2013 ARKANSAS 500 April 12-14

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by scotty69, Jan 25, 2013.

1. jtwest

jtwest Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer:
  2. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    Perhaps a browser issue. It sends me to Google+ and the video. Sure looks like you all had a great time in my back yard. I just need to figure out 2 things. One, how to be home next year instead of Virginia like I am now, and 2nd, how to replicate the route without gps. Perhaps I just need to buy a gps lol.

Next time we head to the preserve, think we'll have to introduce ourselves as we stop in there at least once a year when we get visitors. Didn't know there was a motorcycle connection there. As you all know now, it's a great place to visit. Bet that bear is bigger than the last time I saw him.. And then there is the caroling after feeding.... Awesome!
  3. OLEARY

OLEARY Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer:
    Started off Day 1 at Turpentine Creek headed to Mullberry Mountain with 12 of us in all. Slapped some Yammi Blue tape on the back of everyones helmet and off we went. Started off pretty cool and stayed that way until about noon. Stopped at Marble for fuel as one of the guys tank had leaked fuel out of it overnight. Got as far as the Old Hwy 412 Bridge when we realized we were missin some folk. Turned back and found the fella out of gas north of Hwy 127. Luckily I had a couple of MSR bottles of fuel in my Sweet Cheeks and that got us to Marble. Toyman came up on us as we were putting the MSR fuel in and told me there was fuel just up the hill from the bridge on Hwy 412 but we got our signals crossed and I thought he said turn left on 412 and I guess it was supposed to be right. That is how we ended up in Marble.

One of the water crossings not too far from Turpentine Creek. I must have splashed a bit when I crossed and got water on my lense. Stopped for a break and checked out the creek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next stop the bridge on the Kings River. There were a couple of canoes there floating the Kings. Not sure if they were putting in or coming out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another crossing of the Kings River at a low water bridge close to Marble.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crossed 412 and on up Madison 1500 and on to the bridge crossing War Eagle Creek. I thought this little water crossing was kinda kewl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bridge we are on is the old bridge. The new bridge on the highway is downstream.

[​IMG]

This is when we realized we were short some riders and turned back to see what the problem was. We went on to Marble for fuel after everyone caught back up and thought we might as well eat something so as not to have to stop later on. This is another creek crossing on down the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checking out the view from an clear ridge and some random photos along our route.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually we get to East Fly Gap Road and the scenic overlook. We stopped to check out the scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking down to Fly Gap Road from the scenic overlook.

[​IMG]

More scenic views from Flygap Road and some of the Blues Brothers posse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we hit Hwy 23 we headed south to Turners Bend for fuel. Most everyone headed back to the campground at Mullberry Mountain after that. Myself and three other hardy souls headed to White Rock Mountain to ride the rest of the route. Except from Turners Bend we decided to ride it backwards from White Oak Mountain Rd to Flygap and Hwy 23. To do that I had to follow a track and for some reason the track I loaded was acting up. We rode WOMR and took a left and got into some lumbering area. We got back on track and ended up riding Ragtown Road to W Fly Gap and Hwy 23. Headed to camp after we hit 23 so that is pretty much all she wrote for Day 1. Got to camp about 5:30 or so and Scotty had some pulled pork sandwiches, cold slaw, potato chips, and liquid refreshments to bring life back to some weary travelers. It was some good eatin. I have a few videos of the day so check them out.

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/old-hwy-412-bridge/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/white-rock-woods--3/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/white-rock-mountain/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/more-white-rock-mountain/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Day 2 to follow tomorrow so stay tuned. :norton
  4. scotty69

scotty69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all of you for the kind words about me, my wife, and my team. I certainly will let all of them know your sentiments.

Since Sunday at 4:55 pm, when we finished the 2013 Arkansas 500, I have not had a chance to even check emails, let alone post up. I spent Monday lifting a three story house, excavating the foundation on three sides, busting out the block walls, and preparing it for the new walls to be poured. Until dark I burnt brush and drank water to rehydrate my kidneys from the weekend. This morning, Tuesday, I woke at 6, drove to Russellville, AR and loaded furniture into my truck and trailer, drove to Rogers, AR to revive my Ma's lawn, then on to mi casa to read all of your post and relax.

