Jesse/Micatech: conflict with exhaust and/or luggage rack?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by WyldKard, Jun 2, 2010.

1. WyldKard

WyldKard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still trying to decide between the Jesse and Micatech bags. Do either have problems with most exhausts, or do they install cleanly without repositioning/replacing the exhaust pipe? How about with a rear luggage rack?
  2. Micatech

Micatech Motorcycle Luggage

Oddometer:
    Hi WyldKard. On what bike are you installing the panniers?
  3. WyldKard

Oddometer:
    Looking to install on an F800GS.
  4. Micatech

Micatech Motorcycle Luggage

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. For a Micatech setup, you'd be looking at the V2 Cases. They are available in 8" and 10" widths. They mount using SW-Motech racks. These racks are completely bolt on and don't require any modifications to the exhaust (or elsewhere).

This thread has some great details and photos (see the 4th page)

If you're interested in a Top Case, we have a system that works with the F800GS as well.

Feel free to check out The Official Micatech Thread for more info.
  5. EdOriginal

EdOriginal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have all three boxes (side panniers and top box) and definately no issues with the exhaust or rear rack with the Jesses.

I really like that you can move the Jesses backward and forward when you have a heavy load or passenger. Also, after leaving side loading bags for 3 years, I now much prefer the top loading bags. I find I can store much more in the top loading bags, and never a risk of leaking water or dust when crossing creeks/or dusty roads. I keep camping, clothes, etc compressed in my Left Bag...when I had side loading bags my packed stuff came tumbling out when I opened the door (especially from the SIDE STAND, at night in the RAIN). Never an issue with Jesses top loaders.
  6. Mud Butt'n

Mud Butt'n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to say Jesse!! After you top load you will never want to side load. Not to downplay Micatech.
  7. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    The Micatech's look really nice but I think stick out too far on the pipe side...the Jesse Safari, although you loose a bit of space work around the pipe and look great....would be nice if the rumour was true that Jesse is coming out with a 9 inch pannier...I am trying to find out if this is true
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Once you've used the Micatech semi-side loader, you won't want to go back to top loaders.. :nod Imagine your pillion deck is strapped down with a big dry bag with your camping gear.. and it straddles the tops of your cases.. On the micatech V2 cases, you open the door, that's hinged about a third of the way up the side of the case which means when you do open the door, your stuff doesn't fall out, like on traditional clamshell side loaders, reach in and grab your stuff.. The latch and lock is also on the front of the door, no hand gymnastics to get at the lock/latch like you'd have to do on the stock Vario cases.. and there's no need to unstrap or move your stuff off the pillion deck to open the cases, as you would with a toploader.
  9. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    On the R12GS I used a set of Micatech Pilot bags (slightly different from the V2 bags sold for the F8GS), on the F8GS I have Jesses. Not quite apples-to-apples comparison but will give you an idea.

Micatech pros: Micatech side-loading bags have a "well", stuff you put in then mostly sit in the well and won't tumble out. Plus, side-loading makes it very easy to access the bags. Minor point: The Micatech bags bags have only one lock to deal with rather than two separate latches/locks as others do.
    Cons: On the R12GS Micatech Pilot bags mount close to the bike. On the F8GS the Micatech V2 bags sit too far out for *my* needs. This was the same complaint I had for other pannier systems too (Trax, Happy Trails, etc).

Jesse pros: They mount in closer to the F8GS than other systems (that was a requirement of mine). The mounting system is relatively straightforward.
    Cons: In order to have the bags sit in closer requires losing some space from the bag insides. I'm learning to pare my kit down, less clothes, less incidental crap so for me it's no big deal. Since the Jesse bags are top loading it's a bit harder to access the bags if you have stuff strapped to the top. I've not found this to be a big issue as I try to not overload the bike.

Both are quality products and you won't go wrong with either pannier system.
  10. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I agree with blender here. I don't know the Micatech or the Jesse cases for what it's worth, but the SW Motech quick release system is a complete piece of sh** in my opinion.

When I look at this picture:

[​IMG]

I plain cannot believe that Micatech went with this mounting system ... The cases seem nice enough and I really wouldn't mind them, but pairing a set of first class boxes with a third class rack is going to make the overall experience third class.

Na, never, ever.
  11. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Absolutely True....Viva Micatech....:clap :D :norton

Not to knock the Jesses at all. They're a great product but serve one at different needs. Can the Jesses take the abuse of the Micatechs as seen here?

The Micatech has one robust aesthetical mounting bracket that goes with the flow of the 1200GS bike if you decide to remove the cases.

[​IMG]

Never spilled nuthin'....sidecases have lower wedge wall to keep contents in. Lids open in 90 degree format: used as picnic table, even at sidestand tilt as the lids have a lip, even better when on centerstand.

