Best Mod ever for quick, no mess oil changes for your 9*0

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Just Paul, Jan 4, 2012.

1. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.
    If you loctite the jam nuts to the stud with some heavy-duty 648 or 271, it's no problem to pull the plate for service.

[​IMG]
  2. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dont really see the need to remove it but thats a good thought. The thing is I installed them with no intention of removing em.
  3. kdscoates

kdscoates Long timer

Oddometer:
    So let me ask some stupid questions here
    You get the quick valve and it screws right in the oil tank when you pull the plug and then you no longer have to remove the tank on the oil change just reach up there and flip the valve and drain the oil down the tube.
    The other mod has a plug you pull off and drain the oil which is left right under the bike in the belly pan but you have to grind
    out a spot in the metal piece that holds the belly pan up.
    I think I get it but I am just trying to be clear:huh
  4. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    On the QuikValve you do also have to grind out that corner of the aluminum for the drain hose.

Both methods have a hose that stores between the skid plate and the engine.

With the QuikValve damage to that hose has no consequence.

With the other, damage to that hose, or, if the end cap were to come off, will drain the tank.

The chances of that happening are pretty slim, but I like not having to be concerned with it by using the QuikValve.

If you already have the hose and cap mod there probably isn't any compelling reason to go to QuikValve, as long as you always verify a tight cap and routing to avoid rub/pinch points.

If you have neither it seems that the QuikValve might have enough of an advantage to bias it as the preferred mod.
  5. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    I like that idea. I will now go for it, thanks :)
  6. lowes48

lowes48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the ingenuity of the "Summit Valve", but at $40.00+ I think the Fumoto valve is a better value. But, if I already had some or all of the Summit parts floating around the shop I wouldn't hesitate using them. Thanks to the OP for giving us another option!
  7. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    This is one of those things, that I wish I would have thought of. Nice work.
  8. genghis9021

genghis9021 Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    It drains faster/better, too.

Kurt
  9. Masa

Masa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today I was at a hydraulics store getting some parts and asked them to make a drain hose. This version is very slim and that is it's flaw too. The hole is very narrow, only 4mm and hose is 1/4", so I'd think it takes some time to drain.. Would be better to find low pressure fittings with larger openings.

This was just an experiment and I'm not even sure if I want to start grinding my bike to make this mod work.

[​IMG]

Maybe I'll just stick to the old messy method.. :D

[​IMG]
  10. BaronVonDarrin

BaronVonDarrin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Philadelphia, and at times Western Maryland
    "taking a dremel and grinding away the material "
    what material are you speaking of grinding away?...
  11. Qwik

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]the material of the bracket right in front of where the blue meets the red. It needs to be removed so that the fitting can be threaded in. I will be doing mine soon and doing a write up on it when I do.
  12. BaronVonDarrin

BaronVonDarrin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Philadelphia, and at times Western Maryland
    oooooh ok. i was hoping it was a bracket or a fitting and not like, me tapping the oil cover or whatever. ha
  13. Qwik

Oddometer:
    Its really quite easy. I just used my dremel to cut away some material and then cleaned up the cut area. Takes me about 20 minutes start to finish on the trim of the plate.
  14. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about sucking the oil out of the fill hole? I guess you would drain the sump from the bottom but could you suck the oil out of the other tank?

DD
  15. Qwik

Oddometer:
    Tried that. Didnt get very much of it that way. This is simple and easy and you dont have to carry a suction pump.
  16. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Great job guys. I've seen this on Chris's bike and finally got one installed on my 950.

I've given the QuikValve a try in the past, and it took forever to drain in my opinion. I removed it. This is much faster.

I've made up a few of these for me and my buddy's bikes. I have assembled drain extensions ready to go. No work needed and ready to install at your next oil change. Anyone interested?

You'd need to modify your own Alum bracket. I can send a template.

Or would anyone be interested in a core swap product?

I can have the brackets modified here in my shop. I send out a bracket and Drain Hose. You send back your bracket for a core refund.

Drain Hose Kit: $55 plus shipping -includes new oil tank gasket. (slight price increase of $5 due to supply costs going up on all parts last order) This is the ADVRIDER member price for the Blue tank and plug fittings. Black Hose Fittings.

+$10 if you want All black fitting or Custom KTM Orange Fittings.

Drain Hose Kit and bracket exchange: $100 plus $75 Refundable Core charge, plus shipping. Send your bracket in for modification and no core charge.

Just a thought for those that don't want the hassle of cutting braided line, bleeding and putting this all together. :ear

This version is also Clear poly wrapped to protect anything from rubbing on the braided hose and I found some fittings that have a little larger ID for faster oil flow when it comes to drain time.

Please send me an email via Advrider if interested. This way I have your sign in name. I have more kits in stock ready to ship.

If you want a new bracket so that you can save your OEM one, I can do that too. Price would be $55 for the hose kit plus $139 for the modified bracket, plus shipping.

Safe and Easier travels,
    cj
  17. Douf

Douf Limey Bitch

Oddometer:
    CJ,

I just bought the parts, but haven't installed them yet. However, the template would slightly simplify the installation if you're interested in sharing that. I've got access to Pro Engineer and a manual Bridgeport so, assuming you have the information electronically, any common file format would suffice.

Cheers,

Douf
  18. gpthis

gpthis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cj,

Am interested in one of those!!
    Lemeno,
    Peter
  19. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:

Hi Peter,

I have one left. Shoot me an email w/ shipping details. :D

I've got enough interest in this. I'm going to make another batch.
  20. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:

whoohoo sweet!:clap