2012 (November 8-12th) 4th Annual Cancer-Ride For Life

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by JohnnyAirtime, Jun 7, 2012.

1. JohnnyAirtime

JohnnyAirtime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd let ya all know,

We are again back on for another year of raising AWARENESS and FUNDS for a Children's "CANCER" benefit ride. The 4th Annual Cancer-Ride For Life event is in the final planning stages.

http://Cancer-RideForLife.com

This year... will be a NEW route, with new destinations.

The ride will be up to 1000 miles long, over 5 or 6 days.
    Traversing the California trails, deserts, and roads and running through Nevada and it's barren land. Of coarse we'll be stopping in and staying for possibly a full day in lovely LAS VEGAS!
    ... read more here for the tentative plan (it may change a bit); http://cancer-ridefo...l-RidePlan.html

YOU MUST have a bike with a license plate, and a light.
    .... read more here on the requirements; http://cancer-ridefo...quirements.html

I have requested information from ST.JUDES to allow us to donate to them. However, not gotten a response back yet... and will update the website once I know more, to whom we are donating.

COST of the ride will only be a "deposit" to cover;
    - event t-shirts/sweatshirts/stickers
    - hotel rooms (double occupancy)
    - event sweep riders (as I pay them to hang in back!)
    (total deposit yet TBD)

(please note; you will be required to provide your own "on highway" chase support, or carpool with someone to cover this requirement. You are responsible for all your own chase costs)

YOU will be required to raise money on your own for this event.
    ... this means, you'll need to come with either a $100 donation (easy way out)... OR, you can take an "event flyer" and "request for donation letter" (that I provide once your signed up) and promote the ride and our cause to local businesses, family, and friends. Last year, an event rider (Guy C) raised up to $1600 on his own! Truly opened my eyes to what we ALL can do to make a difference!!

Last year we raised just about $8400.00 for Rady's Childrens Hospital San Diego.
    ... I hope we can beat that amount, and raise our goal of $10,000 this year!!

We are also looking for large donations, in the forms of;
    - cash/check/charge (directly to the fund)
    - raffle items (relating to dirt biking in some way)
    - coupons, gift certificates, etc (relating to dirt biking in some way)
    - direct support (funds directed to the organizers of the event)

Please pass the word!!

We hope to see you looking to sign up!!
  2. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
  3. iRoC_nOtU

iRoC_nOtU Field Medic

Oddometer:
    this sounds great but I'm a little bit of a noob when it comes to off road riding on the KLR 650 ... dont have any other bike.. and if i were to come along which I must likly will haha.. do they have beginner to expert support groups to ride with? just wondering keep me posted.

SPC Spirko/ US Army
  4. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
    Beginner to experts are more then welcome! The terrain is varied, and in some places it's easy with lots of great scenery. Every now and again it gets tough, due to the lack of a trail or the deep sand, or even a rutted out hard dirt hill climb.

We don't have "groups" because the amount of riders is not that large. We all stick together or will fan out over a few miles to keep the dust down. However, we often regroup every 10 miles or less, and what I call "leap frog" the corners or Ys in the road.

Something that would help you in the ride, is a garmin based GPS and the ability to read it or comprehend where you need to be. It's very helpful on this kind of ride.

You'll also need a chase vehicle, or to carpool with another chase. This is explained on the website under "rider requirements", but in a nut-shell it's for your own safety. Our days are long, and we keep a pretty brisk pace. If you get tired, and want to bail out for a portion of the ride... or your bike has issues that can't be fixed trail side and need to put the bike up in the truck... you need to have that option. I don't supply anyone's chase for the ride.

Lastly, you'd be asked to obtain donations to the charity of choice. You can do the minimum, or you can work your tail off as a rider did last year (he raised $1600.00) and help make our ride most beneficial.

... before I'd even take your deposit, we'd have a lengthy phone conversation about the ride and your comfort level. This would help me explain some of the details and you'd be able to feel out the logistics and what the ride is all about. PM me your info, and I'll give you a call at your convenience.
  5. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
    Just a reminder!!!!

4th Annual, Cancer-RideForLife.... coming November 8th, 2012

A 1000 mile, 6 day, off-road dirt-bike ride, to help raise donations to benefit Children's Cancer. A great way for us off-roaders to give hope and support, to children who are battling cancer.

Did you know, 46 students TODAY were diagnosed with Cancer? Yup, 46 per day!! A number way too high for all Cancer patients, let alone children. Help them live a better life.... watch for our donation page, coming soon!

