Elefant Sightings?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by erappaport, May 24, 2006.

1. gthong

gthong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to thank all who offered help and suggestions with my charging issue on my 1995 elefant.. I put a dumbo /electix regulator in it and it works great!!

taking off the fairing was no where near a big a deal as I thought it would be and I was very pleased to see everything under the tank/fairing in real nice, prisine shape including the air filter...

I had offered the bike up for sale and am now glad I kept it!!
    greg
  2. flan8tive

flan8tive Flea Tibet!

Oddometer:
    Yes, duh..I meant down. :D Thanks for the link.
  3. LodiHal

LodiHal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings Gents. I've managed to screw up my new-to-me Elefant, and would really appreciate the wisdom of the collective. 1994 e900 elefant.

While riding, it started to run out of gas. I switched it to reserve and found a gas station within a mile or so. From there I rode it home, about 1-2 miles. Rode it a few blocks the next day when it started cutting out and missing like it was running out of fuel. Problem, I forgot to switch the gas petcock back to the normal on position and left it in reserve. Ever since, the back cylinder does not fire. I found a thread about the fuel pump not priming, but since the front is running ok, I don't think that's the problem. (I did switch the petcock back to normal, still have the problem.)

I'm looking for suggestions on how to start troubleshooting this problem. I'd really like to ride it again and promise not to be a dumbass again! :huh Thanks for your help!
  4. flan8tive

flan8tive Flea Tibet!

Oddometer:
    Lodi-

Did you do anything with the valve on the right side of the tank? No idea if that has any effect or not, but maybe there's an air bubble in there somewhere...
  5. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    I am not a ducati mechanic but I am a mechanic. I would check things systematically.
    1. Thought it is unlikely and a weird coincidence if it is i would check the rear cylinder for spark first. just to make sure that there is no issue there.
    2. If there is spark, I would take off the tank and open the rear carbs float bowl screw and see if it is dry. If it is then take it off and check the needle valve assembly.
    3. if it is wet, take off the airbox and slide he slide up with your finger to see if maybe the needle valve is letting fuel pour in.
    4. If neither of those are the case and there is fuel getting into the cylinder, maybe check that the belt didn't some how jump or break.
    Good luck.
  6. LodiHal

LodiHal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did screw it all the way closed (up), then screw it all the way down (open), but no change. Thanks for the info though. :ear
  7. LodiHal

LodiHal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll try these steps for my project tomorow night. I don't know a thing about Ducati's, so this is all new to me. :ear
  8. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    RichBeBe's suggestions seem right on too me but. Why would you sell an 1150gs one of the easiest bikes in the world to work on and buy an Elefant one of the hardest ? Keeping in mind I own both. DB
  9. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    +1 My 900 Elefant is the best combination of handling, smoothness, and torquiness in my garage but the maintenance is a nightmare compared to my GS.
  10. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I knew there was a reason I liked you Donkey, my Fant has never left me anywheres but I'm certain Italians do art better than engineering. The Fants won't out handle the oilheads on the pavement but are far better on gravel and secondary goatpaths.DB
  11. «dmx_must_fly»

«dmx_must_fly» Elefant Rider

Oddometer:
    Lodihal
    first thing first
    replace the spark plug and check for spark while doing so.
    if you have spark and it won't fire with the new spark plug then its probably carburator related.
    if you don't have spark then swap the cdi's
    if now you have spark on the rear and no spark on the front its a faulty cdi.
    if you still don't get a spark in the rear then it could be the pick up - check rsistence about 120 ohms if you have a short cut disconnect the pick ups from the cdi's and replace the pick up. it could fry the cdi.
    if the pick up is fine then you have to start pulling the bike apart and looking into the coils and connections
    there is no problem what so ever riding on reserve unless you got water in teh tank.
    I ride always on reserve. that way I don't get stuck when the main is dry.
  12. LodiHal

LodiHal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my GS, but the seating position makes my bad knee really hurt after about 40 minutes of riding. I've tried everything I can think of: barbacks, 2 different footpegs, lowered the footpegs, 2 different seats, etc. Which is a shame, as it's probably the best all around bike I have ever owned.
  13. LodiHal

LodiHal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. When I first heard this bike start up, I knew I had to have it! It's rude, crude and obnoxious!
  14. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hiya everyone! For my first post, it seemed appropriate for it to be about my Elefant. I have a 1988 Dakar replica 750 Elefant in Luckie Explorer livery. It's number 000287. I have owned it since almost new (dealer demo miles only on it when I bought it in New Zealand). At the moment it's in a few pieces due to the rear cylinder dropping a gudgeon clip and lunching the piston and cylinder. I've been a bit busy to get the rebuild sorted. I'd be keen to hear from anyone with similar or same bike.
  15. unknown1

unknown1 At Peace

Oddometer:
    You have to provide pics of your bike.
  16. MC-Leather

MC-Leather Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Oepn the float bowl drain, check for gas/water/funk. I bet you had something at the bottom of the tank and now it's in the carb.

Once you solve the problem install a in-line fuel filter.
  17. cyclecat

cyclecat half post a day wonder

Oddometer:

I don't think I have the directions anymore, but I will look. I didn't like the large overhang on the right and NO ACCESS spacing for the glove box on the left, so I cut the welds on the top mounts for my GIVI rack with a grinder, shifted the whole fit to the left and rewelded it. It's not a big deal for most any welder.
  18. cyclecat

Oddometer:

Two 'Fants and GC at Westfest in Sipapu last month too! I didn't get the GC in for a pic with us but talked to the owner. Mine's the Blue one.

[​IMG]
  19. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Now why did I not see either of those bikes? That's right by the beer trailer and I never freakin' saw them. Did they have cabins and have the bikes parked down there? :scratch
  20. cyclecat

Oddometer:
    Yellow one was at a cabin at the opposite end of the parking lot. I went home at night since I live 35 miles away... :ricky