person. Max.50 pounds each. If you exceed 50 pounds per bag or you will be charged an extra $ 35 that must be paid at the port.
    For all other inquiries please contact"

Virtual Ferry Tour
  8. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Well I wouldn't use the word impossible! it's been done, in a corvair in 1961 :D

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lrhH1U_NAcM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

How young are you and how big are you cahones? :lurk
  9. charliemike

charliemike wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:

I did say PRACTICALLY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DariƩn_Gap

I don't consider it a question of age.. given the time and some resources id probably be dumb enough to try something like that....I'm sure it would be fun... and who know's with the satellite maps that are available these days you might actually be able to find an easier route.
  10. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:
    You have the right bikes for the trip. Have owned both, and either are great south of the border machines.

Tuned in....
  11. enduroranger175

Oddometer:
    We are still not sure how we are crossing the gap. We have friends near by in Panama and figure we can crash until we figure out the most logical route. I just turned 3o and little bro is 25. I was in first Ranger Batt and then fought mma and won the the army title in 07. My Cohones are a decent size but, if there is a way to keep little brother and I out of harms way... My parents would sure appreciate me taking that way.
  12. enduroranger175

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sam that video was awesome! lol. 180 some bridges... bring a chain saw lol.
  13. nickel512

nickel512 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When are you guys leaving Chicago?
  14. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, there you go !

Now to rig a Corvair to carry two bikes.
  15. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted on how you cross the gap.. Thanks!
  16. enduroranger175

Oddometer:
    Waiting in Lapaz for some repairs.
  17. enduroranger175

Oddometer:
    My little brothers KLR seems to be done for. So now we are faced with a lot of options... Not sure what course to take.
  18. enduroranger175

Oddometer:
  19. enduroranger175

Oddometer:
    i have been doing a horrible job of keeping this site updated, the klr has been up and running for many miles now, we are looking to cross into panama in the next few days. we will do a good job of posting info on the gap and how we decide to go.
  20. Rensen

Rensen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice! @ follow