the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. imprezagm4

imprezagm4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a FYI I also have the FX39DS, love it and have been looking into the FX41, talked to atomic moto recently and they have been running into issues with the 41. Something regarding sealing of the visor, I would hold off for a while.
  2. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. I have this one by Bajaworx (purchased from ProCycle), and am really happy with it:

[​IMG]

Works great, takes the wind off my chest, and I don't have any turbulence from it (I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam).
  3. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I noticed while changing out the headlight bulb that my front brake light wasn't working. I believe it's the brake light switch. Do you guys take those apart and clean them or just replace them? It's $10 at ronayers. Maybe change it to a banjo bolt type switch? That stock switch looks pretty wimpy.
  4. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up!
  5. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Visual didn't show anything when mine stopped but found the wires a bit loose at the switch. Cleaned em, reinstall, bingo. If it's not that, I have a banjo switch you're welcome to if I can find it - that I bought before actually looking into the problem. :shog
  6. Rick

Rick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered one from them yesterday. I'll post back my impressions of it when it comes in. Looks like quality is an issue because some people report that they are fine.
  7. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I've replaced mine a couple of times now. The first one went 5,000 miles; I fixed it, the fix lasted about 2,000 miles. The second one went 35,000 and the 3rd is still hanging in there after another 30,000. Not really worth the effort to fix it, I think.

...........shu
  8. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    sweet. I'll take a crack at cleaning it but it looked like maybe the spring inside is fucked. It didn't want to retract freely.
  9. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    February issue of Dirt Bike magazine has an article on a tricked out DR650. It's bored to 790 and loaded. Wish it were mine. I miss the ole DR sometimes.
  10. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Procycle has the full article on their site - just read it while taking a break at work. Good development and contributions by frequent posters here. Very nicely done.
  11. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Perhaps a new product idea for you might be to put some pre-drilled socket head screws with flange together with instructions, Loctite and some wire as a NSU Kit.
  12. tencrore

tencrore Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    We've tossed that idea around. The only pre-drilled screws I found are titanium (too expensive) or aluminum (too easy to damage). To drill them ourselves the individual handling adds too much cost to the product to sell for an attractive price. I can order custom drilled screws but the per screw price to have them drilled is ridiculous and the minimum order quantity would mean buying a lifetime supply pretty much negating any profitability of offering the product. I'm still keeping my eye out for a way to put this together.
  14. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
  15. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems to me that the way to solve the problem would be metal spacers (lightly) interference fit into enlarged holes, together with the flanged bolts. That way the screws could be torqued to a proper specification without the plastic taking the majority of the load and giving way.

Regards,

Derek
    NC Rick likes this.
  16. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya some sort of metal sleeve,so the bolt has something solid to torque down to.
  17. oldirtyrider

oldirtyrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahhh I see . Thanks sir.
  18. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Yes, if Suzuki really wanted to solve the problem a simple redesign of the switch mounting to incorporate collars would do it.
  19. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    SOLD! Man, I can't even get that rate in Tijuana.
  20. Mongle

Mongle Cyberdos groupie

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I must have mis-understood your post. I thought you were looking to improve your suspension. I don't consider losing 2 inches of suspension travel improvement- more of a step backwards.

But, you are correct. It is easy to change.