Would you buy it? 1977 R100rs?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by tearapin, Oct 29, 2012.

1. tearapin

tearapin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I passed on the last airhead I was considering buying due to a leak after a 30 mile ride. When I say leak I mean river and the owner would not budge on the price. $500 repair.

Now I have the opportunity to purchase another. I am not giving up the search because I find I just enjoy riding the airheads. A buddy has an R90 :D

This bike is a 1977 R100RS. Owner is asking $6.200. Mileage is 8600. It is in very good condition. I have ridden it and it does not leak. The tranny recall thing has me scared though. I will post all the details I have at the bottom of the page. In summary it can lock up and then I fear I would be like Superman flying through the air.

I would appreciate any advice on other potential problem areas and such with this particular first year model. I am good with a wrench but I think someone would have to show me how to lube splines the first time. That should give you an idea of where I am at wrench wise. Good enough to own an airhead?

As I would be paying a bit more for the bike that it is technically worth, I don't want to buy it and inherit a ton of high $ repairs down the road. I realize it is old and not bullet proof.

It seems one thing to do would be to check the diode board mounting studs. Not sure where that is yet though LOL.

Any opinions on what I may be getting into and if you would/would not purchase this bike are welcome.

Recall info follows...I am not sure if anything can be done to prevent this tranny fail or if I would just have to replace it and make an offer as such?

Thanks to all for all of your help on this board. When I do get that airhead I will try to return the favors.

1977 BMW R100RS POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION (Change Vehicle)

The following POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION recall/defect on 1977 BMW R100RS vehicles was reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety administration on 1976-10-14. For more information contact the National Highway Traffic Safety administration or the US Department of Transportation. See recall summary below.
    <table style="width:100.0%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%" border="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="width:50.0%;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in" width="50%">
    </td> <td style="width:50.0%;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in" width="50%">
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    <table style="width:100.0%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="4" width="100%" border="0"><tbody><tr> <td style="width:35.0%;padding:0in 7.5pt 0in 0in" valign="top" width="35%">
    Build Years/Makes/Models:
    </td> <td style="width:65.0%;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in" valign="top" width="65%"> 1977 BMW R757
    1977 BMW R100RS
    1977 BMW R100S
    1977 BMW R1007
    1977 BMW R60/7

</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="padding:0in 7.5pt 0in 0in" valign="top">
    UNits affected:
    </td> <td style="padding:0in 0in 0in 0in" valign="top"> 520
    Recall Number:
    </td> <td style="padding:0in 0in 0in 0in" valign="top"> 76V164000
    Summary:
    </td> <td style="padding:0in 0in 0in 0in" valign="top">
    Consequence:
    Remedy:
    Notes:
    </td> <td style="padding:0in 0in 0in 0in" valign="top"> BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE CAMPAIGN NO N/A.MOTORCYCLES.POSSIBILITY THAT AHARDENING ERROR IN THE GEARS COULD RESULT IN BREAKAGE OF THE GEAR TEETH, WHICHCOULD CAUSE SEIZURE OF THE TRANSMISSION INTERNAL GEARS.IF THIS CONDITIONEXISTS IT COULD POSSIBLY RESULT IN VEHICLE CRASH WITH NO PRIOR WARNING.(CORRECT BY INSPECTING AND INSTALLING NEW TRANSMISSION WHERE NECESSARY).
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    for 6200 dollars, it better be a damn nice, needing nothing airhead.
  3. tearapin

Oddometer:
    It is damn nice from what I can gather riding it and seeing it.
  4. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you give the VIN# to a BMW dealer, they should be able to tell if this bike was impacted by the recall, and if it was completed. If not, I'd bet they would do it now.
  6. Biebs

Biebs Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Will BMW North America honor a 35 year old recall - I think not!!!:eek1

Also at $6200 you are paying a premium so it better be 100% godd to go!!!:deal
  7. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    That looks like a post '79 or '80 to me ... Later Airbox, Snowflakes, and ATE's ... but it could be a '78 (with a later Airbox). The second picture *might* have a bit of Havana Gold peaking out ... marking it as a '78 only color ...

