Dirt Bike History 101

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by kittycactus, Jan 21, 2008.

1. zeerx

zeerx Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a blast from the past. I remember seeing him at Pepperell (I think it was Pepperell) back in 1970.
  2. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:

love Montesa's... I would have the garage full of them given half a chance....
    My 1980/81 125 H6 ..also have a 1977 Cota 348 MRR....
    [​IMG]
  3. KansasBob

KansasBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like This? :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really dislike you...:lol3
  5. 305racer

305racer Fossil Rocket Pilot

Oddometer:
    I'm not too fond of either of you 2 right about now. :lol3 I really dig those late model H6's and H7's.
  6. KansasBob

Oddometer:
    Missing from my group shot is a 1971 18M Gray Ghost 125, a 1971 63M Gray Ghost 250, an early 1973 Cappra VR with the old style tank in red, and a 1969 Cappra 250 GP like Kenny Roberts rode. :augie

14 in all, and enough frames motors and spares to easily build one more.
    I also have the NOS inventory from two defunct dealers sorted by part number in envelopes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The VR is complete, but stored in a box just now and I don't seem to have a pic of the 250 Gray Ghost on my laptop.
  7. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
    A Norton and a Greeves battling in 1964 UK acrambles action. A time of transition when two strokes were starting to make their presence felt.

[​IMG]
  8. KansasBob

Oddometer:
    Here is a pic of me from aaahhhhh 1974?
    I had just finished my "works" upgrade to my 71 34M King Scorpion over the winter. New Akront aluminum rims, Mikuni carb, relocated "laid down" upper shock mounts/with Konis, and Preston Petty fenders. The white frame had been painted black so it would look more like the new VRs. :1drink

I LOVED that bike, and like a fool sold it in the late 70's to move on to Hot Rod cars. It was stolen from the buyer some years later and vanished for good.

[​IMG]

Bell Bottom corduroys, Jean Jacket, and a used helmet I bought out of the want adds in the news paper = Gear
  9. 305racer

Oddometer:
    A year before I was born. :D
  10. spdjnky

spdjnky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, This is probably not the thread to be asking this question but I am looking for the measurements for an oval Penton air filter from a 1972-1975 (should be the same). I have a '78 Hercules GS250 and need an air filter for it but cannot find one anywhere on the internet. An old mechanic I ran across said that he thinks the oval air filter from the '72-'75 Penton will fit. Again sorry to derail this thread for a second but I need some help.
  11. rpage11

rpage11 Skip

Oddometer:
    Call Al B.

http://www.pentonpartsusa.com/2b 1 KTM air box.htm
  12. 305racer

Oddometer:
    Helmut Clasen who runs the page and is THE Hercules/Sachs guru can set you up.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/163502550379223/
  13. rtw02

rtw02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bell bottom cords stood up a little better than jeans in a "laydown", but were just as heavy when wet.
    A lined jean jacket was better than a regular one, but usually they were too hot and you had to leave them un-buttoned ... :rofl
    Those permanently "borrowed" and second hand helmets were always loose and you had to reach up with your clutch hand to push them up...
    Usually in a corner :rofl
    Standard gear in the early seventies.
  14. KansasBob

Oddometer:

..........................................................................................:freaky
  15. spdjnky

spdjnky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks rpage and racer. Much appreciated!
  16. spdjnky

spdjnky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered up a 1972-75 Penton/KTM 250 air filter. It fits my 1978 Hercules GS250 air filter cage perfect. Thanks again for the help guys.
  17. altf4

altf4 playground psychotic

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

g max ~:)
  18. altf4

altf4 playground psychotic

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

actually, dave evans, the rider of this olde stalward ariel told me the story of the velocette. its rider had had stroke and has difficulties pulling the clutch leaver. so, this has turned out to be his training bike at the mo, training his reflexes to come back...in the background you see an automatic husky, no clutch needed, but no engine brake either - which makes for some interesting riding.

great old lads on great old bikes!1!!

g max ~:)
  19. ANKOF

ANKOF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi. dont know if this is the right place for my question. got hold of a 85-86 ktm 500. it has a usd fork marked "k5 86 mx 85 -36" can anyone tell what it is from that? used the rear part oh the bike for my sidecar last winter. and now I have swapped some stuff for the rest of the bike and the idea is to use ktm front with engine for something else. or build a new swing for the hack and fix the ktm. or something:) anyway Im curious about the fork.
  20. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought that was an HS scrambler but it looks like he has built one out of an iron-barrelled road model. Glad to see it being used!