Adjusting front brake lever r100t?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Ctscrambler, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Ctscrambler

Ctscrambler 2010 Scrambler Black

Oddometer:
    The brakes work fine but there is a little loose play in first 1/4" of travel of lever which is causing the rear brake light to be on while driving unless I push the lever forward with my fingers while driving, which causes my fingers to freeze since can't hold on to heated grips and its 28!degrees out!

On another matter. When I removed the gas cap for the first time there was a rotted out rubber o ring on the base of gas cap which I removed for fear of parts falling into tank. But now I can't find the replacement part on the MAX BMW website. Do I really need this part? Does it prevent air or water from being sucked into tank?

Thanks for your help. This is all new to me.

Vinnie
  2. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have problem with the assembly. Either the master cylinder has leaked and caused the perch to corrode, or the assembly needs to be properly cleaned. You shouldn't have to return the lever manually.

The gasket for the gas cap is available. P/N 51 25 1 453 148.
  3. Rucksta

Rucksta SS Blowhard

Oddometer:
    All of the abouve + I've seen this caused by ovefilling the Master Cylinder.
  4. Ctscrambler

Oddometer:

BMWrench, thank you, I was hoping someone would respond as I was looking in the manual for some type of lever or knob to adjust the brake lever play and couldn't find one. I have no experience with motorcycle maintenance yet and will look into the mx book to see how to clean or bleed and refill the brake fluid, maybe that will fix it.

Thanks for finding the part # for the gasket. I'll order it from Max now.

:1drink
  5. Ctscrambler

Oddometer:

Rucksta, thanks for the advice, i'm going to empty or bleed all the fluid and refill and see if that fixes the problem.

:1drink