Mexico Vehicle Export w/o Readable VIN Tag?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Hipster, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Planning on going to Mexico in March and on returning to the US how closely will the Mexican officials look at the bikes VIN number tag? The bikes metal VIN number tag is partially cracked, and I can't read all the numbers w/o having the title in hand to verify every number. Will this be a problem?

The bike is a 2007 KTM 640 and I don't know if the local dealer/ KTM North America can issue me a replacement VIN number tag.
  2. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its getting harder and harder to break the rules in Mexico...as I've broken them all. I've temporarily imported three bikes in the last five years and the border officials have become very anal about reading the VIN number on the way out. If they don't believe this is the same bike, all they will do is not cancel the exit and you will forfeit your deposit...about $400. You can still leave the country as they will not throw you in Jail. Besides losing your money...the only other consequence is you will not be able to import another vehicle on the same passport number. This can be solved by getting a new passport as the paperwork follows your passport number and not your name or VIN number.

I don't think you can get a new VIN number on your bike. Good Luck!

Johnnydarock
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a plate made with the VIN made locally, and affix it in place over the old spot with adhesive.

That was simple.

No charge, but I'll have a Negra Modelo por favor.
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Some ID's are stamped and some are printed.
    There's some leeway and hence opportunity.

IMO, if the title numbers kinda resemble what is shown on the beat-up tag, you should be OK.
    If you're turned down, try a different bridge or crossing, or a different shift of staff.

IIRC, the deposits, when I last crossed, were $600, $400, and $200...but that's a different subject, eh?
  5. mikerd400

mikerd400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never had anyone in Mexico look at my VIN numbers, on my bike or my prerunner. I only had to show my vehicle import permit for my bike when I took the ferry out of La Paz.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never had anyone actually look at the bike itself-only the papers,i.e.,registration,etc.. They are inside in the AC and the bike is obviously outside.
  7. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    They not only look at the bike VIN now but also take picture of it. I'd make its readable if it were me.
  8. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last time I crossed at Reynosa, they took about five pics in order to get one they could read. It took a few minutes cause the VIN tag on my 650 is hard to get a good shot of with a camera.
  9. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    True for my last experience.

Being 'worn' is readily understandable.
    Make one that's clear enough, but not looking brand new.
    Fine oil mist with some dust, and maybe a cable wear area...dunno. Depends on the bike.
    An interesting project, anyway.
  10. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    Last April out of Mexico at Nogales, pictures were also taken. What about stopping at aduana on the way in and get your bike id ok'd?
  11. BoulderGuy

BoulderGuy out ridin'....

Oddometer:
    They definately check it. Do yourself a favor and make up a reasonably official looking decal and put it somewhere easy to read. On my 950 KTM the VIN is a decal and in a tough to read spot which has caused some headaches turning in the TVIP. Next trip I 'm making up a new VIN decal and putting it somewhere you can actually read it!
  12. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the problem on a F650 GS. Its very hard to get a picture of it.
  13. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are the VIN numbers not stamped clearly on the frame somewhere?
    If so, get a metal worker to restamp them.
    A new looking tag may look suspicious.
  14. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since they may take photos of the VIN tag I'm going to leave the stock VIN tag as is, and on the other side of the steering head tube apply my own easier to read "factory looking" tag.
  15. ghostrider.y2k

ghostrider.y2k ride enything but HD

Oddometer:
    Contact state police for replacement, you will get the bike inspected and new vin tag issued,in Illinois officer will remove and destroy the old plate and attach the new plate to the frame. Make sure that all your paperwork is in order. That how vin is replaced on stolen and recovered vehicles and some rebuild cars.
    I had one replaces on one of the cars where vin was attached to dashboard on stolen/recovered vehicle.
    Contact some car re builders, they can point you in right direction.Fee may apply but is less problems later.

y2k