New Burgman owner with a question

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by street rider, May 23, 2013.

1. street rider

street rider Grow old not up

Oddometer:
    OK my wife added to our garage and purchased a Burgman 400. I must say I do like it. She had already rode it on Deal Gap, I was on my little GS and could not keep up with her.
    Does any one make frame sliders or some type of body protection for Burgmans? She is an agressive rider but her Ultra has engine and bag guards, cheep insurance.
  2. BigTexasOne

BigTexasOne Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    1 acre of heaven, Springtown, TX. NW of Ft. Worth
  3. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    I would say that you would have better luck on Burgman USA.
  4. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Never mind
  5. Scott_F

Scott_F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The few aftermarket options are expensive and butt-ugly. If she wipes out at speed, no tiddly aluminum exoskeleton will help. For low-speed laydowns, get some 1/2-round 1/2" automotive trim tape. It comes in rolls and is has paper-backed adhesive on the flat side. Lay it along the outside edge of the tupperware, starting from the upper front cowl, then down and along the outside of the footboards, front and back. That will protect the tupperware against most scrapes and dings from laying it down. It also looks much better than the weirdo cages that are out there.

If it goes down on gravel, worst case scenario, you may have to replace the lenses on the signal lights (we have 650s with retractable mirrors) and/or the overpriced shiny plastic part that shields the muffler. Apart from that,, the trim tape will take most of the scratches and dings that would otherwise go into the edge of the tupperware, which is what gets damaged.

Basically, you're using an easily replaceable $8 roll of tape in place of this $155 tube:

[​IMG]

HTH
    Scott Fraser
  6. street rider

Oddometer:
    Tupperware, good call. I searched thinking I could find some thing that would protect the body yet was not butt ugly. Like I said just looking for cheep insurance.
    Thanks for the info.
  7. DLdeano

DLdeano Ridin' all I can

Oddometer:
    Posted for the OP...Here's the 400 Burg with my mom as pilot on the dragon. This lady is a grandmother a few times over but still ain't afraid to twist the wrist!!

This Burgman is a lot more fun than you'd expect-

[​IMG]
  8. street rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting the photo up Dean. Now you see why I was looking for side protection. I have already replaced the floor boards on her Ultra.