Sputnik

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by eldomike, Dec 7, 2013.

1. eldomike

eldomike Who Cares Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bought this to use on a Guzzi backroads/gravel project rig....it won't be used for real rough going....been a while since I've had a Sputnik...how are the frames on these....tough enough? Will probably replace the body with some sort of box ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. nieppi

nieppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the frame is good
    I have broplem with wheel axel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    But my driwing is guite rough
  3. eldomike

Oddometer:
    Ouch! Though the axle size looks about right...
  4. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
    Yea but it looks like, by the road, he might just ride that GW as hard as I push my Guzzi's.:evil:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Looks like the axle already had a crack in it where it's rusted.
  6. eldomike

Oddometer:
    good eye, hadn't noticed that...
  7. eldomike

Oddometer:
    Here is the other Sputnik rig I had for a little bit....wish I had saved more pics...

[​IMG]
  8. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    :raabia I really like those old Guzzi's

I still remember taking a Cali with the big fairing out for a test ride at Americade, had the biggest grin of any bike I tried (and every year I tried everything I could get my hands on)
  9. eldomike

Oddometer:
  10. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    Nice history, every one great in their own way :deal
  11. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    We imported a lot of the Sputnik sidecars, The frames are fine, The wheels are weak, Never seen an axle problem before. We have mounting hardware to work with these for many bikes. We have a very limited supply of new parts still.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  12. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    I sheared the axle on the one I had on the Tiger. Later I tore the swingarm where it is squashed flat to take the axle. I replaced the wheel with something which took a bigger axle, had an axle turned to fit and installed it in some box tube which slid over the OEM swing arm and was welded in place. Never had another problem with it.

Sputniks are pretty stout and that bike was heavy and got hammered way off road. I would be surprised if there was a problem with the axle under normal use.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1395&stc=1&d=1014618028
  13. Lee 303

Lee 303 razryadka

Oddometer:
    I bought mine still on the shipping pallet a few years ago and changed the wheel bearings before even unbolting the frame from the wood crate. Those original wheel bearings were not up to today's or even 50 year old industry standards. I'm still using the original wheel which is somewhat roundish makes rebalancing the wheel frequent and critical. You will likely feel a small high speed head shake generated by that imbalance. For some reason the chrome adhered to the wheel rim rather than peel off in sheets as was my experience with other Warsaw pact nations products in the 70s. The stock shock absorber started banging on sharp bumps. I took it apart to find it partially filled with foul smelling mixture of rust, metallic sludge and liquid derived from what must have been the septic system of some long forgotten Gulag. My guess is whatever state owned enterprise that made lubricants supplied both the shock oil and the bearing grease. I'd rather not comment on body style or finish. The light fixtures are identical to the Ural, the tail/brake lens was busted when I picked it up, many have posted warnings they are fragile and I would agree. Don't go nuts when you tighten the screws or you will certainly break something. Lens,housing,screw in order of probability. The lens was not available seperately a couple of years ago so I had to buy the whole schmeer. That may have changed as Ural has more dealers now.
    The frame is undoubtedly the best part. Safe and sound midway between a late model Velorex and a Ural for weight and capacity. Who ever welded it did a far better job than I could even hope to do. I had a Ural tub on mine for the Summer did a few dirt and gravel roads without any drama.
  14. sidecarxer

sidecarxer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That axle has had a HUGE hit in the past...maybe a previous accident, and has not been checked before re-use.
    Sidecar axles take a hell of a hard life and in sidecarcross they are a part that is allways checked. That and the bearings of course.
    The Wasp uses a very thick axle for that very reason as they also use the single sided swingarm set-up. Check them out.
  15. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    We typically convert them to a one inch axle with a different wheel etc.
  16. larrylarry75

larrylarry75 Aye Chihuahua

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if Jay changed out the axle on mine when he installed a bimmer wheel with disc brake. In any event reading this reminded me I've got the original Sputnik wheel stashed away in the barn. It's probably full of air from Mother Russia. Or Jay...:rofl

To date the only non-local place I've been to was Deadhorse; total mileage is low, less than 15k but so far it seems to be holding up. The latches for the clam shell seem pretty rattly but they still work, rough as ever. Fingers crossed. :clap
  17. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  18. eldomike

Oddometer:
  19. Feo

Feo Commentator

Oddometer:
    Looks good for a forgotten sidecar.

:lol3

Glad I could help you make room in the shop.

:D
  20. eldomike

Oddometer:
    No shit!! You know you are to flakey when you forget you own a side car