BMBEN’s Adventure Rides 8/10/2010 Cowra and Grenfell NSW

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by BMBEN, Oct 13, 2010.

1. BMBEN

BMBEN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Blue Mountains and West, N.S.W. AUSTRALIA
    BMBEN’s Adventure Ride

Friday 8th October 2010

Destination:

Cowra and Grenfell NSW

With the weather being so good at this time I decide to go for a ride. I had planed out route, with a short trip into the Nangar National Park, then cut across into the back of Canowindra, then a different way across to Cowra, then back through the Conimbla National Park to Gooloogong then home. Well that was the plan.

[​IMG]

Well I am off at 11.30am and planning to be home around 4.00pm ish. I arrive at the camping ground in the Nangar National Park and did not see any signs of the road back to the Nangar Rd. So I kept going.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Past Dripping Rock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And on to Nangar. The road to the camping grounds was suppose to be 2 wheel vehicle access but I would not take anything other than a 4x4 as the road was in a bad way and full of causeways, some only 15m apart. The rest of the TRACK was indicated as 4x4 only and in bad condition, which meant 13km of 1<sup>st</sup> and 2<sup>nd</sup> gear. All I know is that I had to stay on the Mogong Creek Trail to get out of this place. Having to deal with opening and closing 2 gates I came out onto the road heading to Canowindra. Although the road was not in good condition, Dripping Rock was very interesting. When I came to the road into Canowindra I screwed my head around the see the road name, what as surprise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pronounced Deeths Lane

[​IMG]

Back onto bitumen and into Canowindra. After Canowindra I tried a different way to Cowra. Heading south/east out along the road (George Russell Drive) to Mandurama and near Wally I turned right onto Binni Creek Road and headed south to Cowra.

[​IMG]

About 7km from Canowindra there is another interesting road I wanted to try but after the last experience I just kept going.

About 8km from Cowra the road must have gone over a mountain range as the views were amazing and I think they must have been higher than the lookout at Cowra, as you look over Cowra and further into the distance.

While in Cowra I filled with fuel and went to 3 hardware stores to find the materials that I went for. Cowra has a small Bunnings.

Leaving Cowra and traveling west along the Mid Western Highway for about 25km to Bumbaldry where I turned right onto Kangarooby Road which would lead me north all the way back to Gooloogong. Well that was the plan. Traveling 8km along a good dirt road I came to a locked property gate, so I looked at the map to work out how far along the Highway the next road north is. It’s back to the Highway and I had 4km to the next turnoff. It was Claypan Road, 2 wheel track between fences and I am thinking that this is not quiet right, all of a sudden, 3km later, I came out onto a 2 lane wide, perfect smooth dirt road. Unclear of which one this is on my map, and being in such good condition, it must be the right one, so I kept going north.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These photos are 5km along an excellent dirt road.

Around the 10km mark I came to another Conimbla National Park sign and a Y intersection in the road. Looking at the map, now I have some idea of where I am. I had to go left down the fire trail that would take me around the west side of the National Park and north through to Kangarooby and then onto Gooloogong. (Looking at Google maps the next day, I think I should have gone right for about 5km then left). What a surprise when 15km up the fire trail there is another locked property gate. It’s now 4.00pm and I am in the middle of nowhere. So it’s back 25km to the Highway, turn right and head west Grenfell. It did not matter weather it was left or right, as I was ½ way between Cowra and Grenfell. When back at the highway I find that I had been riding north/south on Major West and Mogongong Springs Roads.

In Grenfell I only stopped to put a jumper on, as it is starting to get cool, and then finely headed north to Gooloogong, then over the bridge and to home. I did 280km and got home at 5.45pm.
    Regards Franz G

The week before was only a short loop to Parks to pickup some materials, then back to Bumberry and a dirt road to Murga and then home. A real good dirt road that had just been graded and rolled through the countryside.

[​IMG]
  2. Signal

Signal it's such a fine line between stupid and clever

Oddometer:
    "Cranky Rock Road" :gerg

:lol3

Nice work :nod
  3. pugsley

pugsley Little Man

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun mate!
  4. hunter_greyghost