Russia,Mongolia,Ukraine.....Netherlands on a KLR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Doogle, May 7, 2013.

1. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    UPDATE. I am sorry if all my pictures aren't exactly where they should be, or sub titled incorrectly. It is because the underhanded "PHOTOBUCKET" company pulled the carpet out from under the feet of millions of users. Photobucket used to store all my pictures for ADVrider for free. Suddenly, in 2017 they announced they want $400 a year for this service. I'm having to go through thousands of pictures and decide which picture I inserted. Several years later my memory is a little mixed.
    =================================================================
    I am adding the below link to show the route I took. The son of a friend made the map and daily links of my travels so his mother could follow along easier. I wish I knew how to create things like this.
    http://user.xmission.com/~bendigr/dougtrip.html
    =====================================================================

I am planning to ride my '06 KLR650 from Cincinnati to Vancouver,Canada the last week of May. From there I want to fly the bike to Seoul,Korea. From there I will need to get insurance,license,and hopefully nothing else to ride in their country.I will ride it to a port on the Sea of Japan and put it on a ferry to Zarubino,Russia.I want to use this ferry instead of Vladivostok.The huge amount of traffic going to Vladivostok means you may wait 4 days after arriving,just for your turn in customs. The ferry going to Zarubino just started service March 17.So there is a possibility something could go amiss.

I know of several others going about the same time.Hope to meet up with any of them if possible. I was going to post my blog on Horizons Unlimited (never done that before) because they seem to be more oriented to Asian travel.But after looking at how to set it up,I threw in the towel. Way too complicated for my simple mind.

With 2 weeks to go,I am not looking too good.I have the rear shock apart waiting for parts.Last night I started replacing the fork seals and oil.With 32,000 miles on the bike,I thought I better replace the worn bushing also.All my parts should be here by Thursday.

I am not ready for this trip in any way. Schedule,route,things to see,language skills,or packing. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 to replace my netbook.It looks like a year learning curve.So I won't be able to use it to full potential.It does have a translation app. Of course I know nothing about apps. I read that I could buy a hotspot and a sim card (whatever they are) when I get there,and use the tablet as an international phone.
    camrynholt likes this.
  2. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh hell yeah Doogle:clap:clap:clap

I'm so in for this one:freaky
  3. 0theories

0theories Enthusiastically Skeptical...

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm thinking of doing something kinda similar to this on my KLR in about a year. Korea, Russia and so on (maybe Thailand on the way there). Looking forward to a detailed report on how you pull this off... Good luck on getting ready! :eek1 Sounds like an amazing trip that I'll be following :freaky
  4. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Your going to have more than one person who wants to do this trip watching you. Motorcycle travel is a bug that keeps biting you. Good luck with the bike and have an excellent trip:clap.

Cheers Slowphil
  5. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts.

Oddometer:
    I'm in. :lurk
  6. nightflyer

nightflyer Hors contrĂ´le

Oddometer:
    Hey Doug,

good to see you are at it again!
    Let me know if you plan to stop by Almaty, would be cool to catch up a bit... can't believe how long it has been since we last met!:deal
  7. Doogle

Oddometer:
    You're in for this one? Does that mean you want to go with me? You could postpone your return to S.A. for a while.
  8. Doogle

Oddometer:
    I wanted to go to Kaz but ran out of time.Had to send my PP away to have $82 worth of pages added. Then the Russian visa time.I probably could have gotten it in time.But decided not to take the chance.Besides,I couldn't name anything there that I wanted to see.

I didn't know you were there.If you would show up at the ALARR once in a while,I would know these things.
  9. bwokentoof

bwokentoof Pollyanna Man

Oddometer:
    Subscribed:wink:
  10. peter13

peter13 FJ cruiser

Oddometer:
    East of the Blue Mountains. Sydney Australia.
    Good luck mate. I ride a KLR and will be very interested in how you set it up and how it performs.
  11. Doogle

Oddometer:
    My shock is back together with a new heavier spring.My forks are back on the bike with new seals and bushings.I replaced fuel lines and cooling system hoses.One old hose leaked antifreeze as I grabbed it near the water pump.I raised my front fender.I lowered it before my last trip after reading it would be more stable at higher speeds.

LEI is the freight forwarder that will fly my bike to Korea.Pacific Motorsports motorcycle shop will probably crate my bike for the flight.I will post costs later. :rofl
  12. blackcaps

blackcaps Do it alone

Oddometer:
    Don't understand what you are saying here. Without visa you cannot go to Russia. So what?

And please give a clue as why the Netherlands is end point.
  13. AlpineGuerrilla

AlpineGuerrilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think he was referring to Kazakhstan, not Russia. :deal Read the full text again in context:

14. KiLO

KiLO Adventure Cafe

Oddometer:
    If you haven't yet, do yourself a favor and watch "Long Way Round". Amazing documentary series the BBC aired of Ewan McGregor and his buddy and fellow actor Charley as they travel east across Europe and the US. 20,000 mile trip through the countries you're planning.

You can find it pretty easily on Amazon, or their website here.
  15. SeanF

SeanF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. :clap:freaky
  16. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 I'm in!:clap
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal the only thing between want and did is do Supporter

Oddometer:
    Subscribed...best of luck to you and take lots of pictures:deal
  18. MrGoldfish

MrGoldfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk

As a fellow KLR owner, I can't wait to see how yours holds up on this ride. Best of luck to you. :clap
  19. marquezren

marquezren n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll be following you....

20. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Good to have everyone following.

I had to truck the bike home yesterday.:ddog I had a fuel delivery problem.My float valve stuck closed.I ordered a new needle valve and cleaned the valve bore/seat (not replaceable) the best I could. I'm glad it happened near the comforts of home and not in the middle of Kansas. ThrottleMeister would have had to save me there.