DRONE's BMW G650 XCountry Mods

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DRONE, Apr 6, 2009.

1. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    The last change I made was adding the Ortleib soft panniers. I'm going in tomorrow to get the roll pin recall and the ABS recall taken care of. After that, my rear sprocket will need replacing soon. When that happens, I'll upgrade to steel and maybe also drop a tooth in front to give me a touch more torque in 1st gear for dirt. So that would be 15/47. Maybe 15/48. But basically I'm happy with where I got the bike right now for my kind of riding. It's just right for me. Plus, to be honest, I've spent more cash on farkles for this bike than I should've. I don't regret anything in particular, I just wish I'd spent less on the mods.

YMMV :bmwrider
  2. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Drone. try 14/47 works best on my XCH. Unless you are doing a lot of road miles then the 15 will give you a little bit more.
  3. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    Agree with Cruz. 14/47 is a lot more fun. The stock 16 has held up well, so I'll throw that on for the long "slab" rides.

.....and thank you for taking the time to post all your great mods!

P.S. What will happen with your pelicans now that you went soft?
  4. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I still have the Pelicans (though they are actually Seahorse cases) and will hold onto them for any long slab rides where I need more carrying capacity. I'll sell them when I sell the bike. Though generally speaking, if I'm gonna do a long paved ride with no dirt, I'll probably ride my Norge :evil .

14/47 is 87% of 16/47. Hmmmm . . . .
  5. ScottV

ScottV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Drone, Can you tell me where you got your driving light mounts? Did you reuse the stock headlight bolts? Do you have your Denali LED's mounted the same way?

[​IMG]

Thanks, Scott
  6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Scott, the lights came with the mounts from Martin Fabrication. It's a small biz, so I'm sure you could e-mail them to see if they'd sell you a set of the mounts without the lights. I couldn't use the OEM bolts--too short. But I think the kit from Martin included the longer bolts that I used. You could ask them about that too.

My Denali's are not mounted the same at all. I guess you didn't see my install write-up back on page 7. Here's a link to that post.
  7. ScottV

ScottV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I will try to contact them. Do you want to sell your old mounts?
  8. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Sold them to a guy with a 1200GS last Spring.
  9. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:
    I noticed you put the mounts for your side cases in the lids. How has that worked out for you long term? I've got some Pelican's and I was thinking of doing that exact same thing... :freaky
  10. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    There are two reasons for doing that.

1-When I bring the cases into a motel room and toss them on the furniture, the brackets will be on top. If on the bottom, I'd scratch the furniture. Applies to the furniture at home too.

2-When I want to get something out of a case, I lean against it, pop the latch, then slowly crack open the case. Using my leg, I allow the case to slowly open while I fish around inside. All the stuff stays in the case because I'm opening the deep part of the case, not the lid. If I mounted the brackets the other way around, everything would fall on the ground or at least spill out the sides before I could find that thing I'm looking for.

Makes sense to me. Never considered mounting them any other way. But maybe I'm not thinking this through. What are the advantages to putting the mounting brackets on the base instead of the lid? Are there any?
  11. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:
    Caribou does the base mount and most I've seen are mounted that way:
    [​IMG]

I like what you did and your rationale is sound. I'm just wondering if you had to do it again, would you mount it differently? Based upon what you said above, I think you're as happy as a bug in a rug. :freaky
  12. aborn76

aborn76 n00b

Oddometer:
    I had been looking around for a light bike that i could do short weekend trips and one that i could also tow with my 2010 Honda Fit If i want to go to the N.W) i live in miami. I was about to buy a 2009 KLR when at the last minute I came across a 2007 X -country with 400 miles and ABS for 4700.00 so i jumped on it and bought it (seen them at the dealer before, but they way over priced) i could not really find any forums with the aomount of details this one offered. I pick my bike up on Monday and i cannot wait wait to start modifying, once again thanks to all for the great information.
  13. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum! And congrats on the new bike! Hope you love it.

Don't miss the "main" thread for the XCountry--you can find it by clicking HERE.

Also, page 1 of the Index thread will connect you to lots of other good info on mods--HERE.
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Anybody who happens to wade their way through this thread this far, congrats! Hopefully you've searched the forum and found how much more info there is on modding the G650X. Offsite, if you haven't seen it yet, is--

Snooker's BMW G650 XCountry Page

If not, click on the link. It's worth a good long visit.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This bike was sold in the Flea Market--April 2012. Not monitoring this thread anymore. If you have questions for me, hit me up with a PM.
  15. djb_rh

djb_rh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang, looks like these aren't available for the G650X any longer. User ETMOTO hasn't been active on the site in three months, and the other links I've found are just for a handful of other bikes with no mention of ours. I do see the pegs Touratech sells, but these really do look better, particularly for those of us with gargantuan feet (size 14 US, 48-49euro). *sigh*

--Donnie
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    the ultimate trick is to use bag linners and leave the cases on the bike, just bringing soft luggage in with you.
  17. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm purchasing a 2006 BMW 650GS. It has the lower seat and so I'm looking for a higher seat (stock). Does anyone have a higher seat they want to sell/swap?
  18. kirbybikes

kirbybikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back from the great beyond! Enjoy all you new moders!

Full disclosure, I or my wife own Drone's luggage cases. They open a little odd but you get used to that and they work and look great.
  19. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    YES!! :clap

For whatever reason, Photobucket stats show most of the pics at the beginning of this thread are still getting 200 to 250 views a week. Don't know who's looking at these pics, but hope they're of some use to somebody somewhere. :1drink
  20. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer: