What to buy?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by ocimpean, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ocimpean

ocimpean Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello

I wonder what to buy if all I have is between $3000-$4000, and I ride 90% street & highway, 10% forest roads and no mechanical inclinations?
    Did not ride last 7 years but looks that today's gas prices and the fact I moved to Florida, will help me getting back on a bike. The question is what bike?

I was thinking and for the price I see only few options:

First I thought about a KLR, but it seems all ppl with KLRs modify them and they want something to make it something like a 650 Wee Strom. Old 1100 GS's are something I am intrigued about as I have seen going at similar prices, but I am worried what can break down on a 10+ years old bike.

Please advise.
  2. ThumperDRZ

ThumperDRZ Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer:
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    klr Or a Versys or Wee Strom is good. DR650 maybe.
  4. ocimpean

ocimpean Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Versys is out of my price range. DR 650, hmm, looks like my old Yamaha XT I had that was lifting the front wheel from the pavement at speeds over 65 mph, so highway was not an option...
    Looking more and more towards a 2 cylinders, as I like longer trips, never rode a KLR though.
  5. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    get an old HONDA TRASNALP. they are good highway bikes, can go offroad ,can take two up across the country. it's in your price range and they are so COOL. it is more bike than you will ever need.

north rider
  6. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honda Transalp. 90% street + 10% dirt= 100% fun

Twin cylinder, so good enough on the highway.
    Still a good bit of aftermarket support for major systems.
    Easily in your price range.
    Comfortable. Great do it all bike.

Weestrom seems to be cut from similar cloth w/ newer suspension and aesthetics.
  7. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    From what I've seen of the TA's, if you take care of it, you can sell it for about what you paid to start with. Probably true with the NX650 also.

That's an option I've considered if I ever decide to sell my Uly - as in when I'm too old and feeble to lift it anymore. :gerg :muutt
  8. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    There have been a few Triumph Tigers in that price range. Good two up bike (note and disclaimer, I have NO experience with the Tiger, but it seems like a good bike and I have been tempted..) and for what you list as prerequisites, it may fill the bill.

Quirky side, Buell Ulyses? Again, seems to fill the bill though it may run a bit more?

Older BMW, 1100 GS?

Transalp, know nothing of them but they have a strong following.

Cagiva Elephant, have seen them here and elsewhere for about that money. Ducati Motor, shouldn't be too difficult in finding parts. And there is a strong "cool" factor there.

Some ideas.
  9. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    An older Uly (2006) is not a good place to start, especially in that price range. I've seen a Versys or two in the upper $4k's on CL lately. Heck of a deal at that price.
  10. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    My friend was in the exact situation last year. He went with the WeeStrom. He's happy with it except when I make him follow me on the ATV trails. You didn't seem to be doing that, so you should be good.
  11. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are some good deals on Versys, I know of people buying new ones for around $5000 OTD. So a nice used one for $4000 is very possible. Thay's why I didn't sell mine when I got a GS, it was too nice of a bike to let it go for what people where offering so I just kept it. Great bike by the way.
  12. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I'd get either a Tiger 955 or V-Strom DL650. I consider the V-Strom reliable but boring and the Tiger reliable and not boring. Both are only good for fire roads in my opinion, the engines are both great, dealer network is very good for Suzuki, fairly bad for Triumph.

For your price range I'd stay away from the GSs as those that you can get for the money are more project bikes than anything. Might be fun, but if it's your only bike and you're in for the ride not the wrenching, then I'd go with one of the two mentioned above.
  13. LoKick

LoKick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a super clean vstrom 1000 with 6700 miles for 4000, amazing machine for the money.
  14. troutwhisperer

troutwhisperer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I brought a super clean 05 DL650 with 1900 miles for $3500 four months which has proved to be a perfect bike for my needs: great for commuting to work, eats up highway miles, ocasional two up riding with the wife, and great for exploring gravel/fire roads, plus it gets 50 mph.
  15. ocimpean

ocimpean Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow..what a deal you got there!

I was thinking that the 650 sells for that price, and with that millage you must be very happy :D
  16. LoKick

LoKick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Totally stoked!!! Ride report later today.
  17. CBBaron

CBBaron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just bought an `04 Weestrom with 15k miles for $2600. I have not had a chance to ride it yet as we are buried in snow but based on the ride reports and pictures in the Vstrom offroad thread one should be a good choice for your use.
    One of the reasons I picked up one is the relative lack of issues reported on these bikes.
    Craig
  18. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Completely forgot about the Wee or V strom.

Another bike I have thought about to compliment the KLR. Two up, gravel, long-distance, comfort, after-market supply, well known, support everywhere.

Would be a good second bike.

'Course, they are not always cheap, I haven't done an exhaustive search, but most folks seem to want quite a bit of dosh for their Stroms.

But the Strom riders have pointed out some less expensive finds...
  19. yellowbirdrs

yellowbirdrs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wee Strom or a Vee if you are lucky to find a good deal they are cheap to own and fun.
  20. ocimpean

ocimpean Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exactly the kind I am looking for, I was digging thru posts and find out that VStroms owners have reported less issues with their bikes, then say KLRs or BMWs, as I am mechanically challenged ;)
    Only issue, they cost more on the used market so I have to look for a deal close to my area.
    KLR look cheap, but then I see ppl having to mod this and that, to be able to make it work as it should from the factory.
    To the person recommending the Triumph, I have no idea about Tigers, but I will do some reading, seem to fit the intended 90/10 usage, thanks for the advice.