Bicycles on the road

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ThatOtherGuy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Self serving BS. That may have had a small role in it in the beginning, but the need for roads for cars eclipsed the need for bikes LONG before there were enough paved roads to matter.:deal

Jim :brow
    novaks47 and squonker like this.
  2. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Not sure where you live but here the reason cyclist have nice (a relative term for sure) paved roads to use is due to the huge surcharge in fuel tax motorist pay. That said I'm all for reducing pollution, congestion and for people getting out and exercising. All very positive stuff. As for as cyclist, I used to ride daily, not so much lately not sure why that is - anyway I always dig a little deeper to afford them extra courtesy. A little more exposed on the road then even motorcyclists.
  3. Crusier Dude

Crusier Dude pavement inspecter

Oddometer:
    I have had to cross over the Yellow line to many times for these faggot spandex douche Bags. I want to know how to make my diesel smoke like this.

We have had a few deaths here in Boise also due to the ASS HOLE bikers riding two or three abreast taking up a whole lane.

First off the shitheads DON'T PAY ANY ROAD TAXES OR REPAIRS so stay the hell off my roads that I DO PAY TAXES on.
    novaks47 likes this.
  4. Offblnz

Offblnz Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, did we reach an agreement yet?:lol3

The whole idea, that engineers seems to forget all the time (together with intersection lights that helps the flow of traffic instead of creating congestion) is separation of traffic into pedestrians, bicycles and motorized vehicles and from there, how to seamlessly make them mingle and cross each other's paths when necessary. It's been done basically everywhere else in the western world, no reason it can't be done here.

Like I have mentioned earlier, pack your hostilities away when out on/in a moving vehicle, they don't belong there and anyone not being able to see that is too immature to hold any kind of license to a vehicle. And don't bring the BS of "it's the other people's fault!" it is starting to sound rather "WAAH-WAAH, gibberish-gibberish-gibberish, WAAH-WAAH!". The majority of road users have no problems getting along with whomever they share the road with, or else it would be a war zone out there and be categorized as such by the people that issue the license to use the roads to us.

I have driven semis next to and been able to pass bicyclist without creating a damn incident for neither parties, but some of you shouldn't even be allowed to ride a children's tricycle if the behavior you claim here is the way you really behave out on the roads. I've ridden and walked in a lot of places outside the US, but nowhere do I see the this kind of ownership mentality among car drivers as I've seen on the threads here. You do not own the road, it's a shared space, and just because some people pay more to share the space doesn't mean that it is their space, it just means that they use the space more, have more impact on wearing the space down and therefore have to contribute more, but it does not make it "MINE, MINE! ALL MINE!".

Now, how was it we were supposed to pass those damn spandex clad numb-nuts out there?:lol3
    squonker likes this.
  5. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    Egg-zac-ly!
    So then, why the hell do the bicyclist's act like it's theirs and theirs alone? HUH?
    Going slow...............stay to the right! SINGLE FILE! Just WHY is that so hard?? If the Spandex wearer's would just do that, there wouldn't be all the "harshin' on their mellow" going on here! :lol3

Now Fuck-off! :lol3

Chris
    novaks47 likes this.
  6. gmiguy

gmiguy You rode a what to where?

Oddometer:
    You do realize that almost everybody you see on a bicycle also owns a car and therefore pays the same road TAXES that you do, right?
  7. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Oh really? Please do elaborate.
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    That's a biiiiiiig +1

Every mtbiker or roadie I've met at cool trailheads or fixing a flat was a rider serious about not getting creamed by cars/boats/trains. Swapping lanes is what I usually do, with a big thumbs up air-punch once I'm by. Most folks appreciate and reciprocate.
    drz ... if only it wasnt for the stators (sigh)
  9. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:

By that argument if I have a car I should not have to pay road tax (registration) on my motorcycle because I already paid it???:huh
  10. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Negative. At least here the tax is in the fuel and the more you use then more you pay. So not exactly the same. In the end though the road is public space and not owned by cagers, riders, or cyclist. Some douche may feel that way but a quick trip to court or jail will sort that out. All the anger you feel in the moment is going to make you feel pretty small and retarded when you're looking at your shoes trying to explain your action to the family of the person you killed out of negligence or anger because you were inconvenience for a few minutes.
  11. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    You haven't read too many of these threads, have ya?!