... I'll be watching for YOU to get involved.
  6. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
    Cancer-Ride For Life now has a donation recipient.
    CHILDREN'S CANCER RESEARCH FUND

I've started a donation page;
    http://support.childrenscancer.org/...g=fund&et=9NuslzjfmpL4qPX2JKRJsg&s_tafId=2431

Please note, all donations are tax deductible and once you donate via the CCRF page, you are emailed a receipt, with a TAX ID number and amount donated to use for next year's taxes.

I hope to see all of your names, families names and friends donating and adding comments to the guest book.

I have set our goal high this year. Knowing everyone is on a tighter budget more then ever, I have started the donation effort off with my own contribution. More then I can afford at this time, but knowing it'll start a trend with fellow off-roaders and their families I am more then willing to make that sacrifice. It's the least I could do!

Please pass on the information, and help support the event.

"Every little bit counts"
  7. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  8. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
  9. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a great cause and a great reason for a ride. Unfortunately, I can't make the ride, but made a donation. Hope you meet your goals!
  10. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
    Ya... I saw it... thank you!! I was updating my FB pages, and saw the email notification come through that you donated. THANK YOU very much... Nice to have those who understand our goal, our cause... and want to help.

Every little bit counts!
  11. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
    Not seeing a whole lot of familar names, or action from this site as I'd hoped.
    I know there's a lot of good people out there, and those who intend to support the cause...

Please don't wait until the last minute. Donate today. Help us reach our goal!!!
    http://ccrf.convio.net/goto/CRFL

AND, if your interested... we still have a couple positions open for the ride.
    Come on... don't be scurrrrd. :D
  12. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
    Imagine... a 1000 miles on a dirt bike, over the mountains and through the woods... across barren desert...

Hard to imagine?? Let me give you some ideas of the distance involved.

It's like driving straight from San Diego to;
    Cabo San Lucas or La Paz (Mexico)
    Canada (Vancouver)
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Kansas
    Montana
    Nebraska
    South Dakota

... however, your not in the car with A/C blasting sitting on a nice cushy seat.
    Your on a dirt bike, with a small uncomfortable seat eating bugs and dust. Riding over rocks, and terrain most off-roaders avoid.

DEFINITELY Not for the squeamish!!!

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT

[​IMG]
  13. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
    Get some video action of the 1st Annual Cancer-Ride For Life... I'm sure you'll feel the warmth as Alan Clowers gives a moment of silence and honors those we are riding on behalf of;
    http://youtu.be/E3XsCBYfpBQ

[​IMG]
  14. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
    Time to once again talk about the Cancer-Ride coming up...

We've have some misfortune, and a few riders back-out of the trip.
    With the lack of riders, it threatens the ride AND reaching our goal of $10,000 in donations.

I know times are tough for most people these days, and I'm one who is also feeling that pain. 917 days of actual unemployment. Specifically; 2 years, 6 months and 2 days. I personally, am "barely" afloat and making mortgage, or utilities each month. I can't afford to put on the ride, let alone RIDE IT myself. However, I dug deep and donated a $100 and will be making the ride... I have to. I realize, it's not for me that "the show must go on"... It's to see those smiles on the kids, when they are told of our donation efforts and what we were able to accomplish in such a crappy economy and during such high unemployment rates.

I'm not one to "make it" personal when donations are slow... but I do "take it" personal. I take this whole ride, and it's cause personal. After watching the strongest woman I know (my mother) wilt away in 6 months, due to her short fight with pancreatic cancer... I take anything with the word Cancer, VERY personal. You should too, especially if you have children!

Kids don't deserve to know such a disease. Yet, they do. Approximately 4 kids every day (in the USA alone)... meet their maker from Cancer. Yet, 75% of the kids with Cancer can survive if given proper treatment.

It's given, Our dollars DO make a difference. It's time to donate;
  15. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
    Being we are slow to make our goal for donations, for this event... we've opened our horizons.

We are also, having a FISHING TOURNAMENT... Bass fishing. So, you LOCAL anglers... listen up!!!

[​IMG]
  16. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm suprised not so much interest in this. But If I had to guess, the requirement of having your own chase driver prob throws a lot of guys off from around here. Adv is mostly about taking trips on just bikes or maybe just trucking the bike to the start. Have a nice ride.
  17. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
    Ya, me too!!! We had 7 riders bail out, due to 'whatever' reasons. Now we're down to under 10.

