Modify vs replace: cheap grad student edition

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ph0rk, Apr 6, 2010.

1. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    Hi folks.
    I have a dilemma. Due to some strategic flooding (thanks, Ida), my only vehicle at present is a 2009 Kawi ex500. I like riding, and I don't mind not having a car anymore. (Winter will toughen you up!).

I don't really have the free time to fab something myself, nor am I mechanically inclined enough to enjoy it. There are friend/family garages available but they tend to be full of cars and are several miles away.

Problem:
    highway ergos and storage. I'd like hard bags, lockable would be better, lockable and removable would be best. There is apparently a hepco and becker rack available for ~$300, and I could either bolt on some plain pelicans for ~$200 or look into Caribou Cases with mount plates for ~$500, so looking at 500 to 800 total, there (Assuming I can get the cases high enough to avoid the exhaust). Highway ergos are probably some bar risers (~$100) and a touring screen (~$100), though reviews on the available screens are mixed, and I'd hate to drop $100 on a waste of time.

Alternate solution:
    Pick up a used wee strom or similar. There happens to be an 09 wee at a stealership nearby, though when I went to sit on it it had a corbin seat and was a bit too wide (the stocker is included though). Chances are I'd still have to buy the hard bags, but then I wouldn't be reliant on a $300 "maybe" rack from europe to make it all work, there would be scads more options. A side bonus would be probably much better highway ergos and if not at least a lot more aftermarket options. I'm about 5'10" with a 31" inseam, so tall bikes won't work, but <=32" probably will.

Difficulty:
    As they title mentions, I am a grad student with at least another 2 years to go, so income is limited. Not so limited I can't swing a monthly payment, but what would be best would be something I could knock out fast in a few months, because funding can be volatile. I can probably swing $500/month for a handful of months if need be. The wife probably wouldn't like the idea much, but not so much it would be impossible :).

So:
    Is it worth it to pour as much as $1000 into my ex500? I could see a hit as high as $3k to swap it for a strom or versys. I have no size/power/maneuverability/sexiness complaints with the ex, just storage and some minor ergo issues.
  2. ditchbanker

ditchbanker Owner of dull user line

Oddometer:
    The way I think, I'd put some money into the 500. How far do you have to go that you need a windsceen? When I was in college I'd do 50 miles a day on a DR650 w/out wind screen. I also just did a 1300-1400 mile trip a couple weeks ago on a naked GL1200 w/ no screen. If pennies are tight, don't worry about the wind screen. Besides, when I've read about the 'strom, the screen is often the part of the bike most often complained about. If you don't want risers, dirt bike bars can be had for around $40. A little bit more time intensive to install, but if they make them in the right thickness for you, you can easily raise your grips.

Lockable luggage might be tuff. Have you looked at GIVI trunks or the GIVI knockoffs?

A lot of the reason I look at it like this is because being covered with debt when you've already got a lot of expenses sucks. Fortunately, I've never been there, but I've seen it often. I'd try to avoid it. That's my two cents.
  3. CBBaron

CBBaron Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much lockable luggage space do you need?
    You can get a topcase rack from twisted throttle and a large case from JCWhitney for a couple hundred. Then some soft saddle bags if you need more storage temporarily.

At least to me that seems like the economical way to go about it.

Now if you can afford it and really want the upgrade, then it might be something you can justify. Just be sure to figure in the additional costs required to meet your needs.

Craig
  4. MathRocks

MathRocks Life's Equations

Oddometer:
    I agree - modify. My setup is exactly as above. I have a homemade rear rack with a JC Whitney top box ~$150 total. I have a wolfman duffel if I have to carry more crap. Works great for commuting to school! and total it was ~$275 Best part is, I can transfer all of it to my other bike - and any new bike I buy in the future.
  5. GuinnesS

GuinnesS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd too would stick w/ the 500. The givi racks won't be "maybe" racks and as ditchbanker stated, the new screen on the Strom is a guaranteed extra. Then again, current thoughts of a new (09) DL650 might already be the thin edge of the wedge.
  6. 22224

22224 It matters not

Oddometer:
    I used soft luggage and Helen 2 Wheels bags on my VFR. I had zero problems, and everything stayed dry. And I don't think their prices are too out of line.

I should add, I have factory hard bags on my Tiger and after my last trip the only time I will use them is when we are riding 2 up.

Bar risers are cheap, and a Laminar Lip for the windshield is 84 bucks.
  7. njd

njd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's my 500r with the givi rack/case

[​IMG]

If you need more storage space, you still have room for a tail bag (cortech works for me), and a tank bag.

Though in my opinion, I'd go with a new bike. Why? You're going to want to upgrade to a new bike eventually anyway. If you can afford it now, go for it. A strom would be a great choice, and you could always lower it if it's too high. And the good thing about it is that there are tons of luggage options with a strom, whereas with the 500r, you're as limited as you can get.

By the way, to my understanding, the luggage rack sold by twisted throttle for this bike ONLY accepts givi cases. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
  8. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    njd: From what I understand, the f425 is monokey or monolock only, not that I have a serious problem with that.

I should add that I currently have cortech sport saddlebags (and the matching tail bag) as well as some rokstraps that generally work. For most things, most of the time. I'm a bit squeamish about strapping my laptop to the back of the bike, but maybe inside the tailbag with a bunch of eggshell foam underneath (like they ship hard drives in) would do the trick.

The fact a friend of mine just snapped up a new 09 f650gs is -not- helping. I have a rock hard cheap bastard inner core, though, and the ex500 is paid for, so I'm actually still leaning towards some light modifications.

slapping some pelicans on there would make me soooo happy.
  9. njd

njd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I'm so with you there. If there was an easy/cheap sidecase solution for the 500, I'd probably keep it for another couple of years while saving up for a new bike. Instead, I'll probably be looking to buy a strom or versys sometime in the fall this year.
  10. hpsVFR

hpsVFR Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer:
    I've strapped laptops to the rear rack of my VFR750 for years. Most of the time it's been my PowerBook G4 (purchased fall of '04), in a Spire USA soft case. Sometimes that case is in a bag, sometimes it's been strapped straight to the rack. The computer is 6 years old and works well enough to type this.

Back up your data regularly, get a quality soft-case, and consider a personal articles policy specifically for the laptop (if it's expensive and you're seriously worried about it getting damaged when it's not at home). This is cheap and effective, and you can then proceed to flog your EX500 as long as you like without worrying about your computer.
  11. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's nothing as cheap as what you already own. It's paid for (sounds like), no new DMV title transfer costs, no surprises in a used bike to end up paying for. With a little creativity, you can get real cheap in adding luggage space. For example, buy ammo cases and be creative with mounting and adding a lock, rather than the cost of new Pelicans.

Beyond that, the Stroms are great bikes but have cult-like prices that I just don't understand. Easily in your price range and dirt cheap for a student to run would be a slightly used KLR650 that already has bags.

Good luck either way!
  12. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the bike is paid for - the result of a very uncharacteristic splurge on my part. I prefer to think of it as a gift someone else bought me, with my money.

I plan on experimenting with a macbook pro in a semi-hard sleeve (booq viper, technically for the wife's laptop but it mostly fits) on top of foam in a tailbag later today. The lappy isn't 04 old but it's pretty old (07 maybe?) I'm not worried about anything cosmetic, just hard drive death. (I keep my data backed up, I just don't want to futz with a new laptop hd if I can avoid it).

Total comfort with dragging the laptop around is a pretty big deal - otherwise I tend to leave it at home and twiddle my thumbs in my office once I've done all the reading I can stand.
  13. Sir Not Appearing

Sir Not Appearing That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer:
    Here's my EX500. It has a Renntec rack with JC Whitney topbox. I'll have to look, but there is a thread over at EX500 where a member made some mounts for sidecases. They looked easy to re-create and are on my list of things to do.
  14. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    I expect most anything appears easy to recreate when you can bend strips of metal to your will :)
  15. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
  16. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Right now is not a good time to buy used bikes, prices will be at the highest of the year.
    If upright riding position is a must, look into a used Suzuki Bandit, they tend to have lower standover height than VStrom. Air/oil cooled engine that is solid reliable and have plenty of torque and hp. Prices should be lower than VStrom, too.
  17. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    This is a great time of year to buy this bike.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558199&highlight=gsx650F
  18. njd

njd Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    OK, I'll pay up to $250 toward your air fare and give you a place to stay when you arrive. It's fly and ride season.