Next project in the Skunkworks

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Pezz_gs, May 1, 2011.

1. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    I have had a hankering for another motard since I sold my Duke2. I have been looking around for a bargain as $$$ are tight. I spoke to the Good Wife and we agreed that If I sold some excess components out of the shed I could do what I like as long as it was out of the sale of quality stuff aka Junk. The penny dropped shortly afterwards when she asked me if she just okayed me to buy another bike. Yep!!! I said happily :evil

I found a stunning KTM 2003 Supermoto with 7.700k's and was busy ebaying and came up about $1000 short. While still looking, I was chatting to an Inmate here and he had a DRZ400e with a blown bottom end he was parting out. I was a week late as the front end, forks & tripples, were gone, but I was welcome to take the rest. this included a new Crankshaft, high quality valves, spring kit, cam chain and engine bearings.

I went over one Saturday morning and placed the items in the back of the Disco and happily trundled off home with the booty.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Piston Barrel is Kaput so a bigbore kit will be on its way too.
    [​IMG]

I recently won a front end off ebay which came to the Skunkworks from Townsville. The Previous Owner had installed RM forks on his 2008 DRZ.
    [​IMG]

After much effort and assistance from OldDog, (Gee he's good with a big hammer, he has Nortons you know:wink:) the swingarm pivot was removed, which had seized in there pretty tightly, and the engine was removed from the frame.

I was originally aiming at a Motard, but now will get it ready for off road. So I am looking at a lot of optioons to get it sorted and back together.
    I have a leg issue and dont use the rear brake and have been cosidering a Rekluse Z-start and Left Hand rear Brake. I searched the DRZ thread and couldnt find much detail on the Rekluse on a DRZ400.

With some of the parts already supplied, I went looking for a 434cc piston kit, voila JE Piston, new Barrel and gaskets from eBay usa for $426 delivered. I will have a bit of work carried out on the head while I am fitting the new valves.
    [​IMG]

I have been watching StrummerDRZ youtube Video's yesterday :clap and Im inspired to get the DRZ ready to go exploring. I have been chatting to that bad influence SteveRED and looking at what I can get to make it much better for me.
    Achtung likes this.
  2. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    Time to survey what I have so out with the Camera.
    As it sits on the Stand, pretty grubby. I will get the Karcher onto it shortly.

[​IMG]

Well I have 2 Banana's for Radiators. I will try to source some bigger capacity Rads from the USofA. Probably work out cheaper than buy genuine stockers.

[​IMG]

Here is the 39mm Flat Slide :)

[​IMG]

Looks like the Crank may have got a little Hot!!! Good thing it came with a new one

[​IMG]

Also appears to have been some movemnet in the crank, how else can one explain this??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camshafts look to be okay, so will keep them stock. The 'E' cams are pretty good out of the box I hear.

[​IMG]

Probably the biggest challenge is going to be puting something back together that I didnt pull apart. I have the manuals and they will be getting a thorough reading!!
  3. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    So now Im researching Rekluse Z Start and left hand rear Brake.

[​IMG]

other inclusions will be a larger fuel tank, new exhaust, some racks and some of those Monster Energy Stickers . . . . NOT :huh
  4. greendude

greendude Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

dont forget your hot rods 4mm stroker kit
    takes it out to 462cc with the big bore.
    should be a fun bike when you get it together
  5. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    If I didnt have the new crank already I would have had one in there for sure. :thumb
  6. greendude

greendude Long timer

Oddometer:
    take a look at the procycle.us site if you havnt already.some good stuff there for the drz. most of the dr650 inmates shop there.
  7. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    This is gonna be good, let me know when you need some more "percussive maintenance" carried our mate :rofl
  8. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    At least its started to look like a motorcycle again Pezz. :clap:clap:clap
  9. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.

Yeah, right.

Why don't you just whinge on.

What are ya? A POM or sumfin?

:lol3

Given up on Hondas?
  10. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    Oh goodee. I love these shows.

:lurk
  11. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    Na Mate!

Its not here at present while the excess fuel evaporates out of the tank, should take about 3 months. This DRZ has been here for a little while and I need to get it moving.

BTW found a nice tasty R69S in the USofA and am looking at ways I can pay for the sucker :evil
  12. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    I find it's better not to look. I always end up with that 'oooohhh, geez, that'd be nice. I'd like one of those' things rolling around in my head. It applies to dual cabs, table top utes, camper trailers, Triumph Speed Triples, classic Yamahas, Merlin sidecars. The list goes on.

I will, however, direct you to your sig line. See what you've got there? Mine's all but finished (no wonder I've got no cash). Where is yours?
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    In post 2, the crank photos, is that a Mitsubishi logo? :eek1
  14. buckscreek

buckscreek AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer:
    Hey Pezz, as per the posts above, it sounds like the DRZ will be just right for you when you get it finished, that left hand brake and recluse (does this mean you're gonna withdraw from decent society??) clutch will make all the difference for your leg "issue".
  15. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:

Mitsubishi stamp on the lower half? :scratch
  16. buckscreek

buckscreek AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer:
    Mitsubishi Heavy Industries they make everything from retractable pencils to aeroplanes, not just Sigmas!
  17. dakdakdave

dakdakdave an older,wiser noob!

Oddometer:
    Hi pezz,good to see your joining the yellow terrors.I don't know about the price difference but would a clake be any cheaper?

http://www.clake.com.au/FAQ.php

just thinkin out aloud.
  18. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    Have seen the Clake but are pretty expensive at [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As at July 2008 the CLAKE retails at AUD $1180 (plus taxes if applicable).[/FONT]
    The Rekluse is much cheaper. I think the clutch take up would make iot much easier for me as I 'SIT' on the bike and extended standing isnt an option.

Once I get an R65 engine out of the Disco I will start on the head dismantling.

Ray, Sidecar is on the drawing boards :deal
    I may pass on the R69S unless I come into some additional cash.
    It was a great deal too

Joe, will be an interesting tide with Left Hand Rear Brake :evil

I also have to build up an Airhead Dirtbike for an inmate here too. That will take about 2 weeks :lol3
  19. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
  20. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    This is the Skunkworks fellas... NOTHING should surprise ANYONE...??!! :lol3

If I know Pezz, he's probably figured out a way to take an old Galant piston, machine up a new connecting rod (from some ancient Massey Ferguson stuff he has in the shed) and using an old PMU Tomato soup can as a cylinder liner, make a 483 cc kit for the DRZ...! :D:clap

As usual Perry, this will undoubtedly be another interesting and thoroughly entertaining build project... ya' mad bastard! :lol3

What's the record you're shooting for this time around... 100 feet... 200 feet... a WHOLE kilometer mebbe? :evil

:wave:smooch