Air Pump that works with CANbus?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by SenorPeligro, Jun 8, 2010.

1. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    OK so my trusty motopumps.com air pump doesn't work with the CANbus on my F800GS. Does anyone know of a nice, compact pump that will work or am I doomed to run a powerlet directly from the battery?
  2. Simonf8gs

Simonf8gs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Or you can add/modify a 12v plug fused with 10-20A?
  3. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    your doomed to have to run another plug right from the battery. It has nothing to do with the outlet accepting CANbus communication, the factory outlet just does not have the capacity for high draw items such as air compressors.
  4. SenorPeligro

Oddometer:
    Good to know, thanks.

So uh what's the stock outlet good for? :ddog
  5. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, what Joel said.
    I simply run a fused pigtail from the battery down under the top "tank" panel. Tuck it under the seat area when not in use. I use that for powering a small air compressor, my heated jacket, and plugging in the Battery Tender Plus during the winter. Altho not all that stuff at once.... ;)

Almost one year on and no issues so far.
  6. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    You can also get the stock one rewired so that you can use higher draw items. I had my dealer do that shortly after I picked it up, and haven't regretted it.
  7. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    not very much, heated gloves, gps, radar detector, one of those ionizing air freshners. That's about in :)
  8. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Andy,

We can probably do your existing socket to the battery at the Assault on Tahoe ride.

You are bringing the new bike, right ????

Spafxer
    jim
  9. dukedar

dukedar 60 easy payments!

Oddometer:
    And a Power Inverter to charge cell phones and cameras... Worked like a charm for me!
  10. SenorPeligro

Oddometer:
    I should probably show up for that one sometime right? Actually it sounds like more on an XR650 escapade to me. :poser
  11. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Yeah :evil That's what I need for my rides past the dump! :rofl
  12. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    i got a slime tire top off pump from walmart that runs off thestandard outlet with a cig lighter adpter. its very small and a little slow blowing up my air mattress but it works.
  13. ecce

ecce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    happened to read the manual today. The cig socket is rated for 5 amps. So any pump at that or less should work I guess.

I havnt tried my pump since I sold the r1200gs. But it worked well on that bike and I assume it will on the f800 as well.
  14. peekay

peekay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most pumps need more than 5 amps to start, and will draw more current as the PSI rises. That also means small compressors which require less than 5 amps might not be powerful enough to fully inflate your tires.

The bottom line is to test your pump setup at the required PSI before it's actually needed. I've read about certain models (e.g. from Slime) exceeding 15 amps so that will not work even with most Powerlet retrofit kits. I guess they're designed for cars which have larger batteries.
  15. Waino

Waino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BMW actually has a wiring part that snaps into the existing pug, and wires directly to the batter (with fuse). It's used on police bikes. Get one at your dealer, and that socket will finally be worth something.
  16. ecce

ecce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my pump came with cig adapter and battery clamps. I guess the clamps would solve the problem. They fit just as well in the package. I think the brand is slime and I bought it at nippy normans online.

The preassure gauge that comes with it is pretty crap so I have a separate. The robbery-priced-german-precission one sold at touratech (are they publicly listed. Should get some shares really)
  17. ecce

ecce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can now also confirm that the slime portable electric pump works just fine on the f800gs. Even to pop the bead. I have tried it to 3 bar (I guess about 45 psi?). Engine did not need to be running.

this is the one I use
    http://www.gadgetjq.com/slime_pump.htm

if you remove all but the cig adaptor cable you will be able to fit a cig-din with about 30cm extension making it usable on the front and back tire. All fitting in the small portable package.

Suggest allowing it to rest for a few minutes if pumping a tire full from flat. It will get hot.