[​IMG]
  12. GB

Oddometer:
    Why? :ear

It works well for me and others. It fit properly the first time I installed it.
  13. WyldKard

Oddometer:
    That's my only complaint with the Micatech system. I get wanting to maximize space, but the bags sit so far out compared to the Jesse bags. If they sat closer in, the decision would be a no-brainer.
  14. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Because on every bike I saw them (in real life), they stick out far too much. The metal is pretty soft (or at least was on the once I tried), so they bent easily, which then makes it pretty good that they stick out so far as the chance of damaging the bike (rear plastics / subframe) is lower.

They can be taken off way to easy, bags included - I really wouldn't want to use them on an adventure tour. Also, I have installed some and seen some others installed and somehow I never saw a set that actually fitted really well (like the OEM Adventure Racks for example), where everything aligned right away and they were straight when installed.

Interesting enough as I really like the rest of the SW Motech stuff I've used so far (center stand, top case base plate, crash bars, other stuff).

And the Micatech cases: I kind of like them, but I think you can stuff things easier in top loading cases. Just easier to fill all the space. They are handy when you have a luggage roll on top, but other than that, I prefer top loading cases or cases I can easily take off without opening and carry into a Motel room and that actually sit stable on the floor - like the Givi E36 or so.

Right now I have BMW OEM Adventure cases. I like them, but next time I would buy Jesse Cases (Odyssey II), as those are narrower and come powder coated. The Micatechs come powder coated, but are waaaaaayyyy too wider on the F800GS.
  15. GB

Oddometer:
    They LOOK WIDE in pics, but in reality, they are barely wider than the handlebars, if that... Choice is good.. you like top loading, others prefer the semi-side loading of the Micatechs.. There are lots of top loaders on the market, Micatech is the only semi-side loaders, so those who "get it" get the Micatechs.. I've used Jesse's and found them inconvenient to use, because anytime I needed to remove something that happens to be at the bottom of the bag, I'd have to empty the pannier to get at what I want in there. As for the SW racks, they looked beefy and install with ease.. they fit right the first time..
  16. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Not entirely true. It just requires a different method of packing. When I switched from side loaders to Jesses I had that problem on my first trip with the top loaders. Traded the 28" duffel on a medium Motofizz bag which carries as much as the duffel but in a much more convenient way. And even fully loaded the bag doesn't interfere at all with the Jesse lids. It's the perfect kit for my style of travel, and those $2 canvas grocery store bags are perfectly sized for liners.

Nothing against Micatechs. They are very durable. I just couldn't get past how much they reminded me of my mother's old Singer sewing machine. :lol3
  17. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    You mean, "so those who prefer semi-side loading" get the Micatech. It's your preference vs. another persons preference. Both might have their advantages, but there is nothing "to get" or not to get around it.

I have used both styles for some years and I prefer top loading metal panniers for camping trips and side loading "Givi style" for motel trips. The Micatech kind of combine the downsides of both for me, so what's to "get" there?
  18. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    I chose Jesse for mine because:

1) The Micatechs when mounted are too wide for where I ride. If you are a pavement only type, that would not be a problem.

2) The mounting system is an off the shelf set of racks that are not up to any rough usage. Again, probably ok for pavement only use.

3) Side loading luggage is not poplar for a reason. Most manufacturers are producing top loading because it is in high demand. Top loading is a must for me and most people.
  19. GB

Oddometer:
    Obviously there is something about the Micatech case design that keeps the company in business, if everyone preferred top loaders, Micatech would not be in business.. Choice is good and people vote with their dollars. People who buy Micatech cases do not want top loaders and do not want your traditional Givi style clam shell side loaders.

Top loaders are simply cheaper to make, hence the profit margin is higher.
  20. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    You say it, if everyone preferred top loaders. I do not prefer top loaders in every situation. I like side loaders that I can take off easily and bring to the hotel room where they are not rolling around and are completely unusable.

As ugly as they are, but the Givi E36 and E45 are actually some of the best cases around for this situation.

If you like to imply that this is their only "advantage" I call bullshit. They are much easier to pack tight. Yes, it's not as easy to get to things then, but it's much easier to get all your stuff in ... less wasted volume.

I can see why some people like them, but as said, for my personal use case, they combine the downside of the other two case options:

- I cannot stuff and press my gear in there as good as with a top loader.

- I cannot take them off easily and use them like a suit case when moteling.

- They are wide and have a soft attachment system. The cases are pretty strong, I know that, but what does it help when I'm in the middle of nowhere and the racks are falling apart.

I don't care for the optics or whatever. I think they are probably the best overall system around for the R1200GS (the Pilot cases with they mounting system), but for me personally? No, I don't think they'll work for me.