Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    So, what is a good, light replacement front disc rotor to fit to a 1987 600.
    Didn't realise how heavy the oem disc is.
  2. R_Rick

R_Rick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Crash,

Nice to see another Bluenoser with an 87. If you're in need of shop manuals (honda and haynes) let me know and I'll drop a copy onto cd/flash drive for you.
    cheers,

Rick
  3. Ruan

Ruan Adventurer to be

Oddometer:
    Bought mine like this in may 2012:

[​IMG]

Now it has crash bars and adventure lights:

[​IMG]

Adventure lights on:

[​IMG]

Gps and camera bracket:

[​IMG]

Side cases bracket (with friend's cases)

[​IMG]
  4. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Nice Ruan....best model and paint of the entire TA line IMHO.
  5. Crash48

Crash48 Secular Lord

Oddometer:
    That would be greatly appreciated Rick... I sent you my contact info through the Transalp forum email but will repeat the process from here.
  6. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    With replacement Transalp plastics no longer available from Honda, the Givi TN363 crash bars are a fairly inexpensive, must have accessory for any TA. Accidents do happen and you will cuss and kick yourself if your precious plastics get crunched because you balked at spending a little money to protect them.

http://www.sporttour.com/shopexd.asp?id=2568
  7. Ruan

Ruan Adventurer to be

Oddometer:
    Thanks...:freaky
  8. wide

wide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like those little lights with big power, where did you get them from
  9. Ruan

Ruan Adventurer to be

Oddometer:
  10. Crash48

Crash48 Secular Lord

Oddometer:
    Wow only $113... description says 1989 - 93 - will it bolt right on to the '87? (edit: I see in a previous post that it works with a longer bolt from hardware store)
  11. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:

Easy Ray easy thems is some big words:wink:
  12. JBMorse

JBMorse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody have an opinion on this? One of my only gripes with living with the Transalp is its somewhat weak brakes. I was planning to swap the front brake lines for a stainless one, which was a significant improvement on my CB500/4. The rear drum is just a lost cause I think. I put in some grooved EBC shoes but they aren't much better than the originals. It would help if I corrected the linkage action to the rear brake ( my Alp was once crashed and the left footpeg bracket is slightly skewed, causing the rear brake linkage to be out of whack.)
    EBC seems to have a replacement disc, but I can't tell whether it's just an OEM replacement or an upgraded design. If it is an upgraded disc, what pads would be good with it?
    Thanks!

Edit: Here's the EBC disc I mentioned:
    http://www.jcmotors.com/p-28324-ebc...nda-transalp-xl-600-v-89-90.aspx#.UI5_aK6FKwo
  13. Motoswami

Motoswami Motoswami

Oddometer:
    Those wishing to make an inexpensive front brake improvement may benefit from knowing that the 1989-1990 HawkGT front rotor is 315mm in diameter and bolts directly to the Transalp front hub of the same years.

An adapter to relocate the caliper must be machined. I took the parts to a local machine shop and had no trouble having one fabricated from aluminum.

The Hawk rotor can be found used for a reasonable price.

Well worth the expense in performance upgrade.

Pete
  14. ferretface

ferretface Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1

I fitted the Lenac adapter to mine and it has improved the braking mucho!

I'm not sure if they are still available but there might be another manufacturer that sells them....someone on here should be able to advise.....
  15. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    M.A.P Engineering in Colorado Springs sells the adapter.

http://www.map-engineering.com/prod...er&PHPSESSID=80584141fe5362a25e46eea58f2e0177

Pretty sure he originally designed it and the Lenac one was a take off from his (sorry I didn't know that until after I bought the Lenac kit). The page lists the disks it works with and if you contact him he might be able to source one. The adapter/rotor change along w/ SS lines made a significant difference in braking on my TA.
  16. R_Rick

R_Rick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Prior to buying engine guards, I checked various websites and found some fairly low prices, however, due to bulk of them, freight costs (from US to Can, and from West Can to East Can) pushed the total price up to $150+. I ended up ordering them through ProCycle for, IIRC, around $155ish.

You are correct, long bolt that comes with kit will not work on the 87. Not being able to find a metric bolt, I went with a 5 1/2 long, 5/16" (5 1/4" long would have worked as well). You may need to ratchet the lower sections in place to get lined up with the bolt holes.
  17. Crash48

Crash48 Secular Lord

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rick... I read your engine guard installation report - hope you had a few beer afterward.

Motorcycle Superstore has the engine guards in stock if anyone else is looking.
    $113 incl shipping to the lower 48... $160 incl shipping, duty and taxes to Upper Canuckstan.
  18. Blackbert

Blackbert Factory Rambler

Oddometer:
    I'll have to look for the paperwork, but from IIRC, something like 400€ (basic shock, no remote preload adjuster or other add-ons that make it more expensive. Got it from these guys.

I'm close to Antwerp, across the river ;-)
  19. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    I saw this picture over on TA.org I thought it was worth pasting over here. I am looking into LED auxillary lights I need more light at night. I was thinking I would just hang them from the crash bars but this picture has me thinking.

Notice the LED auxillary lights mounted in the stock blinker holes and small stalk type LED blinkers mounted off the fairing. Yes it looks like a hole has to be drilled in the fairing but Im not planning on selling my TA for a long time so its my bike my customization.

The other LED light solution I have been looking into is mounting a bar/bank/bunch of high tech super duper LED lights in the stock head light area but finding a suitable size and shape has been tricky not to mention pricey once you start putting a bank of LED lights together in one unit. Or two seperate rows of 4-6 LEDs that way there is a high and low function still.

[​IMG]
  20. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    I've searched here and can't figure out what I need to sync the carbs on my transalp. Something to screw into the heads? or something like that. What's the scoop?