Middle Tennessee DS Ride Schedule Q2 2010

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by codyrides, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    REALLY?!?!? Now I'm really excited cuz I had a blast on our little run! Going to have to get some better tires on Godzilla cuz pinching pennies trying to wear out my Perelli Skorpions is going to end up costing me $$$$ in damages (actually it already has) to my bike from trying to off road a street tire.

Here are the first two videos I've got up on Youtube from our ride. I didn't take any still shots as I don't know how to post them. I have a hard time with anything more complicated than a hammer or shovel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGk3i5vj3Ao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0WuU8zYUYs

I'll post all the footage I have thats any good of our ride on Youtube but, my Gopro houseing condensed moisture inside it right in front of the lens. A large portion of our ride is just too blurry to post but, I did notice the problem & wipe it up so I got some footage towards the end that was good as well.
  2. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Nice Vids Barry!

I too will be getting more agressive tires soon. I liked the SR244 on my old bike, I think I'll probably give those a whirl again.
  3. ihatefalling

ihatefalling Let it roll

Oddometer:
    Been watching ya'll vids.
    Looks like some good fun riding.
    TJ650 - Hopefully you can play tour guide again once it warms up a touch :D
  4. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is fun, and there is nothing too tough. A full grown ADV bike can travel 90% of roads, and probably 100% if it has a chance to dry out.

If we talk real nice to, or maybe threaten, SandalScout, I'll bet we would put together a weekend based out of Energy Lake. Big bikes, little bikes, FJ's (RTL) It could be an epic weekend. I have threatened to get something together for a couple of years, but I'm just too lazy....I mean..., busy, to set a date.

We did not make it to the North end (because some JACKASS decided to run over a piece of BARBWIRE) but I feel like there is much more riding up there. Treemuncher had a great route laid out. Wal-Spikes first video is the warm-up on a Lake Barkley high speed dirt road. The first non-paved LBL road we hit was a great opener. I've been on it a few times before, but this was the first it was open all the way through.

Oh yea, one of the roads just North of Piney Campground has been freshly paved. If you have a street bike, GET THERE! :ricky That's all I have to say about that. Trust me!
  5. treemuncher

treemuncher Vegetation Terrorist

Oddometer:
    Troy,

You and the other inmates have been invited to FerrySTOC4 as I mentioned on this past weekend's ride. Like I said, it would be nice to have a showing of the ADV guys attend this year's event. You do NOT need to ride a sport touring bike to attend. I would like to offer some mixed ADV style rides for the big bore ADV bikes as well as the sport touring loops. A RTE will be held at Lambert's Throwed Rolls in Sikeston, MO again this year as last year's reviews were a hit.

The link to the event is here: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?123002-FerrySTOC-4-May-16-19-2013-Paris-Landing-SP-TN

All I ask is that anyone wanting to attend signs up on that site's attendee list. You get FREE camping for doing so!

Camping is provided by the Paris Landing Tourism League and all we ask is that you try to make your purchases local when in the area.

If this coming Sunday is nice enough, I might be up for another ride. I would be interested in doing a ride down into Houston Co and then cross the ferry over to Benton Co. I'm thinking that it would be a good ride for the Tenere and similar bikes. No single track but plenty of gravel roads that I can put us on.
  6. Spinnit man

Spinnit man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Treemuncher, keep me posted I may be up for getting the GS out this Sunday if it warms up a little.:wink:
  7. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Troy, either you're completely writing me off of two wheels cause my bike is "too purdy", or just want/need a packrat/sag wagon. But you're right. Either rig would be a blast (and I could carrry all the beer!).

Might be in for a Sunday trek. Haven't checked the weather yet though. Might mess with my forks on Sat (new springs/heavier oil), shake-down on Sunday. If a middle heavyweight is suitable.
  8. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb (also, we'll need something to drag all the wrecked bikes back to the campsite. hehehe....)

OK, we've got March Moto Madness soon, and FerrySTOC in May (my fingers are crossed for that one, TM), is early April too soon? Is June too late? I'd like to get both bikes there and switch between the two.

I like riding the V- at LBL, when it's dry. I've said it before, if it hits the ground you'll find me in the corner sobbing like a bride left at the alter. The DRZ was built for running hard and knows how to fall down and get back up with little or no damage. The V-Strom could cost $200-$300 in repairs just for bumping into a tree. It ain't as tough as that 800 for tumbling down a fencerow. :D
  9. Kev95GS

Kev95GS goob

Oddometer:
    :ear

I wanna ride LBL. Heading to Big Bend next weekend and MMM taking my time until it's over from there, but after that I'd like to get in on this. Missed it last weekend. bummer.
  10. ihatefalling

ihatefalling Let it roll

Oddometer:
    The dog was outside barking his head off . . . . . yuck

[​IMG]
  11. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    LBL is fun. Been up there a couple of times by myself getting lost and finding some pretty cool area's. Never been up there with anyone in the know.
  12. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Following Troy or TreeMuncher is even better!

Troy, I think late April or Early June could be just about perfect and should work around other events. I've got a few things going on in April and June that will put we out of state for a week in each month, but let's get something rolling!

Randy, I'm going to try to make it to FerrySTOC 4. Doesn't look like there is much reason I can't, unless something comes up at work! Looks fun!
  13. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    Thats one ugly dog.
  14. ihatefalling

ihatefalling Let it roll

Oddometer:
  15. Kev95GS

Kev95GS goob

Oddometer:
    He looks like he's got some LED lights on his undercarriage. :lol3
  16. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IHF has all of the high-tech options :nod
  17. Kev95GS

Kev95GS goob

Oddometer:
    ... and his pets. :huh
  18. Spinnit man

Oddometer:
    Any body have every tried a shinko 705, 150/70/17, fits GS 1200 sells for 87.99 on Rocky mountain atv Looks good and reviews are good, considered the Anakee 2, and the Metzeler MCE both are about twice the money of the 705. Some times you get what you pay for , just thinkin out loud here. :deal
  19. Spinnit man

Oddometer:
    Hey TM, gonna be around 60 on Monday, might be able to get away, I'm just sayin ! ! ! :deal
  20. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    I have a Shinko 705 130/80/17 on my bike currently. It's not the greatest when running stuff like we did this last weekend, BUT for running gravel/fast packed dirt/pavement, I have been extremely happy with them. They are long lasting, stable, and predictable. I probably ride my KLR only slightly more aggressive than you ride the GS (just a guess) and I think it'd be a great fit for the GS.