Supertrapp IDS2 on '03 KTM Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Jan 30, 2004.

1. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    To those that are interested, I recently installed a Supertrapp IDS2 “quiet core” muffler on my ’03 Adventure.

Part number 611-96002 is, according to Supertrapp, actually intended for pre ’99 LC4, but by drilling a new hole approximately 7/16” above the existing hole on the “S” pipe mount, (that, or find a longer rubber mounting bracket) you can easily install it on a later bike with the stock turn signals. If no turn signals are present, no additional hole is necessary.

I currently have 8 discs installed. Jetting with the OEM BST40 carb has been changed from the stock 152.5 MJ to a 157.5 MJ in warm weather and 160 MJ in cold. The needle clip was moved down 1 from the 3rd to the 4th notch from the top. I drilled the vacuum piston ports out to .125” (1/8”).
    I made a airbox side cover from 1.5MM carbon fiber plate with a port size of approximately 4 sq. inches. The bike runs quite well, sounds better than stock, but is not so loud as to attract unwanted attention on the street. Acceleration and throttle response are improved, both over stock, and with the IDS2 alone with no jetting or air box changes. Vibration is minimal and possibly slightly less than the stock bike. All impressions are based on riding at sea level to 1,000 above.
    I have felt no reason to alter the low speed air or fuel jets, or the low speed fuel mix screw at this time.

For those having trouble finding main jets, they are the same as those used on the 42 HSR Mikuni sold as a performance carb for Harley-Davidsons. In other words, almost any Harley dealer or custom shop should have some.

At this point I feel that I can recommend the IDS2 for installation on a '03 640 Adventure. I will continue to make modifications and report any results.

Last note, that stainless is hard as hell, so drill slow, push hard and use drilling lubricant.

Regards,
    Chris

Attached Files:

• ids2.jpg
      ids2.jpg
      File size:
      33.8 KB
      Views:
  2. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Back side image.

Attached Files:

3. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like Supertrapps. One for my KLX just came today to replace the old, rusty, nasty sounding Arrow that was on the bike.

Best feature is spark arrestor... Being able to tune the pipe is nice too! I paid $240; how much for yours?

:dj
    R-dubb
  4. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I'm a dealer... so lets just say, less than what you paid. But not by much, $240 is a very good price if what you got is an actual IDS2 with a "quiet core".

Creeper
  5. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Here is a view of the front muffler/connector pipe hanger.

Attached Files:

6. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    And a view of the carbon fiber air box cover. I am in the process of making yet another air box cover using 5 UNI filter pop-in air filter vents.

Attached Files:

7. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    All right, is this a new bike? or do you have underlings cleaning it? since its so frigin' wet , OK I am jealous of how clean it is. Thanks for the post, join in for the search for the mex/canada trail, we may need Washington help, I am going to work on some N. cascade ( in spring ). BTW on an LC4, or transalp, or quota
  8. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I'm one of those sick individuals that takes as much pleasure in wrenching and cleaning as I do riding. Sorry, I don't mean to set a bad example.:evil

Creeper
  9. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    you're setting a good example, but be prepared for the ribbing. i strip mine all the time to clean it... its all good!
  10. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I can see things falling of better when they are clean, like me for example.

Now if we could just get Scotty to hustle it up with that low mount fender... I'd have a new thing to buy and polish!

Creeper
  11. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Good grief...not another clean-bike poster...

That's it...I'm only posting pictures of my bike dirty form now on...this clean bike business is just getting too trendy for me...

:evil :freaky
  12. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:

flanny likes dirty girls. i like mine to look clean til you get them home :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I start out with a simple install info for a IDS2 and look what happens... dirty girls and clean bike abuse.
    The horror of it all.

Flanny, if your bike gets all dirty, will Loadedagain lust after it and want to take candid photos of it in a short skirt?

Creeper
  14. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    ahh, BC , true paradise....
  15. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    They always kick me out when I break out the camera.
  16. Ziegfried

Ziegfried Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that Supertrapp is a nice looking unit...remember how I said that I only wanted footpegs and handlebar risers?...well add "Supertrapp" to the list. If I can get it here for a reasonable price, then I`ll need your jetting instructions Creeper.

CRAP, I hate it when I see things like this and my self control starts to seep away like a kids ice cream in the sun...
  17. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    You may want to check if this company will ship to Australia. http://www.gopartsdirect.com/dirt/i...ry=98&MFG=SUPERTRAPP&SubCat=KTM&Placeholder=0
    They have an excellent price on the IDS2. Also, your home company, Staintune builds a nice product.

Creeper
  18. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Creeper, which dealership do you have? I've probably been to your shop. I've bought my last 3 bikes from Jason Dahners and I'm already working on getting his 450 EXC for this summer, but he's not willing to give it up yet.
  19. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I don't work for a dealership dirtrider.

Creeper
  20. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Sorry dirt, I didn't mean to be so "blunt and run". I am in a transition period right now. I currently run a small retail accessory shop in King county but I will be returning to full time technical teaching in a month or so.

Creeper