Anyone ride their F800GS 100% pavement?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by uconnapharm, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    most intelligent post jet. Can't add anything to this. what are you waiting for? we want pictures of your new f800gs now!
  2. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    X2, get it, ride it and enjoy it!:freaky
  3. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer:
    I agree with your on road/off road discussion. Generally, when people say on road they mean paved smooth asphalt.

Everything else is bull.

Bikes I have owned just in the last 10 years -

Suzuki Intruder
    Yamaha Virago
    Honda Valkyrie Standard
    Honda Valkyrie Interstate
    Honda Magna
    KLR 650
    DRZ400
    Triumph Thunderbird Sport
    05 Triumph tiger
    Ducati Multistrada
    07 Triumph tiger

with a total of between 100k and 200k miles between them.

I took a KLR650 up the AlCan and 5-700 mile days on long travel suspension bikes made a believer out of me.

I don't generally ride off pavement. Don't particularly care for it. I do like to be able to take a dirt or gravel road when it gets me where I want to go but that was never the purpose of buying the GS.

I bought the GS because I think the dual sport long travel suspension is a much better ride than the suspension they generally put on "on road" bikes.

I have found that I can stay in the saddle longer without fatigue or aches and that is what's important to me.

I have occasionally ridden the GS across gravel parking lots but that's pretty much the extent of my off pavement riding.

I buy the bike I want because I want the thing. Other people don't like the bike I choose or think I made a poor choice, tough. I quit caring what other people thought of my decisions a long time ago.
  4. JohnnieBoy

JohnnieBoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  5. CaliKarl

CaliKarl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, a stock 800GS would be great for 100% pavement. Stick with street tyres and avoid the usual farkles (skid plate, crash bars, headlight guard, suspension upgrades, protective bits, luggage and racks, ...). I somewhat miss when my GS looked like this...

Attached Files:

6. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    Why wouldn't OP want luggage and racks for street use? Where do you suggest he carry stuff?
  7. SilverBike

SilverBike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you suggest OP would/should/must want the luggage and racks to carry his stuff?
  8. opmike

opmike Choosing to be here.

Oddometer:
    Are you just being argumentative? The issue was that he specifically listed luggage as something to actively avoid. Asking why isn't the same as implying the OP "should" have them.
  9. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    My take is that the suggestion was the F800/650GS make better street bikes without many of the RTW farkles we tend to add. I agree in my case. My F650GS handled much better on pavement with street tires and minus the heavy hard luggage I installed. Especially at high speeds. Loading your hard luggage moves your combined CG up and back. I find that detrimental to stability at high speeds and have experienced considerable wobble.

I believe the opinion given was that if you use the F800/650GS stricktly on pavement, reducing the number of unnecessary farkles will make for a better street bike.
  10. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    To the OP, if you like the bike buy it. put street oriented tires on and have fun.

for racks and luggage, I personally believe in having the crash bars, you can drop it on pavement just like off pavement, It's not IF it's WHEN.

I don't keep my hard luggage on the rear racks, using Pelican Cases and the HT mounts I can put them on or off in a couple minutes, with them off the racks help protect the rear plastic etc.
  11. JohnnieBoy

JohnnieBoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. ducpilot

ducpilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can't go wrong with the F800GS (I own one but ride mine on and off road). I also have an F650GS and had an F800R in the garage, if I had no offroad asperations the F650GS was by far the best all around road bike.

In the end motorcycles are not really a purchuse of logic so I would get the bike that make you smile the most :D
  13. GSFREEK

GSFREEK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Commuting to work in bussy traffic is a bigger adventure then many so-called adventure trails, it just calls for an adventure bike ! :wink:
  14. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Like I was saying: a supermoto or other slimmer and more nimble bike is far better for commuting than a big GS. I love commuting on my sumo and very much dislike commuting on my GS when I have to.