First time down in over 50 years of riding

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by bmwrider1946, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Callipygian Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're in good shape, but more importantly: did you get to keep the Venison? :deal

JC
  2. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    Glad both (all) lived to tell . What are the odds against 2 of the same brand new high end bikes getting destroyed the same way ?
    Regards,Ed
  3. srelegante

srelegante srelegante Supporter

Oddometer:
    you are ok! :freaky

Those deer are like mice.
  4. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're OK......:D

ATTGAT comes through again!!!! :clap

Think deer season should extend to 365 days/yr........

Deer strikes are up all over the country as we've been eliminating their predators.....

Time to cull the herd(s).......:nod
  5. chambersc

chambersc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a bike story, but I hit three mule deer in New Mexico one time in a Jeep Grand Cherokee at 70+mph. The Jeep didn't fare too well and I shudder to think how that would have gone on a bike. Probably wouldn't be typing this now.

Vermin. Hate deer. I'm not personally a deer hunter, but its mostly because I don't like the meat (I grew up on it) but I damn sure support anyone who is out killing the little bastards.
  6. bess227

bess227 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So glad all of you guys are ok.

Nov 16, 8pm, about 45 mph on my KLR when a black lab chasing a mostly black cat got under my front tire. They were both running wide open, the headlight on the KLR is not fabulous. I just didn't see them till I was on them. Dislocated shoulder, tore the rotator cuff and bicep tendon completely off the bone, but nothing else too serious. I didn't have on my pants, but the coat, gloves,boots and the Nolan did their job.

I am 5 weeks out from my surgery. Doing PT and trying to get better. Gonna take some time (Doc says August before I can ride) but feel very blessed. Had I not been wearing the gear things would have been much worse. Full face helmet saved my face, as the chinbar and shield took the brunt of the damage to the helmet during the slide.

As stated before....I ride practically every day, all year round. 70 lb dog hit the front tire at the right angle and it was over before I could say "SH*T!!".

As for me and my house........we will wear the gear. Safe ridin.
  7. ChrissRhodess

ChrissRhodess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've worn cheap gear my whole life. Just now am I investing in more quality stuff. It's story's like this that validate my expenditures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear your okay! I almost hit one a few weeks ago on the way up to Brooksville.
  9. Horizontal

Horizontal Goatin' Around

Oddometer:
    Same here.

One more example of good gear doing its job. Thanks for posting and glad you're still in one piece.
  10. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't know that but don't wanna collect if I can help it.
  11. lazeebum

lazeebum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I promise you don't want to collect insurance money for a helmet. Progressive really came through for me when I wrecked my concours.
  12. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Why is that?
  13. bmwrider1946

bmwrider1946 Young Old Fart

Oddometer:
    My new 2014 GSW has arrived. I will be picking it up very soon. In addition to the bike I will be buying new boots, helmet and jacket. I still have a bit of discomfort in my left shoulder, but I consider myself very lucky. I figure that is about $1,500 of gear but the dealership I use gives 15% off when buying a new bike so that will save a few bucks. Geico came through with the insurance settlement in a spectacular manner. I can't wait to get back on the bike.
  14. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you are up and running. New bike, new gear....this a good start. Its also good to hear the Insurance did not welch on the settlement....like they usually try to do...personal experience that forms that view
  15. mfgc2310

mfgc2310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have only come close to hitting animals, deer, beavers, dogs, bears, sheep, cows, moose, elk, bison, horses, a few I'm not sure what they were. These are all incidents on the road requiring some maneuvers but I don't fool myself mostly luck saved me from going down.

For what it is worth

1. You can't predict what an animal will do, especially a stationary animal.
    2. Animals can move at incredible speed over any terrain. So large ditches and significant distances from the road are very deceiving as far as your safety is concerned.
    3. If there is one, there is often another. If you are driving the same road often, the same animals are often at the same place at the same time of day/year. You can get somewhat good a predicting animal presence but this might get you in more trouble than it helps.
    4. Animals are most active just before full sunrise and just before full sunset. However in remote areas with little night traffic they will use the road like it was for them all night.
    5. Get the most powerful horn you can fit on your bike and use it frequently.
    6. Being behind other bikes, cars or trucks is worse than being first. But people too close behind you can be bad too. Meeting on coming traffic can also get animals in front of you.
    7. Get lights that light up the side of the road as far in front of you as possible and get in the habit of scanning both sides of the road and practice slowing down using your horn when you suspect something.
    8. Generally slow down but slow down when things don't look or feel right. Limit your speed in known danger situations.
    9. Watch for signs of other vehicles interacting with animals. Swerves, slowing, brake lights, trucks often do nothing. Sometimes these signs come from vehicle farther away than you would normally need to take into account 5km+!
    10. If you get the chance to brake, don't be braking when you hit the animal, keep time to have the bike straight and vertical, hang on with all your strength and all your limbs. If your not braking just before you hit you still have the last second option of swerving but if you hit while swerving or swerve off the road or into traffic it might be worse than if you had just hit straight on.
  16. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    If you collect insurance money it means you had an accident. If you collect money on a helmet it means you hit your head.

I carry full coverage on most "expensive" assets and valuables, including myself and family. I hope I never have to collect on any insurance policy.
  17. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for new boots, Sidi boots. You said your boots were 5 years old. What type of Sidi boots did you wear? Although, I where boots, they won't hold up to a crash as your have.

So, I'm looking. Sidi Crossfires will hold up, I'm sure. You mentioned yours wore to the toes.

If you wore cowboy boots, no telling what would of happened.

I ride a 650 V-Strom, I commute mostly, and I'm looking forward to taking longer trips. Right now, I don't ride much off rode. And I'm glad your OK.[
  18. bmwrider1946

bmwrider1946 Young Old Fart

Oddometer:

The exact boot is no longer available but the equivalent is the SIDI tour with Gore-Tex liner. I bought them in 2008 when I did a 15,000 mile ride on my RT. I will likely replace them with the same boot as most of my riding is on road. There is a SIDI on road Gore-Tex boot that I might also consider. The crossfires are a great boot but probably a little more than I need for my type of riding.
  19. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your quick response, but, will the boots you mentioned, or any BOOT, for that matter, hold up and give much better protection.

Some riders are willing to go more with Sidi crossover boots, for the added protection. I really value your opinion, since your experience. I'm looking to buy real soon.
  20. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you are ok!

I often think about this scenario while riding around the state. There has been many times I've been cruising at 70mph in the panhandle with nothing but pine trees surrounding me for hours. Hopefully the day never comes, but if it does, I hope I make out as well as you did!