Lobsters to Llamas, Maritimes to Argentina

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Kedgi, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty excited. I am in the Tampa International Airport, waiting for my flight to Newark and in spite of this week's nasty weather in the Newark area, it is scheduled to depart on time.

I arrive within 5 minutes of Angele's flight home and we are seated across the aisle from each other on the Newark to Moncton flight. How's that for Karma?

I dropped the bike with the guy who's going to take it to New Brunswick this monrning. The ride ing portion of this trip is over and I will be home in about 11 hours:clap One full day before my welcome home party:D:1drink:freaky:eek1
  2. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    A few words about shipping a moto back to NA from SA.

I like Javier and Sandra at DakarMotos and they did what they said they would do. They arranged the shipping and told me where and how to pay for it.

Then things go sideways. You pay for the bike at Navcon in Downtown BA. They are some sort of freight forwarder. The waybill gives a flight number date and time. Don't believe it. The actual carrier, Lan Cargo Chile was six days moving the bike. That to me is unacceptable. I was never told this was a possibility. I was told a one day extra wait has happened in the past but never more and I went ahead and booked a flight and made plans accordingly.

I'm not sure what to suggest to avoid this but I would like to have had a deliver by (date) promise, where if they fail to meet the date, you at least get a partial refund. 6 days in South Florida, combined with a car rental can easily cost as much as a month in SA.

In any case the agent in Miami saw that the bike had been delayed six days and apologized profusely, not that that helps much after the fact but he did put a rush on to get my Customs paperwork and US Customs was a breeze. They never even looked at the bike. The fact that it was dirty never came into question. All they wanted to know was that, that I had bought the moto in Canada and that I in fact intended to return the Moto to Canada. I filled out a couple short forms and was done with Customs in 20 minutes.

Next will be a report about arriving home, and the party and that will put a cap on the Ride Report. I've enjoyed writing it and I've enjoyed all your kind words and submissions and encouragement in the rough spots.

Advrider has been my link to the outside world all thses many months and i will miss making daily updates. Maybe a book based on adventure riding is what I need.

Not sure what's next. Time will tell.

Kedgi

Dwight
  3. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    The welcome home party will be this Saturday, March 9th at the Club BoisHebert in Shediac. It is easy to find. It is right across Main Street from the Co-Op's Driveway basically.

If you are reading this you are welcome. Come and meet some great people, have fun! Mingle!

We have had an overwhelming response to the party that our modest home could not accommodate, hence the move to the club.

Like most parties Angele and I have it will start early on Saturday afternoon to accommodate those that have to drive in from a distance and or may have to leave early and it will go on well into the night.

Don't be shy. The more the Merrier!

I will be there! In spite of all the snafu's with shipping, it has all worked out and I will attend my welcome home party!:lol3

It's all good

Kedgi
  4. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
  5. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Wanted to say MANY THANKS for doing this Riding Report and I have enjoyed it throughout. Thanks for sharing your advice/thought and appreciate few head-up. I'll keep them in mind when I head down south in 2015. Again, thanks!
  6. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dwight:

I'm also shedding a tear for the loss of my morning reading,

but happy that you are being reunited with Angele, and how lucky was that, that you managed to snag the seat beside her on the plane

have a good time at your welcoming home party,
    we can't be there but perhaps we can celebrate later in the summer

welcome home !

bob
  7. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks Guys,

If you are in Shediac anytime, let me know! i would love to meet travelers and treat them right. i know what it's like to be on the road

I almost forgot to mention. I weighed myself last night. I have dropped from my normal 190 lbs to 167 and that's after a week of eating stuff i like.

I must have been 165 when i hit Miami. last time I was 165 i was in High School.

Next time I do one of these trips, I'm packin a lunch.

Kedgi
  8. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    You are welcome! My pleasure!

Ride Safe!

Kedgi
  9. shirtman

shirtman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just click your heels together 3 times and say...there is no place like home.....there is no place like home! So sorry we will miss the party...we will see you in future travels - I'm sure of that my friend.
  10. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    But did u join the mile high club? :p

Sent from celly via Tapatalk 2
  11. Digasi

Digasi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you have made it home and congrats on completing the trip.

Thank you for your write ups, it has been a pleasure to read.
  12. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

KW July 28th:clap
  13. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    That would have been a good idea but no.

