Come out of the closet! Honda Trail 90/110

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by weimarshats, Feb 23, 2008.

1. weimarshats

weimarshats Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I need to learn to search better, can't find any threads for awsome Honda trail 90/110. Are they too old? Too small? Too foo foo? I have a several different bikes now, and have owned dozens, evertime I ride this little Honda it puts a smile on my face. Thinking about taking a few overnight camping/trail riding trips in the Sierra's this summer. There must be a few of you ADVriders willing to come out of closet! Let me here from you.

P.S. If to shy send me a pm
    Dixon likes this.
  2. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it does. Those things were first bikes for an awful lot of people.

My first bike was a CT125 (a.k.a. TRAIL 125), which was really just an XL125 with a comfy seat. This is me with that bike, 30 years ago. Note the Hooker Header downpipe (my first 'mod')...

[​IMG]

But don't be shy about taking one of those little bikes on a trail riding and camping trip. They'll do a better job of that than most big adventure bikes will, I assure you.

:thumb
  3. optopilot

optopilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I learned to ride on a tote goat. (or was it tote gote?). Anyway; my 1st motorcycle was a 1968 Trail 90. I was 13 and bought it used for $225. It was in mint condition. It did double duty as my bike and we used it on the family ranch. When I "moved up" to a Hodaka 100 my dad bought it from me to supplement the "ranch stable". But I never will forget the great times I had on that Trail 90. I'm riding a DRZ 400 now and there are trails I long for that Trail 90. They will go almost anywhere with that quick change low/hi range gearbox. Not to forget that low seat, step thru, and 180 lb weight.
  4. error cooled

error cooled anything but asphalt

Oddometer:
    I own two a 78 and 79, the last years of the CT90's- and intend on keeping them forever. I also have 2 parts bikes to keep them running but really these bikes are bullet proof. And any part you could ever need to keep them running is still available at DRATV.com.

Here they are:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife owns a '72 trail 90, but she never rides it. I ride it a little.

I ran across a guy on one a few years back in the Ozarks. He was from out of state. After I left, I started figuring out what he had told me. To get from where he said he'd been to where I saw him had to be about 300 miles in one day. Ironbutt indeed.
    The 90 is what it is. I would love to ride one on a long trip if I had the time. Strap all your stuff on it and go. Have fun and send pics.

When gas hit 50 cents Grandpa bought one and rode it to work. He was 6'3".
  6. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    There are quite a few threads on them in Battle Scooters.

No one can seem to agree on whether they're scooters or proper motorcycles. I lean toward the latter (of course, there's one in my shed). :deal
  7. Oly

Oly Deadlines whooshing by

Oddometer:
    I have three.
    I first bought the '69 then found a '79 for very little $ and finally picked up a fixer '72 that I rebuilt.

Here is what started the obsession. :lol3

[​IMG]
  8. error cooled

error cooled anything but asphalt

Oddometer:
    The all chrome tail pipe on a late body is a big deal. Nice bike! :clap
  9. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Trail 90 was my first motorcycle.Mine was, I believe, a 1965 &1/2.It was the first model with the dual range trans.A friend of mine had the earlier model with the quick change rear sprockets.Those were a pretty cool setup too.

Jon
  10. KenR

KenR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ours sat in my Grandfathers shed for 28 years, untouched. We dug it out a few years ago, cleaned it up and it's served as our trusty and very fun pit bike since then. Always gets a lot of comments at the race track.

[​IMG]
  11. weimarshats

weimarshats Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pics, I am getting my motivation up. Any pics out there with Trail 90 loaded up for ADVenture? I'm making up some bag mounts to hang off the rear rack as I am not sure can get enough stuff on just the rear rack for camping gear and tools etc... Will try one overnight trip as soon as enough snow melts, probably head out in area above I 80 at Eagle Lakes area and work my way north. Lots of streams and small mountain lakes with fish!

thanks tom
  12. nofate

nofate what blackflies?

Oddometer:
    Honda Trail 90 was my first bike. I was 13 at the time. My dad made me a deal. I had to work at his sawmill all summer and he would buy me a motorcycle. It was long hard work on that jack ladder and at the end of August dad brought home a new CT90. I had my heart set on a Suzuki 125 like my buddy had and I learned to drive on, but oh well. I had lots of fun on that bike. Used the big rear sprocket most of the time. The gas tank leaked right onto the motor. One time it caught fire as I was driving it by a lake so I drove it right into the water. Lucky it didn't blow up.

My brother is sitting on the CT90 and I'm on the Suzuki. Circa 1965.
    [​IMG]
  13. 650x

650x Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ran into these two Trail Hondas last summer while riding the Magruder road in Idaho. The red bike was actually a 110. The yellow Trail 90 looked just like the one I had as a kid. Mine was a 1971 and assume this one is of that vintage. I would say they were loaded for ADVenture.

[​IMG]

The rider of the yellow 90 is the large fellow in the center of the picture with his hand in his pocket. The old Honda Trail 90 can really pack a load. I don't remember their whole story, but they were on a several day long ride.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps you plan your own trip.
  14. rhino_343

rhino_343 Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    Mate they are the flavour of the month down here in Aussie. They are called Postie Bikes (because Australia Post uses them to deliver the mail) but there are many an adventure concoured upon them... check this out across the outback:

[​IMG]

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=6s0GAKuc_Is
    or search YouTube for "Postie Bikes" and you will be rewarded for your troubles! :deal
  15. rhino_343

rhino_343 Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
  16. tomatocity

tomatocity Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer:
    Memories of high school in the mid sixties. Makes mw think about a new (renew) commuter.
  17. demons_taipan11

demons_taipan11 n00b

Oddometer:
    hey all,
    These bikes Rock!
    I just bought an 2003 CT110.
    i love these bikes but when stock they bore me, anyone got any ideas to modify these, not only for speed but looks??? cheers!
  18. nofate

nofate what blackflies?

Oddometer:
    They are what they are. If you want a faster better looking bike...buy a faster better looking bike.
  19. Silver King

Silver King Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer:
    The Trails are awesome! They go for big bucks around here. Up to $1500 for a decent runner.
  20. Got2Moto

Got2Moto Got2MotoGraphics

Oddometer: