2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    I'm a big guy....barely fit in a coach seat on a plane...and I mean barely.

The new AdventureR looks just fantastic to me. I was a bit worried it would not have enough wind protection, but actually looks like its going to be perfect.

I just can't wait. The only part I'm not looking forward to is the valve adjustments. :1drink
  2. vanilla

vanilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MCN: "most versatile bike I've ever ridden"
    "Better power to weight ratio than Multistrada"
  3. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:

How do they figure that? Factories claim the same power for each. KTM claims slightly more weight. And MCN hasn't had it on the dyno or weighed it, AFAIK.

Sounds like they liked it tho. :D
  4. mobileman

mobileman West Lothian

Oddometer:
    Sod it, couldn't help myself, ordered a 1190 R the other week, from what i can see i think i will have one of the few ones delivered in Scotland from the first build. Roll on the start of March!!
  5. coast range rider

coast range rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very sad that MCN considers a lower power to weight ratio "better." :(:
  6. vanilla

vanilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do you mean???
  7. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    MCN obviously means that the KTM has a fatter torque curve.
  8. coast range rider

coast range rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peak HP is about the same. The Multistrada is about 30 lbs lighter than the 1190 Adventure.
  9. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    That's my thought.

Back on pricing ...:lol3 I just saw the price here in Chile:

990: $23,241
    1190: $24,510
    1190R: $24,806

Not bad.
  11. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems KTM are going to have pretty much world pricing. Australian prices look good also. I was at local BMW dealer yesterday and they have droped prices for the new GS , not by as much as they should but still unlike Ducati whose price is in the $35,000 $US mark for the Multi.
  12. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Ducati fueled weight of 220 Kilos compares to 230 kgs for the KTM , I have used different sources. The Ducati weight however is for the non ABS and Standard suspension. I also note that the KTM figures for power are 110 Kw, which is .5 higher than Ducati. All subject to who is telling the story. For me I don't care to much , the power of both is very good , my interest in the KTM is about different factors , mostly the issues that drive me mad with Ducati .
  13. Tiggersteve

Tiggersteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    here in the UK the stock 1190 is a £1100 more than a stock GS and specking one up to a similar GS is more expensive,
    AT those prices they will struggle to infiltrate the GS clan,
    BMW seemed to hang back a while after the launch before announcing their pricing, funnily enough just after KTM
    personally I would have the KTM every time but I think they have their work cut out justifying the price (here in the UK)
  14. vanilla

vanilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I must admit, I was surprised to see that the GS was cheaper. Although the KTM is still cheaper than a Multi, yet Ducati seem to sell a lot of those!

KTM do seem to have got the styling wrong on the base 1190- far too bland. The R looks good though!
  15. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This!

It is the area under the curve that matters in application. Peak numbers are nothing but one data point. Unless you have a CVT to always run engine at that point, you are ignoring reality by over simplifying the comparison.

The fueling of the RC8R (dual spark same engine in 1190adv) is leaps and bounds better than MTS1200 so I imagine even if on dyno they are even, the katoom will feel (be) faster just rolling on the throttle under most conditions.
  16. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get it now. MCN is simply parrotting a claim from KTM, which says on one of its web pages for the bike:

"The new 1190 Adventure sets the standard for the whole travel segment: 150 hp with a weight of only 230 kg fully tanked give rise to a power-to-weight ratio previously unheard of in this class and hence to unrivalled ride dynamics."

So, obviously KTM does not consider the Multistrada to be a member of the class.

They are saying that it is a lot more powerful than a GS or an Adventure 990 and a lot lighter than an Explorer, Stelvio, Crosstourer or Super Ten. Anything with a 17-inch front wheel and sports-profile rubber doesn't count.
  17. Redxjs

Redxjs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully picking mine up next week :)))))
  18. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I have the new Multi Strada Promotion Booklet from the dealer. The equivalent Multi to the KTM has a weight of 224 KGs according to the Ducati Material. Consider that the Multi has less fuel , the KTM might beat it ? In any case a very close contest. The lightest Multi is now 196 Kgs empty , so over 200kgs with fuel. If we go to one with a few options ie: KTM spec level then I'd say very close. THe Ducati booklet says power is up 110.3 Kw , this is just so marginal not worth a debate. In reality we need someone to weigh both bikes.
  19. Croak

Croak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Ducati wet weight figures weren't exactly realistic. Real-world numbers on a scale put it about 30 pounds heavier with a full tank of fuel than what Ducati claims. Add panniers/mounts and electronic suspension and it goes up even more. It's light for the class, but it's not sub-500 pounds wet, never has been.
  20. surfted

surfted Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It looks like the adventure has shorter wheelbase and longer trail compared to adventure r. How does this affect the bikes in feel and stability?