2.5 Bikes, 2 Riders, 9 wheels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stewy (Aus), Jun 4, 2013.

1. stewy (Aus)

stewy (Aus) searching for a ride

Oddometer:
    Ok, so you have seen the back story (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379050), 6 years on and a lot of support from people across the USA and the world and so soon hopefully we might get a chance to share a meal with a few of you over a beer or 2, or maybe get the chance to ride shoulder to shoulder as we cross the great land.

We have been talking and dreaming about achieving this for some time now, and it's time to either bite the bullet and try it, or regret it forever.

Is it stupidity to think a couple (one a paraplegic) could cross the USA on 2 & a half bikes? Well we are planning to find out. The plan is to take 10 weeks to criss cross and zig zag our way from LA to NY, to see the sights and enjoy the freedom and those unique views and sensations that only a motorcyclist understands.

So a bit about the bikes and riders, well I can confirm one starter will be the heavily modded KTM 690 SMR, prep'd with wheel chair rack, also fitted with one paraplegic wife pilot. Wild, reckless, noisey and stunningly beautiful.

[​IMG]
    Second bike will be a DL650 piloted by yours truly. :clap

The whole idea of the trip is see the main sights and attractions and but also to experience and see the many wonderful natural settings. For the most part I assume, with a wheelchair in tow, the views you get from the roads surpass where I can get her in a chair. Hopefully mix all that in with meeting a lot of friends from international forums and getting a chance share stories and experiences on an amazing trip.

Here is a rough map basically outlining our planned route.

[​IMG][/IMG]

We are flying into LA on the 14th of June. Mostly you will note it tries to incorporate the sights as well as some of your most amazing riding roads, but please feel free to add input to the route as local knowledge is always a bonus. We are semi flexiable on the route and can adjust to the left or right if you're maybe located to either side of the squiggly line and would be keen to met us and it ties in with an end of day stops, we would love to meet you too and will do our best to try and make it happen where possible. We do have certain places were we would like to spend a few days/nights and in other parts it will just be an overnight stop. We are slowly starting to work out these parts so again some knowledge on approx times to ride some passes would be great.

To try and keep the cost down we are looking at varous options from carrying camping gear with us to couch hopping (in lenna's case couch rolling, haha) as well as mixing that in with the hotel accommodation

Anyway, we look forward to your input and please post up your approx area if you're keen to try and catch up with us as we pass through on what should hopefully be an epic ride.

Will be putting up our day schedule aswell so if you wanna catchup as we pass through please shout out. With my wife a paraplegic we have had to plan some nights (and distance on certain days to reflect delay times we might encounter.

Anyway more detailed maps to follow, and hopefully see a few of you on the road (I know some here think adventure riding is off road, but try riding a bike when you can't walk, to us that adventurous enough, for the time being anyway) :lol3

:freaky
  2. stewy (Aus)

stewy (Aus) searching for a ride

Oddometer:
    oh yes you might of seen it on a few other usa forums aswell, will try and update them all as we go. :rofl
  3. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Outstanding guys, wishing you the best from ya Kiwi brothers!:clap
  4. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! S'scribed & Following. There's good riding here in San Diego if you're so inclined. I'm certain you'd like to get a Palomar Mtn. ride in. Let me know, Wife & I have extra space in the house & the garage also.
  5. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    AWESOME! I'll be following along too. When you get up towards Idaho pop me a PM, would love to chit-chat maybe a ride.
  6. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonderfull! Have fun!
  7. rootsy

rootsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike! Have a great trip. Looks like an excellent route.
  8. rcskier

rcskier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you get towards PA, send out an email. Would love to meet up. If possible. Kinda looks like you are heading up through the middle of the state. I live in the eastern part but hey, any excuse to ride!!!
  9. bdubbin

bdubbin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Neat bike! I look forward to reading this adventure!
  10. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    Very cool! :clap I'm in, looking forward to seeing this adventure unfold!!

:lurk
  11. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds great, route looks awesome. What I am really interested in is the KTM! That thing is awesome, I would love to have one! Custom made or a kit? It does lean while turning, right?

Oh yeah, I travel the South West a few times and would suggest, Zion National Park, Grand Canyon, Bryce National Park, Moab, Canyonlands, Arches National park.......But they are mostly located in Utah.

Subscribed.
  12. HairBear

HairBear I'm a Grandpa

Oddometer:
    I love getting in at the beggining of these big reports!:clap
    I'm also curious about the bike & why that instead of a Spyder or Ural or the other various options.

Come on June 14th!!:D
  13. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Epic ride for the two of you, pre-congratulations.

You need to include Utah, as rico pointed out. Zion & Bryce as a minimum, should not be missed. An easy reroute back to the west across Nevada and through Yosemite will be quite simple.

You'll be hitting the Mojave desert and it is heating up a bit. The key is to keep skin exposure is a minimum. If you don't always wear a riding jacket, at least put on long sleeve shirts through the desert's.

