My ride report doing a 1000 in 24 /And life on the farm.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by LadyDraco, Dec 17, 2008.

1. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    My solo adventure running an SS1000….
    I had originally planed on taking my run in the middle of April, but a good friend of ours had a really bad motorcycle accident… a few days before my departure..
    Well being a woman, I elected to wait. I decided on the last Thursday in May...2007
    Talked it over with my husband… And he said go for it… I did ask him if he would like to run it with me… He declined as a friend was going to stay with us for a few days…
    And well someone had to be at the farm to greet him…..
    I packed a small gas can in the trunk… The night before … Don (Hubby) didn’t want me to be on the road over night, so a 1000 out and back wasn’t going to sit good with him…I looked the route over.. So I thought I would do a turn around … He agreed that was OK with him…. We had done so many high mileage days together, so long hours in the saddle wasn’t a problem for me…Plus I had done many runs to visit my folks alone 500 miles away... So the solitude wasn’t a problem…Just me my bike & the road… Yeah!!!
    I just wanted to do it myself…. I did have a time frame I wanted to shoot for, other then the 1000 in 24 …. I was looking for 1000 in 15 …..
    Needless to say I didn’t sleep well the night before… Kind of like the night before Christmas as a kid….Ok so I never grew up…
    But that’s always normal for me..
    I was up real early... But it was so foggy that morning I was forced to leave a little later then I wanted…. Oh well best laid plans… But it wasn’t that bad just made the other end a little later….. No biggy....
    So from where we live, it was 14+ miles from my first fuel stop over the mountain and the first dated receipt…. Now it’s was getting close to 6:15… I told my honey I’ll call ya in a few hours … First gas stop was at 6:33 am…… I was off n running!!!!
    The day turned out to be just great …. Lots of sun but not to hot out…. The next few stops went nice n smooth….
    All is well then I see way up ahead.. STOPPED traffic!!! Oh crap!!!! Yuppers, was stopped for about 25 mins. A nasty truck accident …. The driver was killed… Hmmm... Maybe it was a good thing I left later then I wanted after all... My mind raced I could have been in the middle of a real bad wreck!!
    Well back on the road….. Bike was running great…. For one that has 100k+ on it….
    I was really enjoying this run till………. A white pick up truck threw a cup out of the window.. Ok no big deal…. But then they started throwing more trash out the window!!
    Now it was becoming a little worrisome to me… As I felt they where trying to hurt me… In traffic! I used my CB and started talking to the truckers that where around me… They saw what was going on and wanted to help… Cool I thought…. Well they boxed the white truck in and I twisted the throttle and nailed it and was out of harms way in a flash….Dang I love the power of my bike… It was a good size hill that we all were pulling…. But a Valkyrie has a 1520 cc engine with 6 carburetors… And it ran that hill with out worries weaving thru traffic…
    Sometimes it’s nice being a female… As I don’t think the truckers would have helped that fast if I was a guy…
    All was good once again…. Made my turn around point in Jackson TN...The time was 1:35 ct …Was right on time too!!! Yeah!!! Called my Hubby to let him know I was on my way home…And doing great…
    All was going well till I was in Nashville again… Another bad accident!! This time I sat for 54 minutes on the IS with the bike off… UGH…. I thought that this is going to hurt my time…
    But I did hope no one got hurt in this long shut down.….. I did get to talk to this rider for a bit….
    [​IMG]
    I took this photo right before we had come to a full stop…..
    The rest of the afternoon and evening went great… Traffic was moving along well…
    Talked to a few truckers on the CB, and one was empty and said get right be hind me and I’ll plow the road for you …. And man oh man did he …. Ok I know your not really suppose to draft but hey, he knew I was back there…And we hit triple digits YeeHaw !!!
    Now that was fun while it lasted….. Then the hills started once again and I said my see yaws … I pulled out of the line and passed all the trucks…. My stops where still fast..
    I would call Don as I was heading to a rest room.. Multi tasking …LOL…
    I pulled into my last stop... Topped off the tank got my receipt.. Call my Honey and told him I was heading over the mountain….
    My total time was 16h 50 min for 1026 miles…So with the 2 traffic accidents … I missed my personal time… Oh well…. But all in all it isn’t a bad time…To turn in..