If anyone was interested, the requirements/rules can be bent a little bit. As we are providing chase support for EVERY rider on this particular event. Not one of them, needs to "bring" a chase this year... so, if interested parties were serious, and only thing holding them back was a "chase" requirement... they should be contacting me directly.

We'll often have riders carpool their chase. Meaning, if a rider doesn't have a chase but there's room in another... he'll join up with them and just pitch in for fuel, etc. It always works out, and often the riders coming from across states will get taken care of like they are family. The farthest thus far, a father son from Baton Rouge Louisiana. Great people, who have been back to partake.

First and foremost; Our rides are tailored to the riders ability, but not always are we on any type of road or trail. When I hear of ADVriders, I think big bikes... large packs... and roads or trails. At one point, a rider brought his XR650R (not a big bike by any means), and complained that he should have been on his CRF450X. Mostly due to the terrain we ride, and the fun the smaller/lighter displaced bikes can have. SO... having a chase, is of the utmost importance to carry the overnight gear and the emergency supplies. As well, they'll fuel us in remote places (most of us can't make 100 miles on one tank). It's more for peace of mind, if and when someone gets hurt... or, they numb up and need to get in the truck prematurely.

Thank goodness, I've only needed the truck(s) a few times in the last four years of this event. From broken bolts to broken bones and broken bikes and everything in between. I used to ride Baja all day long, with no chase.... once my buddy was shot in the chest in 2008, I decided I won't ride ANYWHERE without a chase vehicle nearby or knowing my whereabouts. I've just recently quit carrying Satellite phones (between me and chase), and now use SPOT CONNECT for communication. God forbid we ever need the 911 feature.

... I know that was more info then needed. But I respect the guys on this forum. Lots of good people and great knowledge. I thought I'd share my "reasoning" for such a requirement, or why I've put certain rules in place for our event(s).

RIDE ON!!
  18. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
    ***RAFFLE***RAFFLE***RAFFLE

Our site now has the process/instructions up on how to enter the raffle.
    ... we've got some great prizes thus far, and will have more come time for the event!!

Buy your tickets now! All proceeds go directly to the cause!

DIRECT LINK: http://cancer-rideforlife.com/4th-Annual/4thAnnual-Raffles.html
  19. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
    DOUBLE YOUR DONATION!!!!!
    A special group of donors will match donations made to our cause, up to $25,000, through November 15th.
    That means your tax-deductible donation will be doubled if you give before this important deadline

When you maximize your gift, we'll maximize its impact by bringing innovative and lifesaving treatments
    to kids battling cancer. Kids like Ethan, a budding singer, whose vocal cords were threatened by cancer.
    He needed the help of our world-class team to restore his voice, and save his life.

Donate now to double your donation. Thank you!
  20. JohnnyAirtime

Oddometer:
    Good day fellow off-roaders!!

At this time, next Thursday (8th)... Cancer-RideForLife will be underway!! Riding from Pine Valley to Barstow (284 miles) for the first day. Bound for Las Vegas, and will end up back in Plaster City Tuesday (13th). 5 days of riding, covering a 1000 miles of mostly (96%) off-road terrain.

With only 7 days left before the ride... and getting just-a-tad more then 50% towards our goal, we still need lots and lots of help to make it 100%.

REACH DEEP People... give to the kids. Let's help them trick-or-treat one more year. Open presents for another Christmas. Get to play yet another day!!!

Donate here; http://ccrf.convio.net/goto/CRFL

Thank you, to those already given to the cause.
    It's much appreciated, and every dollar matters.
    You've all made me smile, and I know there's kids all over smiling because of your contributions!!

Don't forget to get your raffle ticket money in!!
    More info here; http://cancer-rideforlife.com/4th-Annual/4thAnnual-Raffles.html

MY SPOT Tracking device links, for the event;
    I'll have two tracking devices running for this event. One of them will be in Chase1, and will provide location tracking for the truck(s). The second one, will be on me... and will allow me to send text messages (to our chase trucks) and tracking information via the online google map provided by SPOT. It might be a bit confusing for those watching our progress as they sit at home behind a computer, but each spot track (waypoint) is labeled per the device sending the track. As an example; The chase truck's device is labeled "JAT-CHASETRUCK" and the device I'll be wearing is labeled "JAT-RIDER". All the viewer needs to do is hover over the waypoint on the map, and they should get information on what device sent the track point. It'll also be more obvious to some being the chase trucks will be on major roadways, and we'll be out in the boonies.

Here's the link to watch our daily progress;
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0RtPo8bIoBJmqbUXFziWHaIT41X1JEmeh