New F, Scratches from Dealership

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by gsyogi, Oct 13, 2012.

1. gsyogi

gsyogi Seeker

Oddometer:
    I took my new '12 F 800 GS in to the local dealership for some minor service—an installation of some accessory lights—(<1600 miles, pristine) and it was returned with the obvious "tool marks"/scratches on the fairing (see pics below). These were DEFINITELY not on the bike when I dropped the bike off for service. Any suggestions on gauging my response to the dealership? I know that my GS will get scratched up in the future, but I kind of wanted to be the one to do the damage! Thanks in advance.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47845656/F%20Scratches%20%281%29.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47845656/F%20Scratches%20%282%29.jpg
  2. ebnelson

ebnelson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to see your damage. I would probably work with the dealer first before posting this online. The next question will will ask will be, was it Foothills or Denver? It would be most fair for the dealer to have a chance to fix the problem at the outset.
  3. gsyogi

gsyogi Seeker

Oddometer:
    Purposely didn't identify and will not as I sincerely wish to give the dealership a chance to make this right ... however, I wanted to see what others would suggest before I either raise hell or "let it go"?! I am kind of at a loss, that's why I posted here ... I will happily remove this post if you think it is premature!
  4. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    I had service today on one of my bikes in Denver and also have a new scratch. Not happy. Bike was also smoking from the radiator when I got home, which I'm hoping is just some overfilled fluid burning off.
  5. ebnelson

ebnelson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd raise hell with the dealer for sure. Sounds like they have some rookie or ham fisted mechanics.
  6. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Are you serious?

Ship happens, even if you are careful and experienced. Tell them about it, give them a chance to fix it somehow, and when they deny it or refuse to do something about it - and you are POSITIVE that it wasn't there before - then you can raise hell.

Personally if I were to keep the bike I'd much rather have a X$ credit towards the next service/parts purchase. If you are going to own the bike for a while and riding it more than just your local Starbucks it's going to get scratched up anyway and those tiny little marks won't even be noticeable.
  7. gbtw

gbtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you bought a adv bike to take offroad and ride trough rought terrain and you are woried about scratches

:rofl
  8. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "I took my new '12 F 800 GS in to the local dealership for some minor service—an installation of some accessory lights—(<1600 miles, pristine) and it was returned with the obvious "tool marks"/scratches on the fairing (see pics below). These were DEFINITELY not on the bike when I dropped the bike off for service. Any suggestions on gauging my response to the dealership? I know that my GS will get scratched up in the future, but I kind of wanted to be the one to do the damage"

Be aware that any repair short of ordering a new plastic will likely look as bad as the scratches. I don't know how you could prove the dealer did it even if you noticed it before taking the bike home. If the dealer values your relationship he will do something for you to ease the pain. GH
  9. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    You should trade it in on a Hurley.:norton
  10. gsyogi

gsyogi Seeker

Oddometer:
    NOT worried ... I think it is a matter of principle!? I will see what happens next week ...
  11. JGoody

JGoody Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the touchup not working. Mine came with one tiny scratch near a fastener (which I didn't notice when I picked up the bike-- too excited) which was touched up. It does bug me but now a year out it would be pretty weird to bring it up. I agree -- I like to F it up myself! Somehow it's more forgivable when I do it.
  12. docsherlock

docsherlock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BS - I'd make 'em fix it and that means they pony up for new plastic, so be it.

The tech took a short cut and did not take the tupperware off before doing the wrenching. BMW dealers charge premium rates and should not be doing shoddy work like this.

Yes, Adv bikes get scratched - but it should be the owner that does it, not the dealer.
  13. STVO

STVO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, if they choose to deny it, i'll come down to your word against their's. Wish you luck with it though, that sort of thing always leaves a sour taste in your mouth.
  14. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    +1. The longer you wait the less chance you have to proove their responsability.
  15. texci77

texci77 Adventurer

Oddometer:

This is exactly right, its not the fact that it got scratched, its the fact that is got scratched for $100 an hour. If I want my bike scratched I would do the work on it myself.
  16. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. As a counter-example I took a wheel into a local independent to get a tire mounted because I didn't have time to do it myself before I left on a trip. When I went to pick it up, he said "terribly sorry, I put a little nick in your rim, so no charge, and I touched it up for you (it's black)". I just laughed and asked him how he decided which nick was his and which of the other dozen were mine :lol3

I argued about paying him since he's a small one-person shop, but he wouldn't take a nickel. That was the first time I'd used him, and I've given him repeat business, and will continue to do so. I couldn't have cared less about a little nick on a battered rim, but the fact that he owned up to it up front spoke volumes about his character.

A BMW dealer charging big $$ should not be scratching things on a new expensive bike, and when they do, they should own up to it and make it right. If they don't, it says a lot about the quality of their workmanship. You have to wonder how good a job they're doing on the parts that really matter.
  17. gsyogi

gsyogi Seeker

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more (same goes for what texci77 said) ... that's how you are supposed to do business! The "[y]ou have to wonder how good a job they're doing on the parts that really matter" is the thing that bugs me most!
  18. EPMD

EPMD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't do anything more than tell them those scratches weren't there before I brought the bike in, and that I am 100 percent certain they got there while the bike was in their shop.

And then I would also say, "I don't really care about these measly little scratches on a bike that I ride off road anyway, but you might want to let your guys know to take extra care since there are a few BMW owners who might flip out and write about it on widely read motorcycle forums."
  19. biodieselandon

biodieselandon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dealership always takes pictures of my bike from every angle before servicing. Now I see why :D
  20. Kaw4Life

Kaw4Life Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do yourself a favor and let it go.

Seriously