Our last flight was delayed three hours and we finally got home at 2:50 am

Bob the cat was so excited to see me it was awesome, he was excited to the point he was running around sideways and yelling, if cat's can yell. Very flattering to be loved so much by a little animal.

Angele was sooooooo relieved to have me back home. :lol3 Nice!
  14. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

The pleasure is all mine, It is so nice to have so many faithul and appreciative readers.

Kedgi
  15. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:

:rofl
    I call that getting to your fighting weight. I came back at 187 and now right at 215:puke1 I seem to do much better riding my bike traveling keeping the weight off where I should be. I think I should be right about 190-195 optimally. Sounds like you went a little lower than me, hell I even spent the last week in the hospital in Caracas:lol3 Too bad you never found any good go-to food down in SA, I can live on empanadas and beer easily. I'm betting you'll look back and miss it one of these days.

I'm sure the pounds will come back easily with the help of Tim Horton's and McDonalds:deal

Welcome home:freaky
  16. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I do feel good about dropping to my "Fighting" weight but it was a tough way to do it. I'm really glad I didn't end up in a SA hospital, imagine the food there! Yikes!
  17. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Well it's time to close out this ride report.

Here are a few pictures of my welcome home. I am a very lucky guy to have so many wonderful friends.

I was slack about taking pictures in Florida. Key West really is a home away from home for me and I don't even think to take pictures there anymore but I did snap a couple of pics

My buddy Pat, who I was glad to see again and have a couple days to drink some beers with and "catch up"

[​IMG]

My new friends from the Parrot The Parrot is a great place to meet friends, old and new.

Dave and Stacey

[​IMG]

When I got back to Shediac, my neighbors, Edwin and Gisele had installed this wonderful sign on my house

[​IMG]

My cat, Bob, was sooooo happy to see me. I am flattered to be loved so much by a wonderful little animal.

[​IMG]

Then I was treated to an amazing welcome home party. It went on for two days and was kicked off with a beer with Joey

[​IMG]

My friends and loved ones

Tara

[​IMG]

Cindy

[​IMG]

Richard, Red and my Riding buddy and great friend, Tom, all guys I have known since we were kids in grade school

[​IMG]

Oh yah! I put on a tropical shirt....Shirtman wanted to be here, but the trip from Iowa is a long one, so this shirt's for him.

My brother, Kirby

[​IMG]

Liam and Madison

[​IMG]

The Cormier's

[​IMG]

Steve and Louen

It was Steve that rode with me to the USA border on my departure day so many months ago.

[​IMG]

My neighbor, Roger

[​IMG]

Angele's aunts, Bernice and Dina and her uncle Leonard or Nerd as she calls him

[​IMG]

All My Shediac riding buddies, Mike, Louen, Steve, Marc, Annette, Mike

[​IMG]

Irene and Shirley

[​IMG]

Michelin, Sheri and my buddy Tommy

[​IMG]

Lisa and Sonia

[​IMG]

Dale, a friend since grade 6, who took the time to drive up from Saint John

[​IMG]

My new friend, Rory, who is Riverman on ADVrider. I met Rory through his avid reading of the Ride Report. How cool is that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andre, Janice Ann and my wonderful friend Tammy who was a great support on this ride. I loved all the news from home and nice emails she always took the time to send me.

[​IMG]

Great neighbors and friends

Edwin and Gisele

[​IMG]

More wonderful neighbors, Marc and Nicole

[​IMG]

Rachel and Joey

[​IMG]

Can you tell, the love of my life, Angele, was happy to have me home?

[​IMG]

I am truly a lucky man!

This will wrap up this report. I have enjoyed writing it and look forward to the next time I can write one.

Thanks to all of you who read it, contributed and supported me, Steph's cause, and the ride in general. I have really enjoyed this opportunity to share with you. ADVrider has really been a wonderful tool and improved my enjoyment of this ride immensely. Many Thanks!

Kedgi

Dwight
  18. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    What a wonderful ending. It's been great riding along with you. Gracias!!
    :bow
    Planning the next one yet?:evil
  19. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks and yes! Was talking to a buddy in Newfoundland this morning about a planned ride to Zipolite MX next Winter!:clap
  20. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You truely are a lucky man, Dwight. And I am truly moved and at the same time relieved you are back with your loved ones. :1drink
    Putting in a request to the weather god to start spring in your neck of the woods.:norton
    Toad