Condo 750 2014

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nry, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Kiwi Ian

Kiwi Ian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I will probably give it another go as well. Look forward to meeting some of you guys this time.

I am looking at selling my manual F2R roadbook if anybody is interested. It was okay for a first go but think the electric ones may help me a bit more this time round.

Did any of you guys use the electric ones? Just wondering how they went and what types were used. There's a TT one for sale on the Flea market for $400 which I am thinking about.

Ian
  2. sequent

sequent South Australia's own....

Oddometer:
    Can't comment about the TT ones, but I ran an F2R electric (730 model) in two Safaris and this year's Condo, and it never missed a beat - I'd highly recommend them, but also note that most people use the MD roadblocks, and so you'll need to bring your own spare rings etc, as you may not be able to scab parts off other people.
  3. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    avoid the TT ones the gears jam and the electrics go, MD or F2R are best
  4. Kiwi Ian

Kiwi Ian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, looks like I can get the F2R ones from RR for close to $400 anyway. I will do some searching and see if I can get one locally.
  5. sequent

sequent South Australia's own....

Oddometer:
    Try Rally Management Services in the US (they can put a nav package together too) or go direct to the F2R website and buy it from the manufacturer. I've done that a few times and always found their service great.
  6. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep, by far the best price I found for the f2r was on their website.
  7. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I was going to get a manual one because I doubt I'll get to use it after Condo and can't really justify the outlay for an electric one if I'm only using it once.
  8. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another thumbs up for dealing with f2r directly. When i bought mine he had the offer of a discount if three or more were purchased. Might be worth seeing if anyone else wants to buy at the same time.
  9. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you going to be using said f2r next year Mr Gany? Time to take it out of the wrapping I think :wink:
  10. Kiwi Ian

Kiwi Ian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean but if I had just bought the electric one last year I wouldn't now be losing money selling a manual one. If I could sort out a few of the problems I would stick to what I have. The biggest problem was that it would creep forward. This may have been because the bracket was a bit flimsy. I would have to wind it backwards for ages to counter it and then it would bind up.

The actual winding wasn't a problem because mostly you could pick smoother places to wind it on. If it was rough and I needed to advance it I would rest my forearm on the bars to wind it. (maybe I should spend my money on a steering dampner instead)

I would like to go out and experiment with roll sizes and what have you but I came off my bike on Saturday and have broken a bone in my hand so will be in plaster for a while.

Thanks guys for the info on going through F2R directly. I got a fright when I saw the price then realised you take the VAT off. I presume it is better to go for the 750 over the 730 if I am forking out that sort of money anyway.

Ian
  11. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still haven't ridden the bike since kid #1 was born nearly two hears ago!! We shall wait and see what happens next year if i can stop blowing fuses trying to make my own roadbook remote!
  12. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
  13. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Should get a decent rhythm up by then, especially if you don't need to refuel. :1drink
  14. Looking Around

Looking Around Traveller

Oddometer:
    A few of us from down south are thinking of looking also - went last year and it was pretty good to watch and some really good spots to have a look and get some great action views.
  15. jono_785

jono_785 Adventurer

Oddometer:

wow surprised to read this! i must have been lost many times on both days!

Actually now that i think about it..... it makes sense that i probably was lost half the time :lol3

Great event! recommend to anyone thinking about it
  16. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    I reckon I must have been lost too because I can't see how a car could have gotten through a couple of those section's on the second day. One rocky section after a creek that ran along next to a fence, sloped into it also. Maybe you could get a car to fit through there. The other section was a sandy tight and twisty track that I only just had enough room to lie down in :rofl
    Must have trashed the paint :D

Can't wait to do it again !
  17. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    I reckon that stage has your name on it :D

How's the fitness training going :ear
  18. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:

:lol3 Badly.
  19. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    :eek1 look out coming into Christmas with all those bbq's :wink:
  20. GTinAus

GTinAus nutsplitter

Oddometer:
    Well. just got back from Condo, after spending 3 days route charting.

Have One day on paper (day 1 Autos, day2 motos).

Yes we have a long section, 189.71 K's exactly.

Now here is the thing, in our wisdom, it is the last competitive stage for the bikes on Sunday.... Sting in the tail, so to speak.

We have also decided to up the refuel distance to 140 Km.

We are working on 10 K's per liter of fuel, which according to the experts, is about what the Pro's get, on 450's under competitive conditions.

BUT... if you only have a 14 liter tank, make sure you learn to ride sensibly, competitively.

I have also reviewed what is a caution. Many single cautions, that cluttered up the pages in previous years, are gone.

in general, Single caution: slow down, you may damage your vehicle, or get airborne.

Double Caution:, slow down, look and see, you WILL do damage at speed.

Triple Caution:, Slow down drastically, there is significant danger of vehicle destruction, if hit at speed.

As before, all cautions will be physically marked on the ground. The Zero's may add cautions, from single to triple, according to their discretion.

This is a navigation event, and more emphasis will be placed on navigation.

In General, my philosophy is, as regards to obstacles etc is, the Competitor is expected to read the terrain.

For example, if you are driving/riding beside a rocky hill....expect gutters and gullies, riding or driving through paddocks, there will be low stumps just off the track.

The dangerous ones, that will catch you unawares, will be marked.... but don't expect to be led by the hand.

That said, I think, terrain wise, this will rank as one of the best Condo750's ever (may have to rename it one day though, .... to something like Condo1000 :evil)