New Lynx Fairing for the KTM 690 from Britannia Composites

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Ian B, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Ian B

Ian B Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer:
    Yes, although we will leave the decals off and include them in the kit, so that guys can choose whether they want them or not. Opinions from guys who have seen it in the flesh are split 50/50 between leaving it clear or having the decals

Ian
  2. Ian B

Oddometer:
    Thanks ! The bike is so good, it deserves to have it's own unique Lynx !!

Ian
  3. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    Ian, what does the inside look like? Room to mount anything?

Great design, looking forward to picking one up.
  4. Ian B

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Here's a pic of the rider view. Lots of room for GPS etc.

Attached Files:

• 019.JPG
      019.JPG
      File size:
      138.4 KB
      Views:
  5. GiMoto Canada

GiMoto Canada KTM Submarine Capt.

Oddometer:
    I have been looking for a lighting solution for months and considered adding a LED setup due to power consumption. The concern is always power output as I have heated grips and a Zumo 550 that seem to be on constantly.

If you install HID on both the high & low beam is there any more power consumption than the stock system?

Where are you located in Canada?
  6. Ian B

Oddometer:
    The Heated grips and the GPS wouldn't make much difference with the Lynx standard lighting. However, if you've got heated grips, then it's also likely that you may want to run a heated vest and that would probably be too much.

The safe bet is to go with an HID low beam. The HID high is obviously better again, but the overall electric power gain isn't as great, becaus high is generally not used as much (particularly with the low beam being so effective on it's own).

HID low combined with hte Halogen high is our most popular combo on the Lynx.

WE are based in the lower mainland in BC.

Cheers Ian
  7. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Ian - sorry for all the questions but I have a few more:

So with an HID low and Halogen high both lights are on for High and just the HID for Low? Or is there a "double filament" Halogen than has both a low and high position? I'm assuming you don't want HID for high as you can't quickly turn it on and off for oncoming traffic?

My bike has been running a 130 watt H4 Halogen for over a year with no electrical problems. I'm thinking of getting your fairing with a 50 watt HID low and something like a 80 watt Halogen high? Is that combo possible? I know it sounds like lots of light but light is huge to me. I ride a lot at night in 3rd world countries where the roads are black as black with no painted lines on the edges let alone the cool "reflective painted lines' most first world countries take for granted. I've seen elephants, massive pythons, water buffalo crossing the road in the middle of the night and we commonly have semi trucks on the freeway going 10 kph with no tail lights or reflectors while sports cars are doing 160 k/hr at the same time.

How tough is your fairing? For instance I've done 900 KM of washboard in 1 day, 5,000 KM in a week once. Lot's of things (actually most things) break/come apart etc. How do you think the Lynx would do?

Finally, what do guys normally do with GPS's etc? Bolt them straight to the dash?

Thanks!

Rick
  8. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ian I have say that dash looks great!! It looks like the Speedo is relocated. It sure looks a lot better in that position.:clap I'm also curious how the GPS bolts on. I currently have a Zumo with a Touratech mount which is bolted to Ranzaco's Map holder. Is there mount for your fairing where I can still use the Touratech mount?

Ricky I don't know how you do it at night, especially with the 690.:huh I too ride at night all time and it's rough for me even with all the painted stuff we have here in the states. In fact at this point at night I just ride the 990, because the 690's headlight is so bad that I think a flashlight would do better.:lol3
  9. Ian B

Oddometer:
    Hearing about a typical day in your life is making me feel very envious !

Anyway, the fairings are extremely tough and (to my knowledge), one has never broken in the three years the Lynx has been out. However, there have been a few instances where the actual screen has broken in a 'get off', and for you high usage, I would recomend having a spare one around.

The lighting configuration is as you describe. The lights have separate functions, with the low beam remaining on and the other high beam lamp coming on when switched. You are correct about the slight delay when using the HID to 'flash', but my view of the HID low/Halogen high was mainly a 'bang for the buck' combo. Twin HID is still the best. I would need to find out from our HID supplier about the higher wattage HID's, but I'm sure they are available for these lights.

Yes, the GPS bolt's straight onto the dash. If you are giving the bike 'extreme' usage, then it may be advisable to put a short 'leash' on it just in case, but I've certainly not had any experience of the GPS parting company from the normal plastic holders that are available for them.

The dash will also accomodate other accessories like power sockets and it is very easy to tap into the Lynx's wiring harness to supply power to these accessories, without having to run dedicated power wires back to the battery.

Hope this helps.