8. Beater

Oddometer:
    I have a friend who (two years ago) handed Blue Moon a 19" snowflake .. that had been recalled (in '79?). The bike was a '78 R80. Blue Moon took it, and had to order the new snowflake ... They received it, and then handed it to him and said, "Sorry for the inconvience."

Just sayin.

9. Hiatt

Hiatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A good friend of mine bought a 78R100S from me about 10 years ago. This year I finally got him to take a long run on it. He read about a recall related to the wheels and contacted to local dealer to inquire about it prior to the trip. The dealer had him bring in the bike and installed new wheels with tires of his choice for zero dollars. I was amazed. BMW honored the recall 34 years later 100%.

I know this to be true, so there you go.

JH
  10. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    It is defiantly a 77. Non ribbed trans case, early choke lever zip tied to a late airbox, non remote shifter, early frame..........
    It looks like some was parting out a 83-84 R80RT and took the rear fender, tail light and wheels and put them on this RS.
  11. headtube

headtube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just an example.... I paid $3,000 for a 79 RS in fair condition. It needed work of which I am presently doing. Superficial problems. Battery, clock didn't function (now does), frame was a tad rusty, engine alloy oxidized, missing a seat hinge, some incorrect fasteners, exhaust threads messed, discoloured windscreen, etc. You get the picture. Most of the work is done now after spending a few hundred $. Personally I think that amount is too much unless it is close to showroom condition.

[​IMG]
  12. jellycow

jellycow out there without a clue, now on a '99 640 AVD

Oddometer:
    With 8600 miles, it'll have been standing for a long while and the leaks will occur after 600-1000 miles. Those gaskets will have dried out and tend to hold up for a while when you start riding again and then take you by surprise.
    Not to bad a job, replacing head- foot- and oilpan gaskets plus pushrod rubbers plus carb manifolds and diagrams, but just don't be surprised when you need to.
    I wouldn't care about the gearbox, change oil (all oils anyway) and start riding the thing, those teeth are just starting to get worn in. Any good dealer will be able to tell you if the recall has been done and if you're still eligible in case it hasn't been done yet.
  13. tearapin

Oddometer:
    I guess it would not hurt to ask about the recall but I would think it is "expired" too.

I know it is a lot of money but it is a premium bike. The problem is I don't know if it is worth it. Info is proving hard to find on that tranny recall.
  14. Beater

Oddometer:
    You're definitely more knowledgable about this sort of thing ... the only way to really tell is to run the VIN. But the 77's had spokes, and an early airbox ... are you talking about the OP or the one that's referenced in the Craigs add by _cy_ ?

15. S1am

S1am Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You would be paying top dollar for low miles. This doesn't imply that the bike is problem free but, to me anyhow, this would come with the expectation that the machine is cosmetically very clean; no fairing cracks, tank dings, seat cowling edge chips, that sort of shit. Any bike that old will need mechanical work and possibly electrical work. We know these machines can be maintained for 100s of thousands of miles. What low miles implies is that the machine is less physically marred by use. You would have something that was aesthetically closer to original. Others will argue against such a purchase and point out some example of a cheaper bike on ebay or craigslist or the small town classifieds in Albania. This would not be the bike for them to purchase. Personally, once I decide on the model/year/options for this sort of purchase, I am willing to pay a premium for both low miles and a forthright knowledgeable seller. Over the long time that I like own my bikes, I rarely find myself getting all worked up about original purchase price but I do appreciate maintaining a nice original example. I don't find motorcycles to be rational purchases. This is definitely not the way everyone feels and I offer it up only as perspective worth considering.
  16. tearapin

Oddometer:
    Nice to know someone who is un-rational too. That made me laugh. :rofl
  17. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    The gray one that someone updated the wheels and tail light but left it a rear drum brake.
  18. tearapin

Oddometer:
    The bike I am looking at has the wheels shown in the pic and not spokes. I do not think these are the recalled snowflake ones but I am not sure. anyone know?

[​IMG]
  19. S1am

S1am Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those wheels are period aftermarket by a company called Lester. Some people really like them. Others complain about getting bearings in properly. I've never had trouble with bearings in them and think they lok as nice as the period factory mag wheels.
  20. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't discount the age of the recall, most likely it is already one anyway.

A GOOD dealer would honor it regardless of age.