R1200GS without ESA, can't find any.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by FJR_ski, Dec 26, 2012.

1. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been looking for a used R1200GS 2010-2012 without ESA for a while and nothing. Why is this so difficult?

I might have to get a new one, I just hate the cost of new model.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Patience Grasshopper. They are out there. :1drink
  3. erkmania

erkmania I Remain Undeturd

Oddometer:
    You might have to get a lowered one and convert it. If you're already contemplating aftermarket shocks then the only additional costs would be the side and centerstand.

I had to buy mine new to get a non-ESA bike. Glad I did. I put Hyperpros on the bike and it works great.
  4. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, the ESA is limited to number of setting, but the primary reason why I don't want the ESA is the cost to replace them or fix them. Wilbers cost $1400.00 and I'm sure they are much better and last a lot longer.
  5. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can remove the esa shocks and simply install aftermarket if/when they fail. So if you are planning on going to aftermarket shocks then getting ESA makes zero difference. As I understand it the missing ESA shocks only leave a "soft" code in the computer that can be read by the BMW computer but give you no error messages on the display.
  6. roadtrip22

roadtrip22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought my 2008 GSA with no ESA last month.. Just keep looking and put ads out there " WTB GSA 2010+ WITH NO ESA" there are out there but those who have them bought them for a reason. Just a matter of time one will pop up somewhere but you may need to travel some to go get it.
  7. lanceputnam

lanceputnam Hayden's Dad

Oddometer:

This. And... if you are going to replace them anyway, buy one with ESA and take off the stock esa shocks and sell them, you will probably get enough for them to pay for your wilbers.
  8. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, if there is a "soft-code", will a dealer service a bike, even if there is a recall?

9. SourKraut

Oddometer:
    They will see that you have aftermarket shocks and ignore/erase the suspension code.

I went out of my way to find a non-ESA GSA but ended up with ESA after I learned that you simply bolt in aftermarket shocks and beyond having an extra button on the controls there is no difference.
  10. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SourKraut,

Is this what most people are doing with ESA models? To imply unplug/not use ESA and get a aftermarket shock?

11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    The problem, as I see it, is that you pay extra for the ESA you don't want, then pay more for aftermarket shoks. True you can get aftermarket ESA, but they cost even more.

I do not know if ESA adds to the cost of a used bike, but I suspect the owners think it does.

I will hold out for NON-ESA when I buy my next one unless I get a great deal on it.

Jim :brow
  12. Harring10

Harring10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That might be a pretty tall order. I bought my '12 new in April and at that time the dealer told me it was one of only a few he could find in the country.

That said, i'm sure many more arrived since April, but my point is that the non-ESA models are difficult to find and most often bought by folks specifically for that reason.

I was recently asked if I'd be interested in selling mine, to which I happily replied... Sure, for the cost I paid plus the cost of the extras plus 10% and finally add another 10% frustration tax to all of that for having to try and find another one!!

No doubt there's one out there, but you might want to invest in some web search services to do daily scans for you :-)

Good news is, when you find it, you'll be glad you went through the misery to locate it.

Cheers
  13. SourKraut

Oddometer:
    I think that most people are running their stock suspension regardless of whether it is ESA or non-ESA. Mine is new so if they break the warranty will cover them until September 2015. After that, if/when they need replacing then I will likely put in non-ESA Ohlins.

I agree with JVB, if you get a great deal and aren't paying a premium for the ESA then it makes sense. If you are paying MSRP then it is a consideration I suppose.

My point is; if you are going to upgrade the stock suspension (either type) then it is irrelevant how it came from the factory.
  14. SeeRace

SeeRace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True that. I found a 2012 GSA on this site without ESA and fog lights in November and pounced on it. Now I have a clean slate to work with. Just have to decide which shocks, fogs, luggage, etc. They are out there, just have to be ready to jump on them. Interesting that folks are looking for non esa versions. I was on the fence about it.
  15. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    I would look for a non-ESA and non-CANbus model with the no-hole-in-the-middle FD.
  16. SourKraut

Oddometer:
    I might have suggested the same if the OP hadn't specified that he's looking for a '10-'12 model.
  17. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. Sltx1050

Sltx1050 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Gateway BMW in St. Louis has a 2011 non-ESA and non-ABS
  19. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want to go with a 09 I just traded my GSA into ATL BMW. If you want a newer one, just wait they are out there. I just picked up a 2012 GSA no ESA, although they had to get it from SC.