Welcome to the U.S.!
  14. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great plan!
    If you are open to suggestions, I'd like to suggest heading slightly north from your planned Mississippi River crossing to Dorena, Missouri where you can for $5 per bike cross the Big Muddy by ferry to Hickman, Kentucky.
    Maybe not a big deal in the overall scope of you trip, but a nice little look back to the time before steel bridges crossed the waters.
    In Hickman , find the Kentucky Kernal to try some wild shelled pecans. The wild ones are much smaller, more delicate and more flavorful than the commercial varyities.
    Anyway this reroute doesn't take you far off your original plan,but , it does get you into the great state of Kentucky.

Oh, the ferry is closed right now due to high water on the Mississippi , but it won't stay high forever.
  15. Rider John

Rider John Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have a great time you two! As others have said, Utah is beautiful and Moab will make you say "WOW"!
  16. Grrrl

Grrrl n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there peeps... Here are a few maps showing large sections of the route we have planned. The map is just a picture, but the links underneath the dates will take you to a live google map page where you can zoom right in or alter the route if you have an alternative route to recommend. Each green dot is a destination where we will spend a night. I think we cross about 25 states - do we cross yours? It'd be great to catch up with some fellow riders along the way, catch up for a beer, maybe you could show us through some of your best local roads? I can't believe we're going to be there on Friday!

Los Angeles to Baker City

[​IMG]

Date: Depart: Arrive:
    June 14 Melbourne Australia Los Angeles (4 days here)
    18 Los Angeles Las Vegas (3 days here)
    21 Las Vegas Bishop
    22 Bishop Twainharte
    23 Twainharte Sutter Creek
    24 Sutter Creek San Francisco (4 days here)
    28 San Francisco Casper
    29 Casper Mad River
    30 Mad River Medford
    JULY 1 Medford Bend
    2 Bend Clyde Holliday State Park
    3 Clyde Holliday State Park Baker City

Los Angeles to Baker City For detailed map.

Baker City to Cheyenne

[​IMG]

JULY 4 Baker City Boise/Weiser
    5 Boise/Weiser Idaho Falls
    6 Idaho Falls West Yellowstone
    7 West Yellowstone Red Lodge
    8 Red Lodge Buffalo Bill State Park
    9 Buffalo Bill State Park Gillette
    10 Gillette Deadwood
    11 Deadwood Sage Creek Campgrounds
    12 Sage Creek Campgrounds Horse Thief Lake
    13 Horse Thief Lake Cheyenne

Baker City to Cheyenne For detailed map.

Cheyenne to Amarillo

[​IMG]

JULY 14 Cheyenne Shadow Mountain Lake
    15 Shadow Mountain Lake Left Hand Canyon
    16 Left Hand Canyon Denver
    17 Denver Colorado Springs
    18 Colorado Springs Colorado Springs (day trip up Pikes Peak)
    19 Colorado Springs Curecanti National Recreation Area
    20 Curecanti National Rec. Area Durango
    21 Durango Holbrook
    22 Holbrook Albuquerque
    23 Albuquerque Amarillo

Cheyenne to Amarillo For detailed map.

Amarillo to Deals Gap

[​IMG]

JULY 24 Amarillo Oklahoma City
    25 Oklahoma City Hot Springs
    26 Hot Springs Harrison
    27 Harrison Mammoth Springs
    28 Mammoth Springs Memphis (5 Days here)
    AUG 1 Memphis Birmingham
    2 Birmingham Dahlonega
    3 Dahlonega Deals Gap

Amarillo to Deals Gap For detailed map.

Deals Gap to Mountain City

[​IMG]

AUG 4 Deals Gap Walhalla
    5 Walhalla Pigeon Forge
    6 Pigeon Forge Mountain City

Deals Gap to Mountain City For detailed map.

Mountain City to Philadelphia

[​IMG]

AUG 7 Mountain City Paint Bank
    8 Paint Bank McDowell
    9 McDowell Davis
    10 Davis Washington (5 days here)
    14 Washington Philadelphia

Mountain City to Philadelphia For detailed map.

Philadelphia to New York

Haven't looked into this last one properly yet.

[​IMG]

Philadelphia to New York For detailed map.
  17. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    Not sure, how strange!

Btw, that is a BITCHIN' KTM! :thumb
  18. ShiftHead

ShiftHead the f is silent.

Oddometer:
    so fricking subscribed to this one! You guys are the shiznit. When you get to BRP area you must allow me to meet and buy a round for you! Looks like it might be a while, but I will be looking for you!

KTMs are cool. That KTM is sub-zero.
  19. ShiftHead

ShiftHead the f is silent.

Oddometer:
    damn and DAMN! I just read the whole back story. That chick is fricking BAD. ASS. Seriously, you guys are awesome. Both of you. Thats some real :raabia
  20. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    I think this is so great