I still have all my paper work… Funny I never turned it in… Why … I don’t know..
    I guess cause I did it for ME…

I did get this cool shot .. So I did have fun doing my run..But hey .. As long as I'm on my Beast I'm always having FUN !! I love my Valks !!!!
    [​IMG]

Tracy
  2. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing.. SS1000 is on my short list to do.. well, turn in paperwork I should say..

greg
  3. Deadly

Deadly Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer:
    I remember my SS1000 very well, it was my first long distance ride and the farthest I had ever been from home. For me it was quite an adventure and it gives one a lot of time to think while on the road, it was a ride that I will never forget.
  4. BlueBuell

BlueBuell Banned

Oddometer:
    :eek1 Wow, great ride report! Thanks!:clap
    LewisNClark likes this.
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    That's some ride! I have saddle sore reading about! :lol3 Congrats on your achievement and thanks for posting :thumb
  6. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    Thanks all .... :thumb
    Bikes are our life.. They are used for just about every thing...
    They are a primary mode of transport..
    Heck we both just love to ride near or far....

Thanks for taking the time to read it..:deal
  7. japslap

japslap Japslap

Oddometer:
    Cool
  8. Steve Glenn

Steve Glenn Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    great RR, nice tryke.
  9. semperfi

semperfi Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Oddometer:
    I did two SS1000's last year and still have the paperwork......doing it for yourself is the only reason to do it. Congrats!
  10. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    Cool. :thumb
  11. Perry B

Perry B Perry B

Oddometer:
    A fun read! Way to go!
    THANKS!
  12. sachiwilson

sachiwilson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah, 1000 miles in 18 hours isn't a big deal to the IBA. It's an average of only 55.5 mph. After all, a Bun Burner Gold (1500 in 24) would be an average speed of 62.4 mph.

Now, get your time down around 10 hours and people might begin to get concerned!
  13. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    Hey your not being a party pooper...
    All I did was stay steady... Yeah maybe a few times I would crank it up..
    But that's my normal riding style.. Pick a rabbit and run... :evil
    This year Highbinder and I ran a few 920-1000 's in a day...
    It's how we will run the slabs.. So we can enjoy our time where we ran to...
    Maybe this winter I post a few more rides.... :ricky

The next stormy days.... :nod

Tracy
    FJ Fun likes this.
  14. M

M Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your SS1000! I tend to have trouble sleeping the night before any big ride. My mind is usually going full-speed thinking about the impending ride and repeatedly going over check-lists.

First and foremost, the IBA holds safety as the main concern for any rider. Excessive speed and/or reckless driving can get a certificate denied, or even revoked at a later time.

To accomplish a SS1000, the minimum required is to ride at least 1,000 miles in twenty-four hours. That breaks down to a minimum of 41.7 mph moving average for a 24 hour period. A rider could take rural roads with a 55mph speed limit and still have a 10+ minute stop every hour.

West of the Mississippi, the speed limits tend to be much higher. 65-70 mph is common, with a few states having 75mph (and I-10/I-20 in West TX at 80mph daytime).

With interstate speeds of 65-75mph, it is not difficult to do SS1000 in 17-19 hours, while never exceeding the posted speed limit. The key is time management whenever one makes a pit stop.

My 1,000 mile rides tend to take about 18 hours. I tend to stop every 200 miles or so, and minimize my time stopped. Why do I do it? I love to ride and see the US from the seat of my cycle(s). :ricky
  15. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    Thanks...... It's so funny how most of us don't sleep well the night before a big trip .. Or even a weekend ride ..... :ricky
  16. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    Last Nov..My mate and I did a 907 miles in 16+ hours... Not bad for using the same gas pump... :clap We ran down to LA... For a Romp in the Swamp ride ... That was my first time in MS & LA.... I just realized I never did a ride report on it :lol3 .......

The funny thing is we really wasn't running hard.... Just steady...:ricky
    You know what it's like,Your heading home and the so called Fangs come out and you just keep on keeping on.... You look at each other , you both still feel good .... So ya just stay at it.. And before you know it~you're home :lol3

I still have a ride report to do on our trip we just did down to TX....
    My first time in Galveston area... WOW what them folks went through with Ike !!
    I have never seen any thing like that total annihilation /devastation...
    Crystal Beach area WOW so sad..... But they are rebuilding...

I'll get some reports up real soon....
    I promise :wave

Tracy
  17. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    Things fell in to place for us on the farm to make the run to the Ferry a few weekends ago… So we could meet up with a few Inmates from ADV. As we all wanted to catch a ride on the last of the ferries that still use a poll to get across a river...” The James River” to be exact... We all were to meet on the North side of the ferry 11 am Saturday morning….
    We left the farm a little after 5pm Friday evening the sky was a little cloudy but was clearing so we thought... LOL boy was that a mistake… We hit the Big Walker tunnel and on the other side it was a down pour!!… But we still thought we could run out of it… It did get to the point that we could no longer see... So we pulled off at a truck stop in Wytheville … Grabbed a snack & coffee … Then the rain let up we darned gear and when back out …
    No sooner we started rolling good on the slab, dang it started getting heavy once again… Made another stop for more gear change, my part this time….
    Finally the rain quit!!! Stopped for gear change so we could dry out ….
    The skies cleared we’re rolling nice once again …. We stop for fuel in outside of Buchanan, it dawns on us we both forgot propane for the light…
    Now this area has nothing …. All the stores were closing as it was getting late all that was open had NO propane… We stop at a Family Dollar to see if they have any, and nope out as well…
    But the customer that I held the door open for said he only lived 3 miles up the road and he thought he had a few bottles at the house…..
    I run back to Don and tell him what the man told me... Now of course riding down these dark roads following a total stranger can make your mind wonder… Hmmm could this guy be some kind of an axe murderer???
    So we follow the local to his house that was a little farther then 3 miles …. But what the heck if we can have our light we can set the tent up in the dark and cook a little easier… We say our greetings to his family as he looks in the shed … He gives us the bottle!! How cool and nice was that…
    He did have zombie cats !!!!
    [​IMG]
    Wished us a nice camping trip and a safe ride up the mountain on RT 43 …. We have ridden 43 a good deal before so we knew how much fun it was going to be in the dark!!! It’s kind of like a mini Dragon!
    What a blast at night!! Plus it drops us on The Blue Ridge Parkway about 10 miles from Peaks of Otter That was where we would stop and make camp for the night…
    [​IMG]
    By now it’s 10 pm... We put up the tent... Don heads to so call check us in, I start to gather wood for a fire so we can have supper... I get a fire started before Don Returns... Had a great meal … Steak for Don I have little patty pan sq. and carrots, salad, we both have a side of noodles... Coffee and had a toast with some of the finest home made whiskey thanks Mark!! :thumbup:
    [​IMG]
    We get up make a fire have coffee & oatmeal, break camp load the bikes and we are off …
    [​IMG]
    Readying to roll ....
    [​IMG]
    We ride the BRP for a while ~ Ah early morning on the Parkway is a grand time.. One just has to watch out for all the wild life...
    [​IMG]

Then we hit rt 60 . Another cool road that we have been on a few times..
    [​IMG]
    Get on US 29 for a while the hit rt 6 that will take us to Scottsville …..
    [​IMG]
    We fuel up in town, hop on the Ferry road …
    [​IMG]
    We show up at the north side.. HBurgNinja /FoxedupOne & his GF are there on The Maxi Scooters … And come to find out the Ferry is NOT running!! The river is now to low!! WTF !!!!… For almost a month the river was to high….
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More Inmates show up we are now 11 strong and disappointed that it was a dead end with no service to get across the river…
    Some of the folks it was there 4th /5th/7th time to get on the Ferry…. Before it’s closed down in Oct. For ever…. The ferry has been running since 1870 ..
    [​IMG]

