Shopping a New Bike.... Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by JRose, May 3, 2014.

1. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I love my 800GS, but want a smaller bike for tighter, more technical trails. Basically, a NON 600# beast that I can treat a little more like a dirt bike, and thrash on.

Since my dirt bike days are pretty much over, and I've kinda changed gears on what tickles my pickle these days, I have little interest in a bike that I can't ride on the road legally.

That being said....

I REALLY miss some good single track, fun trail riding.

I'm wanting to get a smaller bike, for short semi local weekend type riding. Keep the 800 for touring, and longer, less technical trips.

The demila is two fold.

1) Do I get something in the 250-400cc range, or 400-650cc range.

2) Do I get another fancy bike, or K.I.S.S style bike?

On the size, I think the former would be a little more fun, but never having owned a dual sport bike of that size, worry how much of even a weekend travel it (or I) could withstand. For example, a friend of mine owned a DRZ 400 and hated it. Said it wasn't good for more than an hour of road time before he wanted the hell off of it. He has a DR 650 now and absolutely loves it. Says that he doesn't feel an overwhelming differenence in the capabilities either.

This makes me think I should possibly go DR. Still not a single track master, but still almost half the weight of what I'm wrestling now, and within that compromise factor you have with DS bikes.

Next, the fancyness factor. I've always wanted a Husky TE, but I also miss the simplistic KLR days... Something like a DR is nice knowing in can wipe out, and not cost $1k....

So, does anyone have another smaller bike along with their BMW? Chime in. Let me know some opinions.
  2. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a DR350 in December,

I had been thinking about a second bike for a while and the opportunity presented itself.

Compared to the F8 its feels like a bicycle, I've been working on the ergonomics to get it more comfortable for me and I'm close but the seat is a torture device.

it makes even the forest service roads easier. You can really thrash it and it's small enough and low power enough you're not being too stupid....or illegal.

BUT, I wouldn't want to ride it very far, it will not be the bike I take a trip on, It isn't the bike Ill take on a mostly pavement ride.

As a friend tells people, having 2 bikes you tend to focus on the positive things of the one you are riding.

YMMV
  3. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There seems to be a tipping point I'm trying to find between tourer, and day rider.

I want the smallest bike possible that can comfortably do a weekend trip, where there might be a few hours of street time transit or whatever, but not buying a redundant bike to the 800.
  4. BMW-K

BMW-K Unmitigated Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    It all depends on how much dirt you want to do and what kind of dirt that is.

Fireroads? Heck, just slap some knobbies on the F8 and call it good.

Lots and lots of sand, gravel, baby heads? I went with a WR250r and it's fantastic. True, it gives up a bit on the road but off road that thing really shines. But it's certainly not a freeway mile eater the way the F8 is.

In my garage I have a WR250r, the F8GS and a Ducati Monster. I pretty much have it all covered from Single Track to Track Days.
  5. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an XR 250 that next year my son will take over. Then it will be replaced by either a We,

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
  6. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oops Wr Crf or KLX, can't decide.

7. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had an XR250. It wasn't what I consider road worthy at all, less a short stent between trails.
  8. PatSmith

PatSmith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about a honda 450x that you make street legal.?
    Magic button, great dirt bike, honda reliability. Plenty do farkles at reasonable prices.
  9. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know about a 450x, but the XR400 and 650 are always contenders. The XR250 I had was amazingly dependable, just gutless
  10. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry it's not a road bike in my case but my wife said 2 bikes is it. That's why I'm waiting for the boy to start riding it. Sell his CRF 100 and then......hey now I only have one bike, and what good is that??? I agree though not a long distance roady at all even if it was street legal.

11. Stephenmarklay

Stephenmarklay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As the suggestion above one of the best is the wr250r. A lot of following, reliable motor and decent highway performance. It also has a high output stator for extras. Its still 300 pounds however.

You can get a KLX250s which has a nice upgrade path to a torquey 351. Suspension is just ok. Still 300 pounds.

A DR is not a great single track bike and I would take a WR first. A lot better bike for the same money.

I have been told that the 450x will be offered street legal very soon as well as the 250x. Not sure I would wait for this as rumors have been ongoing. This however is a very reliable source.

I am not sure what you are comparing here:

"This makes me think I should possibly go DR. Still not a single track master, but still almost half the weight of what I'm wrestling now, and within that compromise factor you have with DS bikes."