I will work on vids and pics tonight in hopes of writing tomorrow. I would like to take this time to thank some people for their help. First I would like to thank Craig...you know the guy who started Craig's List. If it were not for him I may be still dependent on four wheels...four wheelers. I bought my bike on Craig's List and have not looked back.

I rode alone until some guy stopped by on a yella bike and told my son to have me check out the ADV Forums. Thanks DZRCharlie! Charlie did not stop there. After I rode with DZRCharlie, Doc, Toyman, Oleary, Tencup, and several others I can't name (some-timers) I was certainly hooked on two wheels...again. DZRCharlie offered to stop by and bless me with a pocket full of tracks/routes and a two hour private lesson (priceless)! Thanks Charlie, you gave me knowledge, which is power. The power to spend some time freeing my mind! (while not getting lost)! Thanks DZRCharlie for leading the yellow group.

I would like to thank Oleary for his undying patience with me. He has helped me progress in my GPS skills (which need work yet), riding skills, and is always willing to lend a hand. Oleary is a fantastic rider and ride leader and continues to share his skills through his Camping Thread. Look it up if you dare. Oleary is fun to ride with and is always seeking that perfect ride or that great view and is eager to share with all of us. Thanks Oleary for leading the blue group, you enriched their lives as well. Oh, and thanks for the Day 2 track/route. 3.5 years of riding the Ozark Highlands and Day 2 was, by a truck load, the best ever! Maybe two big red dump truck loads..hahahahahahaha!

I also would like to thank Devro for leading the Red Team. When Devro rides up he always makes me laugh. I don't stop until he leaves! Heck, I don't know if I'm laughing with him or at him...just kidding! Devro scours routes/tracks just like Oleary and DZRCharlie and always lends a helping hand through his vast knowledge of the Ozarks. Remember, Devro was riding the Re-tart-ed route (he made the 1100 mile route) for a week BEFORE he joined us with his brother, Bob, from Denver! What a hard ass he is! Thanks Devro!

Other ride leaders emerged, Posey, Minton, ... heck, my brain just died...9:43 PM Tuesday. If I forgot your name, just know I know your face and will be looking for it next year! or sooner!

Oh, I really want to thank every rider for their donation to Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge. I was able to get each and every one of you to donate to a nonprofit organization. How did that make you feel? I am a nonprofit fundraiser/social media guru (self proclaimed) and I hope I have inspired you to donate to one of your local nonprofits. If you cannot find a good one in your hometown, donate here:
    www.turpentinecreek.org

FYI: we had 62 paid riders. Two canceled for personal reasons and did not want refunded and two broke down on the way here. Hillbilly math says 58 rode out on Friday. Let's see...62x60= $3,720. $3,720 - $918 expenses leaves $2,352 profit for Turpentine Creek! This donation is earmarked for the Habitat fund. These monies are used to build the big runs for our beloved animals. Thanks to all of the riders. "Together we can make a difference"(while grinning from ear to ear all day).
    :norton:norton:norton:norton:norton

I will post photos and vids soon.....
  5. Dadayama

Dadayama Constant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can not say enough about how much fun this last weekend was...!!!

Scotty and his wonderful wife have taught me so much in what it means to be nice, great, hospitable, fun, people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT GREAT TIME!!!!!!

and the campfires... the crazy wonderful friendly characters who attend are a testament to the wonderfulness of this activity. What a great group of riders!

Will post what little pictures i have up soon... Did any one get any videos of the crazy water crossings? please post... and any video of the road by the river with the cliffs/bluffs on the other side???

Thank you Scotty!

and as always... BEWARE THE EVIL LEFT TESTICLE... and if you don't know what that means, you should stay up later and laugh your ass off around the campfire!
  6. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the awesome time. Everything was better than I remember. I didn't take many pics. This is one I like.

