On The Road Healthy Eating

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by dakardad, Feb 8, 2011.

1. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:

She figured I had enough points saved. :D
  2. tomatocity

tomatocity Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer:
    Darn, I want to camp with ya'll. :D
  3. Savoir-Faire

Savoir-Faire Powered by Hate

Oddometer:
    I demand we revive this thread from the dead!
  4. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    I made this at home a week or so ago and figured it would work as a camp meal as long as you have a grocery store not too far away.
    Also not the healthiest, but better than prepackaged crap.

Pick up a dozen or so jumbo shrimp, some chipolte bbq sauce, toothpicks or skewers, minute brown rice and a package of bacon.

Cook half the bacon in your mess kit until it is mostly cooked but still plyable.

Soak the skewers in water if your using them while you clean the shrimp and cook the bacon.

Then wrap the shrimp with the bacon using the toothpicks (or skewers) and baste with the bbq sauce while cooking over your camp fire.

Serve on rice and save the rest of the bacon for breakfast!
  5. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    um
  6. Aussie Moose

Aussie Moose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All

One of my favourite meals is to cook up some rice, Take a can of red salmon, add to this fresh lemon juice and stir in. At same time breaking up salmon.
    Add a small tin of corn kernels, and a small tin of 5 bean mix. It does not look good but at the end off the day is great.

Cheers

Aussie Moose
    DavidM1 likes this.
  7. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yum
  8. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the ideas in this thread as "road food" is something I struggle with - finding the balance of money vs time saved, packing light vs packing everything needed for cooking and cleanup, etc. Added to this is allergies to eggs, dairy, wheat, and beef.
  9. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    This is a good idea for a thread and, regardless of where you put it, has likely served the needs of many lurkers like myself.

Eating healthy certainly means different things to different people and, depending on your health issues, requires a different slant on things.

If you eat most of your moto trip meals in a fast food joint, then switching to Subway is an improvement. And improving is always better than the alternative. So I applaud each contributor.

The biggest help for me was simply to be reminded that eating a more nutritious meal can be done and made a reasonable part of an extended trip. There were good tips for the folks that (like me) simply get on and ride and, as my grandfather used to say about my daddy on trips "won't stop until the gas tank falls out." There were also good tips for the folks that (like I want to be) like to camp and cook and make that as much a part of the trip as the riding part.

It sounds like no matter what camp you're in, that thinking through your meal options ahead of time is the most important part of the process. Then you just act upon the plans that you've made.

As the eating lifestyle plan that Mrs. Liberia and I use states, "feel free to go off program for 3 out of every 21 weekly meals - no one can eat perfectly all the time."

Thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute. I hope there will be more to come.
  10. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey n00b

Oddometer:
    This was really good reading ... so let me share my 2 cents worth.
    I was once a guest on a 50 mile canoe ride down the Platt River in Nebraska with some boy scouts. Something happened and one of the meals had some cooking utensils missing as well as the pots and pans.
    So I made a suggestion of taking all the veggies and cutting them up into small pieces, taking the ground meat and some tin foil (aluminum) and double wrapping the meat and veggies, after putting in some water into the double wrapped aluminum foil. And then throwing things into the coals of the camp fire to cook.
    It was a meal the scouts learned that evening from a non-scout guy, but I had camped most of my life.
    Now granted there were 40 scouts (kids) eating ... not something that a single or a group of motorcycle riders might need. But as I learned in the armed service, when in doubt .... improvise.

Oh, when cooking ... I use Morton Nature's Seasons ... in place of normal salt and pepper. It has no MSG in it. Makes things just taste better.

FM
  11. kermitridesagain

kermitridesagain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    stir fry has got to be and with lots of veg healthy
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  12. kermitridesagain

kermitridesagain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    vital if you live off a bike for a year or more
  13. zipweee

zipweee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    should be some way to cook with engine heat. wrap food in foil, stuff on engine somewhere, get to camp at dark, crack open booze and your hot engine meal, listen to crickets.
    Clem Fandango and ChicoProf like this.
  14. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Fit one of these to your bike.
    http://muffpots.com

--mark
  15. zipweee

zipweee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what does that exhaust cooker look like on a motorcycle? You could probably strap a couple of wiener dogs to the exhaust with bailing wire. But what about broccoli, yellow peppers and mushrooms roasted in coconut oil dripping onto my rear tire and attracting bears? Need self contained cylinder tube like thing.