Yooperbikemike's 2013 MotoGP Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Nov 11, 2012.

1. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    I was thinking that Yamaha should sign him to a contract NOW as he comes up through Moto 3 and Moto 2. I would expect him to have full Repsol backing soon, if he doesn't already have it.

He looks older than Marc, already.
  2. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:
    Both Rins and Marquez have full Repsol backing. Of the Marquez brothers, Alex is said to be the talented one. Rins is the guy who keeps beating Alex Marquez. If I were Lin Jarvis, I would have Rins' signature on a contract for MotoGP in the future.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    And there you have it!

Does Repsol employ Julia Marquez, too? You would think they would.

Rins has been very impressive this year.
  4. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a link to today's moto gp Indianapolis race, I couldn't view it live and would like to see it.
  5. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    You....mean.....it will be brother vs brother in a few years? Shades of Schumachers
  6. RememberTheFallen

RememberTheFallen Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean next year?

Pol vs Aleix. Pretty sure I know which one is gonna dominate that one just by the bike he is riding.
  7. Dunewar

Dunewar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Am I alone in thinking we are witnessing the coming of a GOAT ? Given the same length of career, I think Marquez can even give Rossi a run for his money in statistics. First ever this, first ever that... I reckon the championship is his unless Bautista shows up on his inside and takes him out.

My jaw was on the floor when I saw the difference in laptimes between MM and Pedrobot/George at about 2/3 of the race in Indy. Half a second difference per lap! :eek1 He was consistently running laps under the previous lap record held by Pedrosa. He was actually improving towards the end, when logic dictates that worn tires take the edge of lap times.

He actually developed a hobby of following them around for a couple of laps, letting them know he is there, and then pass them wherever he feels like it.

It is however clear to me that Yamaha has some technical disadvantage. Pedrosa clearly outran Lorenzo in the straight on pure top speed. Bautista showed the same on Crutchlow, by the end of the straight line he was faster.

So that means that the only guy without an excuse is Pedrosa. He has the same machine as his rookie teammate, and cannot even keep up, let alone pass him.

There are some interesting years ahead of us...
  8. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    The Marquez brothers training

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/ArqhDZooJug?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/ArqhDZooJug?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  9. Dunewar

Dunewar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Proofs that dirt track is still a good preparation for MotoGP. As Stoner and Hayden showed before him : being able to control a sliding rear tire is hugely important. Just watch the slomo vids from Indy.
  10. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are witnessing a very special rider. But he's not MotoGP champion just yet. Or the GOAT - Jesus, the dude is now half-way thru his rookie season in the big class!! But yes, he makes winning look easy.

Pedro still has a valid excuse in his shoulder. I do expect him to put up one hell of a fight, once he's fully fit again. Remember, all 3 top Spaniards have taken some pretty high-velocity trips into the kitty litter this year. MM is currently the luckiest of them, because he has escaped serious injuries.

It ain't over yet.
  11. Dunewar

Dunewar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not saying he is the Greatest Of All Time yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion that in 10 years time he will be. Just my hunch. But I'm a fan, so take my opinion with a bucket of salt.

And about "luckiest" : not falling off is also a talent. Lorenzo said he was almost 100%, but I didn't see much of a fight. Also, Pedrosa has indeed a valid excuse, but championship points are not calculated with handicaps...
  12. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, Marquez had one of the fastest speed get-offs in grand prix racing history during Mugello practices. At Assen, he had a monumental highside, too, and was caught under the bike. Both those actually did injure him a bit, but didn't make him sit out races.
  13. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    No one will ever know the greatest of all time! Time is infinite, The greatest of this/his/our generation or a great big flame out we will see!:deal
  14. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So is Indy going to get a long term deal? Will dorna cut Laguna ?
  15. Twinz

Twinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even Harris is better at it than Shaheen!
  16. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Fox Sports 1 sucks.

Race was good....what of it they actually showed anyway.

And no talk at the end about the last lap Nicky /Dovi thing.......favorite American rider on an American TV network. WTF??:huh
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    The agreement was only for next year which Dorna had already agreed to but Indy had the option of backing out of. Both tracks agreements expire after next year. I suspect we'll have to wait until after next year's Indy race to see which one gets cut.
  18. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
    Yes, people are forgetting that the big difference in the "injury list" for the title chase is not that Marquez has crashed any less then his opponents but that he fortunately hasn't been badly hurt while crashing! Perhaps at 20 years old he bounces better, or maybe just luckier...but this season could have played out much differently (as racing will) if that 200 mph crash or his others had gone differently. He is an incredible talent, but I think it's unclear if he is up against the best performances of his injured rivals...or even if it would make a difference if they were healthy. His speed and ability to win is impressive, but his ability to finish consistantly on the podium regardless is definitely the stuff of World Champions.
  19. Zeekster

Zeekster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well another race in the can and...another round of bashing the azzhats on race coverage...ad nauseum! if ya can spend all that money on beers ya can order-up a years worth of MGP coverage with their online sub...the best coverage of...oh! RACING no commercials no bullshit...just racing...the cost of a front tire is all... thanks fer lettin me rant...:eek1:deal:clap:freaky:ear:lol3
  20. sailor22

sailor22 Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer: