Bike cutting out above idle and losing electrical

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by gofreeride, May 2, 2015.

1. gofreeride

gofreeride n00b

Oddometer:
    First post, so correct me if I am breaking any etiquette or otherwise screwing up.

My 05 950 Adventure recently began acting up and for the life of me I can't seem to diagnose what is wrong. On a recent ride home the bike began to stall and back fire through 4-5k rpm. It was one of the first trips out this spring and I figured maybe a jet was gummed up. It ran like this for about 5 minutes and then the speedometer starting going nuts- flashing the wheel size, and bouncing around seemingly random speeds. About 10 seconds after that I lost all power. Headlight went out, speedo out, and the engine turned off. I couldn't fix it road side and towed it home.

Once home the bike started right up but would only idle. Any throttle and it starts to backfire before cutting out. When you give it and throttle it starts throwing a bunch of weird stuff on the speedo again. If I let the bike get to full temp it will shortly there after kill all electrical and turn off, not to remedy itself again until cold. It will also kill all electrical intermittently when hitting the start button

So I've started going down the checklist to try and find problems. I pulled the carbs apart and they were near spotless. Regardless I stripped them, soaked them in pinesol for 24 hours, blew out every jet and circuit with compressed air and reassembled them. I pulled apart the ignition switch and cleaned all the contacts, replaced the starter solenoid, checked every fuse, and checked the wiring harness for any breaks (not just visual, I metered out each wire). None of that has solved it.

Can anyone point me in the next direction to head?
  2. DualSport855

DualSport855 Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Grounding cables and battery?
  3. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Voltage regulator. Upgrade to a Mosfit.
    Had the same thing happen to me.
  4. rinho

rinho Rinho FĂ©roce

Oddometer:
    back in France but Soul still in North America
    At first the ign key switch came to my mind but with all the things you have mentioned, I guess Booger1 has the answer
  5. gofreeride

gofreeride n00b

Oddometer:
    Swapped out the voltage regulator from my gsxr and it was still a no go. I was about to really tear down the bike when I noticed moving the battery would cause the headlight to go on and off. You couldn't tell by looking out it, but the negative terminal had a little bit of play and wasn't delivering continual power. I guess a solder joint must have broken internally.

Thanks for the help though and hopefully this might help some else in the future.
  6. DualSport855

DualSport855 Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Called it! But seriously, I am glad you found the gremlin in the Kremlin. Cheers

2007 JK Wrangler and KTM 990