HONDA TORNADO XR250 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by jimmy2020, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jimmy2020

jimmy2020 limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer:
    Unable to find a thread on this bike, I figured I will try to get one developed.
    I just purchased a Honda Tornado in Costa Rica and find limited information about these bikes. This is a model that is currently being produced in Brazil. They are a fairly popular bike for Central America and are regarded as a big bike since 125's seem to be the more common displacement here.
    Anyway, I would like to hear from any other owners of this model and share perspectives.
  2. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    what can be said about such a great bike.

i will start with the bad
    a) NOT in the USA
    b) No longer in production (I guess) for South America since a newer model (300 FI?) bike is being sold now, has not made it all the way up to Mexico..
    C) I no longer have one!

Ok the good.
    a) For the US Honda now sell a 250 that is better (I think) than the Tornado.

I had one Tornado for under a year, and rode it as much as possible. It has a 6 speed transmition, with a short first and in 6th gear you can cruise at around 65 mph all day, going up to 7Xish. The dash board has cool information, It is all metric system so you get km/hr, odometer, 2 trip meters, clock and a count down odometer (I don't know why) no gas gauche, and since it is CARB it has reserve, that you will using around 200-240 km, then 3 more liters so all in all maybe 300 kilometers per tank, and the tank has 12 liters or about 3.2 gallons.

the bike does shake a little compare to the 125 model Bros, and almost the same as the KLR. The height light that is comes with is a 35 watt POC that I change to a 55 watt and no problems with it. Suspension is ok unless you want XR Baja 1000 performance, for riding, commuting and off road is enough, so are breaks. they are ok, it comes with a front disc 240? mm and a rear drum that DOES work.

Tires are 21-18 and Metzeler saharas 3 that get loud at hwy speeds on dirt they are ok for a 50-50 tire, I even did some sandy beaches and only had a hard time in the deep sand where 4x4 is required.

Seat is high, close to 35 inches, and HARD in true MX fashion. I just put the Coleman ATV Cover and all was better and now the height is the same as the KLR but it made 300 mile days possible.

what else? 2 up is possible but I just had the KLR so I did it do it.

that is all I can remember...and yes I want another one when money allows (that was the reason I sold it to my father in law)
  3. jimmy2020

Oddometer:
    on my new 2013 Tornado. The bike performed perfectly and I found it quite comfortable to ride. I'm planning a trip in the next week or so up to Nicaragua to do some exploring. Today, I am going to a welder and have a set of removable racks fabricated for my surfboard.

I'm still breaking in the bike, so I have been pretty tame on the throttle.
    One thing that is remarkable is the fuel economy. A couple of calculations put me at 70+ miles per gallon, BTW...a gallon of fuel runs around $5.50.[​IMG]
  4. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    :yikesOMG! Say thats not orange!:puke1
  5. jimmy2020

Oddometer:
    orange
  6. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm another owner...

I'm from Argentina, and here, new Tornados are still beeing sold, I don't know if they are Brazil's leftovers or what.. I've heard that Honda was going to start to make them here, but I have my doubts...

Here's a pic of mine..

[​IMG]

I've done some smal trips with it and behaves really well..
    With stock gearing, would cruise at 100Km/h all day long. Really nice bike in all!

I think I don't need to say that I'm suscribed to the thread!
    Greetings from Argentina!
  8. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    And probably the most reliable orange bike ever made. :clap
  9. jimmy2020

Oddometer:
    nice write up....I remember reading this in the past.
  10. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    :) Great! I would love to see more pics of Argentina. (There is really not so much here on advrider, just many ride reports with not so much detail on Argentina.)

Are they selling the new CRF250L there yet? Here in South Africa, it has replaced the Tornado but it seems we still have the 230.
  11. jessepitt

jessepitt Ride More

Oddometer:
    I just went to CR with my wife in Dec. and was blown away at the number of motos in general and Dual Sports in particular. It is amazing and refreshing to see bikes treated as sensible transportation instead of just toys like is predominantly seen in the states. I looked those Tornadoes over good and they look like a real nice bike. My wife and I are thinking about doing a Spanish immersion class in Montezuma at some point and had thought about buying or renting a couple bikes for our stay. The 125 Bros would fit her perfect. To bad none of these made it to the US.
  12. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    I could show you some more pictures taken in another trips round the country.. But as for the place I live is like the US great plains, maybe a little greener than that..
    When i took that photo, I was going to the north of the province of Córdoba (my province also) to the hills, for a friend's birthday party...
    If you are interested in some pics and the creator of the thread allows me to post some.. jeje!

As for the CRF250L, it is said that it will come, but I don't really know when.. And 0Km Tornados are seen everyday round here.. It is also said that the XRE300 will come too, but I was told that it was not so good received in Brazil, so they will continue with Tornados, maybe newers will be FI.. We'll have to wait..
  13. jimmy2020

Oddometer:
    it's not surprising to see these bikes with 50,000+ kilometers on them.
  14. jimmy2020

Oddometer:
    are you referring to Keep Throwing Money
    or Know Thy Mechanic
    :lol3
  15. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    And what are bikes used for in other countries?

Here mostly small bikes, such as cubs and 125cc are used for transportation, commuting etc..

Bigger bikes like mine, are also for that in most cases, but the Tornados are used a lot for enduro, changing tyres and a few other parts..

+250cc bikes are used just for travelling and taking a little spin in sundays afternoons (Their drivers are the so called "Domingueros" here)
  16. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    NOrth America they are used for going to Starbucks! and also mainly for recreation, for weekend fun!! YEs there are some people that will put 10-20,000 miles on a bike in 1 year, but they are not the norm.

In Asia (I have been there twice, India and Indonesia) BIG motorcycles are 250cc and the rest are 50-125 cc and they are abuse to carry as much as possible, people, animals, goods and everything you can strap to the bike, no safety issues to deal with, no mandatory speeds !

Damasovi
  17. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks!

Damasovi
  18. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    This does also happen here, you can see a lot of people on small bikes doing that...
  19. jimmy2020

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am very interested in a Tornado for my next trip to SA. The police in Sonora use the Tornado and one of them let me sit on the bike, I have a problem with the seat hieght. Can any of you owners tell if the suspension can be lowered via links? The new CRF250L now has a Kouba link which lowers the bike 1 3/4" which would be good for me. Heres alink the the link! http://www.koubalink.com/CRF250L Dual Sport.html
    Do you think this suspension link is the same as on the Tornado?
    Thanks
    Cal