adventure headlight dual 4" HID light swap

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by LAYNFRM, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    I think the dual projectors might be the bee's. My experience with both LED and HID wasn't too great, and I went back to the stock "candle in the wind" headlight...and stay home after dark.
  2. GrenDesb

GrenDesb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650327&highlight=projector

But pics are all gone. :becca
  3. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
  4. GrenDesb

Oddometer:
    A pic I found while googling.

[​IMG]

Looks like one of thoses projector retrofit kits.
  5. LAYNFRM

LAYNFRM slightly tarded

Oddometer:

concurred. we had our 42" LED bar, 22" amber LED bar, two 8" 70 watt KC HIDs, two WARN 4" 40 watt HIDs. we weren't hitting 95, but the terrain made us wish we had a tall pole on the racecar holding lights pointing down to fill in the voids and hit the real far stuff.
  6. alpo996

alpo996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Umm, I'm the one who did the dual hella lights. I'll see if I can get the pics to load up. If you have the dough, the way to go is the bi-xenon for lo/hi and another separate hi. I went with the bi-halogen and an HID kit for it and as expected the beam pattern on low is not the greatest. Certainly much better than stock but could be better. On high the cutoff shield is raised and you have instant HID which is fantastic. Also the hi lamp HID kicks in and in a few seconds it's marvelous! My plan is to get LEDs to augment low beam spread. I put a small switch in the left switch housing to interrupt power when I don't need the light on but tail and position lights still come on with the key. Happy with it overall.
  7. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
  8. mydlo

mydlo Yup.

Oddometer:
    That retrofit looks like it was done using the Morimoto Mini H1 (same retrofit that was used in the video posted by Tafella).

You can get a single D2S kit from theretrofitsource.com (http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=927). This kit installs the same way as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3p5jedQcjg&list=UUvRflQco2iLsx-eiSo7gIHg&index=8&feature=plcp - posted by Tafella.

These are interesting, I've always wanted to do a HID projector retrofit, but have always been nervous about the actual mounting. This design solves that problem...as long as the headlight bucket is strong enough to cope with the added stress of a projector dangling from it.

I may have to give this a try...
  9. Mttodd

Mttodd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alpo, I would really like to see that setup. Sounds perfect.
  10. alpo996

alpo996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is a quick pic. I'll try to load the others tomorrow when I can get to them.

Attached Files:

11. Narsisco Lopez

Oddometer:

Got this site bookmarked now... this just might be the next project... thanks!
  12. MrSandman818

MrSandman818 INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer:
    That's looking really stellar dude! I can't way to hear and see how it works at night.
  13. alpo996

alpo996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    superhak31 likes this.
  14. GrenDesb

Oddometer:
  15. pchGS

pchGS Mark

Oddometer:
    DAMIT Guys, ANOTHER mod??? Did a similar project on my old TLR and this is the bomb... Add another tone to THE list.
    :clap
  16. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
  17. Narsisco Lopez

Oddometer:

Set oven to 200 degrees, bake your housing for about 6 minutes, remove (wearing gloves!).. silicone should now be liquid.

Here's a full vid...

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3p5jedQcjg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3p5jedQcjg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  18. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:

Aha! good thinking. I did not think of that when I tried to pop mine off several years ago. As it was an extra light at that point I just went ahead and cut the back housing off as I only wanted the lens. But...in the future I will remember the oven trick. Thanks :clap
  19. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Glues vary. . . . I just separated the headlight lens tonight, it took a few tries for 10 min at about 275 degrees, and plenty of prying to get the glue to soften and the headlight to come apart. The H1 projectors seem to fit behind the lens just fine, I won't have much time to work on it tonight though.
  20. EdGear

EdGear Edventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys seem pretty far along, here are some other suggestions.

The 690 Duke has twin under/over projector beams so there may be oem brackets and projectors you could start from.

KTM Twins has the Rally Raid faring link

Or Touratech has the whole set up Link

I lucked into a bike all set up
    [​IMG]