We all did get a real once in a life time view...
    A Black Snake climbed a tree for all of US to see... I took a bunch of video..
    Very cool...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The group went on for some Que, Don and I headed back for home…..
    We took a few back roads out get back on 6 to US 29 this time we take 130 to the BRP…
    A road that we have never been on… It’s NO rt 60…… We rode the Parkway in and out of showers the rest of the afternoon Just missing the big rain events.. The parkway was empty of vehicles only saw a few motos out and a few Urals W/hacks as the Ural ride in was going on at WillVille …. We did see a Doe and her twin Fawns... They walked right in front of me ..... I hear Don on the CB.. Where are you?? I replied I had to come to a full stop for a Momma and her twins
    Plus two of the biggest racks on two Bucks that we ever saw in a whitetail.. They must have been at least 12 pts.+ And in full velvet !! Yes they crossed in between Don and I :22yikes:.... I was ready for them as well :thumbup: .. It was just that kinda of a weekend....
    We hop off the Parkway at Rt 58

[​IMG]
    Decided to ride the slab home .. And hit bumper to bumper traffic for 4 miles !!! From I-77 to I-81 then back on I-77 get off on rt 52 and hit our favorite Grape Field Rd.. We had a great run on it… It was a great weekend....
    Here's a link to the rest of the photos....Enjoy
    Hatton Ferry Run .. Failed !!
    leroua likes this.
  18. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    As some of you might know we hang with a few other moto groups..
    And Big Bike Riders is another group that we hang with...
    We had a room booked at Smoky Falls Lodge in Maggie Valley, NC...
    But the boy that watches our place called and said he now couldn't watch the farm for the week.Crap!!!
    So we could NOT stay from Thursday –Sunday in Maggie Valley…
    I called and had to cancel our room..
    Friday morning I said to Don why don’t we leave here in the evening and camp some where
    And meet up with the BBR.. (Big Bike Riders) So that is just what we did…
    Got all the chores done loaded the bikes with camping gear and we lit out 6:30 pm.
    BTW... BMWMOA was in town BMW'S all over the place ....
    We got to this side of Asheville… Found a campground which is not easy in the dark.. LOL…
    We went on 2 wild goose chases that gave US no campground…
    And couldn't find any places to pitch a tent with out getting in to big trouble..:augie

[​IMG]

As we keep snaking around on this dirt road that is to lead us a campground…
    They had little signs ~~Keep going~ You’re almost there~ A few more turns~ You have arrived!!
    They kind of reminded me of the Burma shave. Signs…. LOL…
    We found us a site and made camp…. Pitched the tent…

[​IMG]

Don gathered some fire wood I set up the tent….

[​IMG]

We got a fire going.. Put supper up …
    Don had a nice steak I had Veggies… Put the coffee up….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dang that was a good meal......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hey look who came to visit us for Supper !!!

[​IMG]

Ah life is good…. By now it’s really getting late..
    We sat and had a few cups of coffee..

[​IMG]

Put the Dragons to bed...

[​IMG]

Don checks the bikes one more time... The smoke made the photo a little Spooky

[​IMG]

Then we got ready for bed… No matter where I am, I always wash up and brush meh teeth....

[​IMG]

It was a nice cool evening.. Kind of cool for JULY!!!

[​IMG]

Don built a fire for the morning…

[​IMG]

Did the morning routine, and we got ready for a day of ..

[​IMG]

The winding dirt road leaving the campground

[​IMG]

At Big Bike Riders Gathering… Well we thought we would get there around noon-ish… LOL Ya right we rolled in around 8:30 am…..
    A few folks were stirring early…

[​IMG]

We grabbed a bite to eat with a few BBR…

[​IMG]

Then we took a ride with Tim & Sherry.. On the BRP…

[​IMG]

Missed seeing our other buddies Smokin’Joe and his group.. As just hanging around till noon . Was just not going to work out.. We get a little antsy

Then we parted ways after dinner… We headed back to the farm Tim & Sherry headed back to Maggie Valley.
    We even saw a Indigo Bunting ..

[​IMG]

We had a very nice over night trip...
    Here's a link to a few more photos....
    MaggieValley Run to see BBR

More Adventures of Highbinder & LadyDraco to come....
  19. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    cool. met ya'll at parrotsville, (u loaned me a dollar one morning) turn your paperwork in ya get a prefectly good useless peice of paper, that you'll walk by and smile at every now and then.:D
  20. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    Hey I remember you !!!
    LOL...I have a few other useless Doc..Laying around that did that...:deal :lol3