Does this arrow-pointing GPS exist?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Michelangelo, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    Ok so it's an ICON squid movie. But it's entertaining. Even more it shows the bike with a really slick GPS screen that uses and arrow to point the direction to the next waypoint or destination. Does anyone know if this actually exists (not I don't mean your I-phone's navigator app or GPS app)? I mean, how cool and easy to have an LCD screen with a large arrow directing you to each direction as programmed/connected to your GPS or roadbook!

Maybe someone can build an app for this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvYAcJOx3s&feature=youtu.be
  2. Riot

Riot Tiger Rider

Oddometer:

TomTom Rider you can set up to display next turn guidance only and no streets.

Most gps's can support direction to waypoint type guidence.
  3. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    My old Garmin eMaps did that as did my Garmin 60cx. (I used them that way on my airplane.) I think my Zumo 660 can do that in off-road mode but haven't tried it.

..Tom
  4. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do that with my Android all the time. Too bad you ruled that out.
  5. jprovence

jprovence Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    compass page on pretty much any trail/hiking/marine GPS?

[​IMG]

Even my ancient GPS12 had that...
    [​IMG]

Also had a neat direction "tape" on the trip computer page that I miss on my 60.
    [​IMG]
  7. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same my Delorme. I can have the arrows (up to 3) pointing to my next turn, my next waypoint, destination, whatever.

worwig, what app are you using with an android phone to do that? So far, Google maps and a few other free ones I've tried haven't been very good.
  8. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    Yes thank you for the replies. Problem with normal GPS arrow is that they are SO freakin small and very difficult to read. I'm looking for a larger LCD or other type screen that will show only the arrow like the Triumph in the video. If there's an app or program that will allow an attachment of a standalone high visibility screen, that would be the ticket!
  9. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Do you have a GPS?
    My eyesight is not good and glasses do not help but I can see the directional arrow easily. But that is not the way to navigate on the road IMO.
    Oh, I see, you want a big screen so you can see where all the roads go. That may work fine in the movies but while riding; you do not have time to be studying maps.
    With auto routing I can actually spiral in on my target if I am so inclined. The unit lets me know within seconds, at a glance, if the road I have chosen can get me to my target.:D
    I find this a lot of fun to ride with.
  10. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    I wondered the same thing after viewing the same video. I've even ask several others to see if they could identify the product, no luck! It is pretty cool! Looks as if it's part of a Dakar type of set up.
  11. Michelangelo

Oddometer:

No. I don't want to see the roads on the "arrow screen". I can look at the normal GPS screen for that. I want the arrow screen to simply point to where my next waypoint/destination is.
  12. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    I suppose I need to see the movie because my Zumo can do that without any issues for me:evil
  13. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    Ok sooo here are some big screen GPS units.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2568633

http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/Bimggarmin-nuvi-1450lmt-gps-device.JPG

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20080109/tomtom-rider-motorcycle-gps-navitation/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321043014622

Does anyone know if they have features where you can program multiple waypoints/destinations and have them go from one to the next to the next? And...if you can select the screen to show simply an arrow without the multiple routes, but just an arrow?
  14. chrise2469

chrise2469 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I figured it was some type of digital rally map. Found out the map rollers are called roadbook holders.

Another search found for digital roadbook came up with this, not the same as the video but similar.
    http://www.mapsman.com/store/product.php?id=734
    Expensive, not for KLR use :D

You can now google more effectively at your leisure to find the on in the video.
  15. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    :deal

With my Delorme, I can set it to show nothing but the compass and the arrow on the screen.

If I want, I can add distance or a name or such below it.
  16. jprovence

jprovence Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its a 5" screen. The biggest "normal GPS".

[​IMG]

That arrow big enough?
  17. Jarno123

Jarno123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This might be really stupid, so have a laugh at me, once you're done please answer this.
    The big arrow, what does that point to? Your next waypoint/road/whatever or does it point to the direction your taking?
    As far as I know, every compass has an arrow like that to which points to the direction you're traveling to. So how about this one?
  18. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    No that is a good question. I too would suspect or at least would WANT the arrow to point to the waypoint or direction I SHOULD be going, not to the direction I'm heading.
  19. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that's a Trippy Digital Road Book
  20. ProZac235

ProZac235 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No info on the GPS but that was a very entertaining video