The DR is about 366 which is about 100 pounds less than the GS.
  12. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Strongly leaning toward the TE450 Husky. I saw one on a ride a couple weeks ago, and it looked nimble, well sprung, and lightweight, while still having some ass.
  13. chris73

chris73 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at small bikes too. For me the ktm, husky, husa maintenance requirements are insane. Wr250r or Drz 400 are my options. Or I may go nuts and get a ccm 450gp adventure.
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your friend dont see a lot of difference between the dr650, and the drz400, then I would question his riding abilities.
    The DRZ is equally better, and more nimble trail side, as the 250's are better and more nimble than the DRZ.
    DRZ indestructable, and reliable, the 250's good, but not as much as the DRZ. DR650, is old tech, but if that is what you want, then perhaps that is the ticket. It also sits lower than the DRZ. The DRZ is a turd, motorwise until you work the motor. But then it is fun. I have a DRZ, that have been worked. Stock, they dyno 33 hp at the wheel. Mine now has 55 at the wheel. That is a fun bike.
  15. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about a G650?

420 wet. Simple air cooled bike.
    :lol3
  16. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to stay away from a G650, due to I would like something I can thrash on without worrying about, ie dirt bike style plastics...

That's my main hang up with the Husky, I'm kids drifting back into high maintence, expensive parts scenario.

Erling, how is the "worked" DRZ on the road? Also, what does this work consist of? I'm definitely not opposed to that...

I need to be able to do 3-4 hours road time without feeling like I hate life... Looking for a true weekend warrior.

I'm out on trailering bikes to the site. I gotta have a tag. Ha

My friend isn't a very aggressive dirt rider, he said that the DR actually held the extra weight low, and didn't feel a huge difference, but agian, he's not a big dirt rider, and his progression was DRZ to KTM 990 to DR650, so not exactly a direct comparison. He might've just thought anything was better that the 990, which he hated.
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will start by saying that nothing in the 400 or less category, will make you smile after 4 hrs of slap time :deal.
    They are simply too light, and seating ergos are not there. If I cannot slap it in 1 hr, or less, I hop on the 8GS. The motorwork done on mine is Big bore kit with a stroker crank to a 470cc motor. Oversize valves,cams, and up to a FCR 41mm carb. Head is ported, and it has a full pipe system on it as well, but with my own CF pipe, to controll noise, with out power sacrifice. Reason I went with the DRZ, is the stock motor supports stock reliability up to 55 hp. I do oil changes every 1500 miles, and now have about 18000 miles on it. I bought it new in 2006, and motor was worked in 2008. Have never let me down. Had to put a YTZ10S battery in it to crank that stroker motor. But it will outrun the 8GS untill about 50 mph. It is silly fun. That is as far as the motor goes, all dressed in CF of course. I think that anything less than the 650 will not treat you well on the highway. Dont get me wrong, I have done it, but the DRZ runs about 1000 rpm per 10 mph in 5'th gear. If you want to grin on the freeway, and be a little less capable trailside, you need to look at the 650 class, but, I find myself doing just about as much on the 8GS, as I do on the DRZ. Have actually tried to sell it a couple of times, but hasn't happened. Personally, If I picked my two bikes, it would be the 8GS, and the FI Yammy twofitty. I dont think there is enough spread for me between the 8gs, and the DRZ, but again, I do some silly stuff on the 8GS, that perhaps many won't.....:lol3
  18. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Quite possibly hunting the unicorn on this one... Ha

I'll just settle with the 400, and take the F8 for anything farther. I think anything in the 650 class will become redundant.
  19. OrcasKen

OrcasKen Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got both an F8 and KLX250. The KLX is generally for single track day rides, though I took it on a 5-day camping trip on the WABDR two summers ago and enjoyed myself. I did add a Seat Concepts seat to it (much improved over stock), plus worked up some pseudo-racks to latch a couple Kriega US-20 bags onto.

Were I to do it again, I've thought much about the WR250r and DRZ 400 as a companion bike to the F8. For me, the WR wins hands down. I'm not a hooligan rider and would rarely find value in the extra power of the 400. The reliability and less weight of the WR wins out.

Happy decision making!
  20. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to get some seat time on a WR, KLX, and DRZ...

Good conversation. Thanks for all the input.