They usually devolve pretty quickly...

AFA 'how I'd like you to pass me...' Just please do it safely. I'm one of those that rides in the middle of the lane at crests of hills and blind corners so drivers have to think about how far into the other lane they're gonna hafta be to get around me. I STILL get idiots completely in the other lane going over crests of hills! I've found that when I don't ride like that, its actually worse for all of us.

If I hear a bike coming, I'll move back over 'cause I know the bike can get around me without going into the other lane. IOW safely.

Tip for the cyclists reading this: when you can see that its safe, wave the cars around ASAP. Seems to go a long ways towards alleviating bad feelings.

M
  12. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I'd like you to explain how the bicyclists were at fault for the deaths.

Go ahead. I'm listening. :ear

M
  13. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I'll throw this offer out yet again:

Come ride with me. I have extra bicycles. :nod You'll find out VERY quickly there's a reason most people ride like they do.

I have yet to have one person accept my offer. Maybe this time'll be different. :dunno Doubt it.

M
  14. bumblebee1

bumblebee1 All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer:
    When riding my motorcycle I try to be as safe as possible.
    I ride defensively and pretend I'm invisible.
    When I see bicyclists riding 2 and 3 wide, it seems to be the opposite to what I do to stay safe.
    That frustrates me.
    Everyone does his share in the continuous flow of trafic but some bicyclists seem to love to slow it all down to their speed.
    It's in their rights and they are going to excersise that right.

So my big complaint is this:
    If you ride a bicycle, then please share the road with those that ride motor vehicles. Be curtious by not obstructing the flow of trafic. Stay to the right (even in the left hand turn lane, stay to the right on the line), use bike paths, have a good rear view mirror and use it. Think ahead so to not surprise the driver behind you. Signal when about to turn, not halfway around the corner. And most importantly, forgive cage drivers when we make mistakes. It happens.
    novaks47 likes this.
  15. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    This^. As an avid cyclist, I have little sympathy for lane hogging A-holes who hold up traffic. They are easier to pass than rolling roadblocks of Harleys though (its Friday).:deal However, far too many responsible cyclists get hit/killed by inconsiderate cagers every year. I only ride out in the country and stay within a foot of the white line, always allowing room for traffic to pass. I'm glad to live out in the county so I can avoid riding in the city with its crappy roads and crappier drivers.
  16. gmiguy

Oddometer:
    It's not an argument, it's a statement of fact. Most adult bicyclists also own cars, pay into the system with their registration and fuel taxes, and are therefore not "free riders".

Using more fuel (and therefore paying more fuel taxes) does not give you a greater right to the road or make it "your road". Would you want a guy in an S-Class to take the approach that he has a greater right to the road than motorcyclists because his taxes and fuel consumption are much higher than any motorcycle?
  17. BrandonR

BrandonR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, no. I'm not the rare cyclist, I'm the most common type, it's human nature to ignore the ones that blend in and don't cause problems but focus on the few who do cause problems.
  18. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  19. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:

....its not about right or more right to the road, you miss the point....your using a public utility with out putting into the system. If they had one flat tax for all road use then maybe it would make sense....but its per vehicle..what about an electric car??? no fuel tax...yet they still need to register to drive on the road...
  20. gmiguy

Oddometer:
    Again, almost all adult bicyclists also own and operate cars, and therefore do "put into the system".

Do you also object to people walking along the road, because they are not "putting into the system"? When you see a walker, do you assume that they do not own a car and only ever travel by walking?