Ian
  10. Ian B

Oddometer:
    You might be able to bolt the touratec mount to the dash on the zumo, but otherwise any of the aftermarket plastic ones will work (no locking though). The fairing does a really good job of insulating the vibes, so there is no need to have a mount that insulates the vibes like the TT, but if you can get the TT to bulkhead mount with the zumo, then that is the best setup.
  11. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    I bolted my Zumo 550 motorcycle holder directly to the dash. I had to reposition it about 1/4" lower because the swinging locking bar was blocked -- too close to the top.

I recently upgraded to the Zumo 660, and the holder uses the same bolt pattern as the 550 mount. The 660 mount is much slimmer, and even though the screen is much bigger, the footprint on the dash is actually smaller than the 550.

The locking system is also different, using a push button on the right side to release the unit. Mounted directly, flat on the dash, there isn't enough room for my finger to release the GPS from the mount. It needs about a 1/2" spacer on the top bolts to allow room to depress the release button.
  12. GiMoto Canada

Oddometer:
    Can you post some photos? I am tired of learning the hard way and would prefer to learn from someone who has already done it. No rush as I am buried in four feet of snow for three more months...
  13. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    The main reason I like the Touratech mount is for the locking feature. It's one less thing I need to worry about securing when I make a quick trip into a store.

Ian I'm sorry for so many questions...

The customer(s) who had the broken windsheilds, was it because the windsheild was extended when they crash? If the sheild would of been all the way down do you think it would of still broken off?

The reason I'm asking this is because I had my first drop today with the new 690:cry The front tire got stuck in a muddy rut and down I went. :cry I will say she sure is a lot easier to pick up then my Big 'o' Gurl 990!!:lol3
  14. Ian B

Oddometer:
    No problem with the questions. At least everybody following the thread gets the benefit of the answers.

Anyway, in most cases, the screen is up and the incidents vary from a major road accident, to the bike simply falling over in the garage ! One guy even had a fist sized stone falling from the back of a truck that hit the screen. He said it would have given him a real bad day if the rock had hit hime in the chest or neck ! However, lets put this in perspective though. I think we have supplied about 30 replacement screens over 3 years out of nearly 1000 fairings and this includes replacements where the owners just want to replace one that is a bit scratched.
  15. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, so it doesn't sound like it's a normal occurance.:deal
  16. mototifosi

mototifosi What does this one do?

Oddometer:
    Ian,
    what do you have for the 08 EXCR 530's? Use the 690 set up? Generic? Coming out with another for the KTM's? Does anyone out there have pics of the Lynx set up on KTM's ? Can ya'll post more pix of what you did with the dashes and other bikes please? I have seen the 690 which looks sweet....
    Thanks in advance...
  17. SeanVancouver

SeanVancouver n00b

Oddometer:
    Ian,

It was great to see your display and meet you and the Motooverland folks at the Vancouver MC show last weekend. I live near you in Surrey and have a 2010 690R. Looking to order my new fairing soon. Will get the HID low beam but I am not sure whether or not to go for the HID high beam. Talk to you soon.

Attached Files:

18. Ian B

Oddometer:
    Good to meet you too (and yes I remember you taking the photo, which was quite difficult !). I would go with the Halogen high. It saves you money and has the benefit of being more 'instant' when you switch it on. With the HID there is a very slight delay, if the ballast is cold. Furthermore, it's very easy to add the high beam HID anytime in the future, particularly as you live so close. Having said all that, it is kind of nice having that bright 'white' light.

Either way, you're gonna be blown away by comparison to what you're used to !

Ian
  19. Ian B

Oddometer:
    OK, this is probably a bit confusing, because it's not on the website yet, but there are going to be 2 fairings for KTM's. One is 690 specific and comes with specific instructions on fitting to that bike and a dashboard that is pre-drilled for the relocation of the speedo.

The other will be 'KTM Generic'. This is the same fairing/screen as the one shown here (690), but it will have less specific instructions and the dashboard will be left 'clear' for guys to relocate their OEM or aftermarket speedo wherever they like. The instalation is not difficult and does not require any drilling or cutting on the bike. The fairing locates straight onto the two drilled holes on the top surface of the bottom triple clamp on virtually all KTM's. The other mounting point is where the dash clamps under the handlebar risers as with any other Lynx. There are no photos of this fairing as the first ones have only just gone out this week (both in black and orange), but you will get the general look of it from the 690 pics.

The fairings are available in Black (shown here with the included orange decals) or plain orange. All Lynx's cost the same and all can have the same combos of HID's and headlight protectors etc.

450 and 530 owners need to be aware that without a rewound stator, they will have to have twin HID's for the lower power draw.

Ian
  20. GiMoto Canada

Oddometer:
    Ian,

Can you post the install instructions? I would be interested to know what needs to be done and how it mounts in comparison to the stock system.

Thanks!