[​IMG]
  7. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    It's still out there, ya know Â…
  8. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    Woke up early Saturday, like 3 am. Hit the hay way too early but I was tuckered out and the tent was the only warm spot I could find. There was a bit of a breeze and there was only so much room around that campfire. Thats my story anyway. The posse got around about 8 am or so and we headed out. I think we were the second group out after Charlies. Headed down Flygap and turned north on Fleming Road. This was about the only road I did not preride and sure enough it had a barbed wire fence around it about halfway to Hwy 16. So we turned back. I didn't have cell service and so we beat feet backtracking to Flygap to alert the groups behind us that Fleming Road did not go thru. When we reached Flygap I still did not have cell service so up to the Overlook we went. I got ahold of Scotty and they were on their way to St. Paul for fuel I guess. We met the Texans on the way to the Overlook and made them aware of the situation. As it turned out I think only our group and the Texans were going that way. I think everyone else just went north on Hwy 23/16 to St. Pauls for fuel. It is a shame that road did not go thru cause it was a good one. Here is a video of some of it on the way back to Flygap,

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/fleming-road-no-go-thru--2/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Once we got lined out we backtracked on the route we rode on Day 1 until we intersected the Day 2 route and all was good. We let the Texans go ahead of us but we caught up with them again further down Flygap as one of the other groups that went to Hwy 16 came down Baldwin Creek Rd from St. Paul.

[​IMG]

Jim from Nawlins and Dave from Big D were my shadow most of the day. This is Jim. Can't remember the handle, Duck something. That reminds me, I would like for all of the guys that rode with me to PM me and clue me in to your name and your handle so that I will know who you are in the future. I would greatly appreciate that. It was a pleasure riding with each and every one of you. This AR500 was the best group to date. You are to be commended.

[​IMG]

They went that-a-way! Chip (Dirty Sanchez) from Baton Rouge closest on the left and Tennessee Bro on the right. Tennessee Bro followed me on a KTM 690 up on the overlook rock on Flygap Rd on Day 1. He looked a lot more in control than I did I remember that.

[​IMG]

We crossed a newly constructed low water bridge on Mulberry Creek on the way to Oark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next stop Oark. It was about 11 am when we arrived and like yesterday a bit early for lunch but we stopped and ate as most of us needed fuel anyway. We sat out back and pretty much filled up the place. Scotty came by after we got there and said they were full so his group had to move on.

[​IMG]

After we left Oark we turned notrh at Catalpa on Panther Creek Road. That is when we came up on the fallen tree. This just fell in the last week cause it wasn't down when Scotty and I rode it the Saturday before. One by one everyone made it under.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we got to Hwy 123 we just naturally stopped in a line. It was a perfect opportunity to get a good group shot.

[​IMG]

Next stop Haw Creek Falls. It is a good idea I think to stop at some picturesque spots to show the folks that are not from our area what natural beauty that Arkansas has. I don't do this enough on my own rides. It wasn't running quite as good as the week before but it was still quite a site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then up the road to our first really good water crossing of the day at Hurricane Creek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was really impressed with Tom's ability to adapt to the dirt and this was his first creek crossing of sorts. He purchased this DR650 three weeks prior and wanted to see what this dirt riding was all about as he is planning to ride the eastern portion of the TAT from Tennessee to Oklahoma in a few weeks. I was messin with him and told him that it was a good thing we went down the Fleming Road right away cause everything after that was cake.

[​IMG]

Bob got bogged down a little bit but made it across without getting too wet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about the camera in the way on the video. I forgot the video cam was on but I thought I would post it anyway. The title says Big Piney Creek Crossing but it is actually Hurricane Creek.

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/double-dip-big-piney-crossing--2/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

On down the Beautiful Road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest of the Beautiful Road and Curtis Creek Road are videos.

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/the-beautiful-roadbig-piney-creek/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/more-of-the-beautiful-road/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

We caught up with some GS Giants but it was kewl to take our time here and enjoy the scenery.

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/curtis-creek-road/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Dave (TypeSH) I believe blasting thru a creek below a bridge. I had to follow it looked like fun.

[​IMG]

Stopped in Jasper for fuel and ran into JDUB from Iowa and his twin brother (Yuk! Yuk!) and another side kick. They were staying in a cabin in Jasper and said they were havin a whale of a good time. A few of our group left for camp at Jasper but the rest of us headed for the Buffalo River Crossing at Erbie Campground. It was still running pretty good. One really slick spot at the end of the bridge.

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/buffalo-river-crossing--3/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The road uphill was a bit muddy. One of the Cabot fellas got a bit sideways and we came up on one of the GS's that was bringing up the rear down by the side of the road waiting for help. We got him upright and on his way no worse for wear. Next stop Lovers Leap overlooking the Osage Creek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nearest in the photo is Tom from Cabot. He is a good ol boy! And funny! There were three riders from Cabot that all came up together and trailered their bikes. Tom, Greg, and I don't remember the other fellas name. Great guys! I hope to see them at the Lake Sylvia camping event in June. The two young gents farthest in the photo were assisting another fella on the ground below who they said was going to attempt to repel the cliff. That is a fer piece down like 600-700 feet I would say.

[​IMG]

They had a rope tied to this tree. I am not sure I would trust my life to that setup.

[​IMG]

This photo cracks me up! A couple of our group OKC gent and the other fella from Cabot looking down at the guy on the ground fixin to repel up.

[​IMG]

That is about it for Day 2. Was makin tracks back up Possum Creek Road when I picked up a nail in my rear tire. That is two rear tire flats in a month. That is unusual for me. Needless to say it made a long day even longer.

It was a memorable day for sure. Enjoyed every minute of it, except for fixin the flat. The hardy six of us I think came rolling into camp about dark. I sure did not feel like trying to set up a tent and get a sleeping bag aired up as whipped as I was so I left the bike and jumped in my truck and headed for home. Before I did tho I woofed down a couple each of the chicken and beef fajitas. Man that sure hit the spot.

It was good to get in the hot tub at home and get a good nights rest. Up at 4 am and ready to head back for Day 3. More on that later. :norton
  9. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice report. That was an awesome route. I believe they call it "The OLeary Trail" from what I hear. I definitely want to ride it again. Great work!
  10. divinduck

divinduck The Man

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a great time !! Scotty and family are the best ! You guys live in GODs country for sure !

Tim, thanks for a great ride and for the lesson in just watching you ride for 2 days.

Greg and Tom and crew were great ride buds and look forward to doing it again next yeat !

Again, thanks to all and see ya next year !!

Jim aka Divinduck
  11. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words. It was great meeting and riding with you. Too bad you had to cut it short on Sunday, but you didn't miss that much in the afternoon. Hope to see you next year. Take care. :norton

Divinduck Huh! I remembered the duck part. I meant to ask you about Duck Dynasty. If you knew them or live in the area they do or whatever. We didn't get a chance to visit much other than on the trail. I tell myself I am going to do a better job of getting to know folks at these events but it seems there is so much to do, so little time. My Son-In-Law has a license with them to make Duck Dynasty Caps. He has gone down to their facility and met with them. I really haven't had a chance to ask him much about it to date.

It was sure great riding with you. It was a real pleasure. I am sorry you didn't get a chance to ride my WR. It was so late when we got back to camp Saturday. I looked for you Sunday morning but I guess you'all headed back to Nawlins. I will be looking for you next year on one. Until then take care of yourself. :norton
  12. mbgta1

mbgta1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you scott for the great time!! Great routes great views...thanks for devro leading the red crew and Ken and Paul leading the next day!...good times!!
  13. crownhorse

crownhorse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a wonderful weekend ,Scotty put together a great ride. O'Leary was a very good ride leader, hope to do some more rides with some of the group this year, and can't wait for ar500 2014.

crownhorse, aka Tom from Cabot:clap
  14. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    You don't have to wait that long, Tom, Lake Sylvia, June 14th-16th. There should be 4 or 5 LR guys there plus a few from NWA. Here is a link to the AR ADV Camping Thread. Check it out and get to the ones you can. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651353 BTW, you and your buddies from Cabot cracked me up. Great to meet you. Hope to see you again on down the road. :norton
  15. NateLePain

NateLePain The Illegitimate Painter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, y'all. Thanks for posting the vids and pics. The videos of the Beautiful Road was great. A little late but there's a 2nd waterfall on the SE side of the Haw Creek Campground, about 100 yards up a little creek.

A few years back, my boy and I crossed Hurricane Creek and rode Beautiful Road, 2-up. It is one of my favorite roads in AR.

Looks like a great ride and a great crew. :clap

nlp
  16. scotty69

scotty69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone. I'm having trouble with video editing. I have not done any video work in some time and with my slow upload speeds I'm struggling. Rest well knowing I'm busy at it.... I did not take stills, darn it!
  17. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    I am glad you enjoyed the video's and pics Nate. It was a good time. Scotty did a great job of organizing things and keeping us well fed. I will have to check out the 2nd waterfall next time around. :norton

Scotty, if you get too annoyed with the whole process you can email the videos to me and I will get the links for you and email them back for you to post. I know how that slow uploading can be a real PITA! You will have to tell me what segments you want to save and share. Like ie. from 1:10 to 3:30 of video 1302. :norton
  18. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    I thought I would post the Day 3 photos and videos. I really thought that there would be more people posting photos and such but doesn't look like that is the case. Anyway like I said at the end of Day 2 it was dark when we finally got to Scottys place and I only live 45 minutes away and I was beat and didn't want to drag my tent out and set it up in the dark so I drove home and returned about 7:30 the next morning. There was only one group left that needed a leader so Scotty led that group and I rode sweep. Stopped in Eureka Springs and fueled up, then thru town and on to Holiday Island on Hwy 187. Crossed the Beaver Bridge which is pretty much a historical site. It is hard to see but if you look off to the right as we are crossing the bridge you can see the old M&NA Railroad Tressle. The train ran right thru Beaver on the other side of the bridge and crossed that portion of Table Rock Lake to the right. We will be riding the old RR bed once we leave the pavement all the way to Seligman.

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/beaver-bridge/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Stopped along the road to Seligman for a quick break. This is part of the railroad bed.

[​IMG]

Our feerless leader.

[​IMG]

You can see from the video how raised the road is that we are riding on. A bit of history of NWA and SW Missouri. I rode the other end of this railroad bed a month or so ago over north of Shirley along the Middle Fork of the Little Red River.

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/mna-railroad-bed/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Once we got to Seligman we rode down Hwy Dd which is always fun along the beginnings of the Big Sugar Creek.
    Then along Mikes Creek to Powell where we crossed another old bridge. The Powell Bridge.

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/powell-bridge--2/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

We passed a couple of the groups that had taken off ahead of us and we were kind of leapfrogging each other all day. This is one of the groups that we passed at the Powell Bridge. Rode down Creekside Road and turned on Hwy K and ended up at Havenhurst Falls for lunch just south of Pineville, Missouri. We ate at the Haven 5 I think it was overlooking the falls. First time to eat there and it was pretty kewl. Food was decent but the local was excellant.

[​IMG]

This photo is taken off an outside deck just below the restaurant and the falls actuall flows right under this deck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After lunch Burmbuster had to head for home. He had a long ride ahead all the way to Mobile, Alabama. 13 hours I think he said it took on the way up and he and a buddy rode straight thru. We actually had a couple of other fellas break off when we hit Hwy E just before the Powell Bridge cause they had to get home. We cut off some of the route over by Sulphur Springs cause it was slow going and we wanted to get back by 5 or so. We rode down the Sugar Creek road heading east and jumped on Hwy 62 thinking we would save some time with some slab and rand into a traffic jam with a wreck up ahead. Traffic was backed up as far as you could see just up the hill from the Brightwater Church. We turned around and took the dirt thru until we got on the other side of the accident and came out on Hwy 62 right where the accident happend. It looked like someone rear ended another car pretty good. Someone was injured and looked like they were laying in the back seat of the car that rear ended the other.

We took Hwy 62 and turned on the Dam Site Road. We stopped at a rest area before we crossed the dam and took a break. Here is a video of crossing Beaver Dam. It's not much but it is something.

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/beaver-lake-dam/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Ran into the group of Brad, Donny, Earl, and a couple of other riders that I am not familiar at a cool spot along a rock outcropping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We arrived at Turpentine Creek about 5 pm. I said my farewells, loaded the bike in my truck, and I was homeward bound. Scotty said we rode 533 miles over the three days. That is a lot of miles for this old boy. Sure had a great time and I have to hand it to Scotty, Tanya, and all of their crew for organizing a great event. Many thanks to them. Those two have a heart of gold. I made some new aquaintances and hopefully some new friends. I really enjoyed everyones company. Let's do it again next year. :norton
  19. Dragon43

Dragon43 If you insist.

Oddometer:
    Lookin good....
  20. ktmdude2002

ktmdude2002 Lost in transition Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the great post ride report O'Leary. I was the "new old guy" in your last pics with the yellow Moose gear on. I was attempting to upload my pics & video from Picassa when I got back, but haven't figured it out yet. I've never had any issues with other sites. It was a fantastic weekend thanks to ride leaders like yourself, also. I'll be looking forward to next year.